• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Problem loading a grayscale jpg as a region

Started by jgehrts, July 16, 2008, 06:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgehrts

I'm sure I'm missing some really simple step, but here goes:

I have a grayscale terrain map that I'd like to import into SC4.  It's in its own folder in the Regions folder, along with a config.bmp.  So, I load the region and use the ctrl+shift+alt+r and load up my grayscale jpg... but then nothing happens.  None of the rendering each city tile, nothing.  It just sits on the blank terrain that was there originally.

I've successfully loaded terrains before (albeit a long time ago), so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I know that the jpg has the correct dimensions, since the game squawked at me that it wasn't the proper size originally.

Any help would be much appreciated!

sam

Make sure the image file you are using is true greyscale (not 64.7Mil colours using only shades of grey, it must be a 256 pallet). If its not, then use an image editor to change it to greyscale.

jgehrts

That was exactly the problem!  Now I just have to adjust it so the terrain isn't all completely underwater.   ;D

sam

If you have no terrain mods that alter the sea level, then sea level is at a grey value of 86. So use 87 for your lowest land and 84 for any shallow water you want.

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jgehrts

Quote from: wouanagaine on July 17, 2008, 08:04:49 AM
Why don't you use SC4Mapper ? http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=179

Or
SC4Terraformer ? http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=731

I wish I could use SC4Terraformer, but I get the DirectX error (on both a Vista and an XP machine).  I'm not so sure that downgrading my version of DirectX wouldn't bork some other software I have.   :)  That seems to be the only remaining option, since I've tried everything else in the troubleshooting threads about the app.

Unassigned

Which version of DirectX are you using on the XP machine? I have no problems running SC4 Terrafomer (or anything else for that matter) using the March 2008 redist version (DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904), directx_mar2008_redist.exe).
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

wouanagaine

Any version of DirectX 9.0c after the one specified in SC4TF should work, as it include all previous versions of various DX dlls

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jgehrts

Vista machine uses DirectX 10... XP uses DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904).