• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Farm size limit

Started by Unassigned, July 24, 2008, 11:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unassigned

So I zoned approx. 12950 tiles as a single farm, provided a bit of infrastructure and started the simulation. The game became unresponsive, Alt-Tabbing or hitting the Windows key didn't work, the first two game days took 5 minutes realtime and then nothing further happened, there was AFAIK nothing to do but power off the comp.

Splitting the farming zone into two more or less equal-sized bits helped, it took about 30 secs for the two farms to grow. According to BSC Regional tracking the farms have 6127 and 6815 field tiles, repectively. It appears I hit some kind of limit which the game does not handle graciously. Now I'd like to know why the first, large farm would not grow (and also why the game behaved erraticly).

I read somewhere that someone grew a farm about half the size of a large tile. That is more than twice the size of my 12950 tile farm zone. So it ought to be possible - does anyone know if this was done without using mods which fiddle with demand?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

BarbyW

You need the demand to grow a farm that size as every field has one job and the farm itself has jobs. The simulation also has to do many calculations so that can make it unresponsive.
May I ask why you want a farm that size?
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Unassigned

Thank you Barby  :thumbsup:, I take it such large farms are possible given the demand and that the simulation is able to progress...investigating whether it is the size or the shape of that farm zone which makes SC4 unresponsive goes on my todo list.
And I made it that big to see if it would grow for me...I didn't expect the comp to freeze on me though.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination