• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slope City

Started by jeronij, November 29, 2006, 09:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithsed

&apls  Tried it and it works GREAT!

Thanks again.

thundercrack83

Wow, these "slope cities" are really coming together well. I don't think I'd have the patience to do this. Great job to all of you!

keithsed

Hi:

Here are some pictures of where I'm at with Slope City.  I'm a slow builder so I still have a lot of room to grow.  The demand for agriculture is way down so I think I'm going to bulldoze all the farms and put in industrial/commercial zones with a few residential areas.  I'm to the point where I'm getting high tech industries so I don't have to worry a lot about pollution.

The first two pictures are just an overall view from different angles. 

This next picture is one of the rural/farm areas.  I think this has go to go since demand is way down for agricultural zones and up for industrial/commercial.  This might make a nice industrial park.

Still, a closer look at the farms.

Here is the beach in front of the farms. I think it turned out quite good. 

Jeroni, do you know of any plopable aquatic plants mods that are around that I could download and put in my plugin folder?    I would really like to add some to this beach but I cannot find any on STEX, PEG or other sites. David mentioned one that he is using in ThreeRR but I cannot find it. 

I've used the hilltop to place all my civic buildings.  I've got a university, a large elementary and high school, a large hospital, a large fire and police station, the mayors house, the church and the cemetery.

A closer look at the civic buildings.

Here are a few close ups on the city.  Jeroni, I really think your side street mode did the trick.  It improved the looks 100%.  You old master you!  ;)

Here are some high rise residential buildings that showed up one day.  I think they looked alright so I kept them. 

I found some bus stops that I like and it looks like they are operating OK. 

. . . Come on Ma! Warm up the bulldozer again and lets get to work on the farms.

Thanks guys for all your help and comments.

Keith

rw0381c

Quote from: keithsed on January 21, 2007, 11:17:46 AM

Jeroni, do you know of any plopable aquatic plants mods that are around that I could download and put in my plugin folder?    I would really like to add some to this beach but I cannot find any on STEX, PEG or other sites. David mentioned one that he is using in ThreeRR but I cannot find it. 

I'm definitely not jeronij, but I think I can help answer that question! You can find it at Gizmos what you are looking for is his water flora mod!

keithsed

Thanks for the info. 

I'll go get them and give the a try.  I've looked all over for them but could never come up with anything.

You a pal. #stsfd·

Keith

rw0381c

Quote from: keithsed on January 21, 2007, 02:34:50 PM
Thanks for the info. 

I'll go get them and give the a try.  I've looked all over for them but could never come up with anything.

You a pal. #stsfd·

Keith

Please note keithsed, I meant to mention this earlier, but my work shift was done.

In your folders, make sure the Water Flora Mod loads before your terrain mod. I think you're using a cycledogg mod. Dedgren figured this out in 3RR during it's ST days, if it loads after, you can't plop them under water!

Regards,

R

Yoder7652

I really like your shore lines keith. I like your concept of a city planted on the side of a hill.

keithsed

Thanks rw0381c:

I tried them out last night and that must of been the problem.

I'll go and make sure they load first

Keith

jeronij

Hello to all,

I am quite busy lately and I dont have all the time I would for this city, but here I am and I have some advices, until I can post some pics from my own  ;)
keithsed, I am glad you liked the streets side mod  ;D . I feel specially proud of this, because it makes to look even the Maxis buildings nice  $%Grinno$% !!!
Now, lets go for some constructive criticism.... ;)

I am not sure about the number, but when your city reach a determinated number of residents, the farming demand disspears. I dont know if there is something you can do against this  &mmm . This is a really annoying limitation, and it makes you lay your farms first at all, and then you can not add more. You can use the Radical Ordinance Mod, which allows to cheat the demand, and you can also play with your taxes to encourage farming demand, but at a certain point, no more farms will grow.

Now about realism....two suggestions:

Search the right place for every civic building. I mean, it is not very realistic ( at least where I live  ;) ) to have all the civic buildings in a row  $%Grinno$% . Too standar. Besides, half of the cover radius is lost in the woods behind the buildings. That place is nice and OK for schools and maybe a church but not for a police or firemen station. It is not well situated to cover the fartest emergencies.I would suggest to search a more convenient place for some of these buildings.

Try to keep the wealth in mind when creating your neighborhoods. Try to not mix high wealth and low wealth buildings. It does not happen in real life, and if you can do it this way, you will have more customized and with more personality neighborhoods.

I think the overall view pictures are really pleasant. I like the woods you place on the top of the hill  :thumbsup:

I`ll try to work a little bit with this city and post some pictures by the end of the week  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

rw0381c

Quote from: keithsed on January 22, 2007, 02:46:32 PM
Thanks rw0381c:

I tried them out last night and that must of been the problem.

I'll go and make sure they load first

Keith

No problem Keith! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

keithsed

Hi Jeroni:

Just take your time.  It's no fun to have to hurry SC4.   :)

I agree with you about the civic buildings.  I mentioned a while back that is where I placed them but I didn't like them there and it was only temporary.  Ha..Ha..  It seems like temporary has now become permanent.  I'll work on them. 

You mentioned also mentioned about the placing the low density seperate from the high density housing to achieve better realism.  Maybe I didn't understand your prior post where you said:

"For 1x2 lots to show, check my pics where I show the residential layout before it grows. Notice that I placed 1 1X2 strip R-LD, 1 1x2 strip R-MD, and so on. This will avoid bigger than 1x2 lots to grow. Just a hint" 

Maybe I should have placed a 2X2 or a 3X2 low density, followed by a blank tile (I could use it for a park or a bus stop) and then another 2X2 or a 3X2 low density.  Would this achieve the same effect that you mentioned above?  This would keep the low density separate from the high density, wouldn't it?

As always, your comments and VERY much appreciated.  I'm still a newbie.

Thanks.

Keith

jeronij

Hello Keith, dont confuse density with wealth  ;)
In  my last post I was refering to low wealth and high welath mixed buildings.
The hint about the 1x2 strips works the way you mention also for bigger lot sizes. This is a good way to control the sizes of the buildigns you want to let show in a determinate place  ;D.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

keithsed

YUP, that was what I was doing.   #?¿?¿?$  Do I feel like a dummy. 

. . .  Read the manual Keithie, ya dummy, it helps.

Thanks again Jeroni.  You're the man!  :thumbsup:

I'm going to owe you a lot for all your help when we finally finish this project. 

Oh by the way, speaking of owing, I checked out the "make a donation" page on BSC LEX and it was in French.  I wanted to make a donation to this site for all the enjoyment it has given me but didn't feel comfortable doing it in a foreign language. 

I didn't want to end up donating my house, family, dog and car to the site.   :D

Only kidding.  But I would like to help you out with something.  Let me know if there is a way I could do it in english.

Thanks

Keith

keithsed

Hi:

Well, here are some pics after a couple of days work on Slope City.  Thanks Jeroni for the suggestions on my residential zones.  As usually your right and keep the comments coming. :thumbsup:

Here are a couple pics of the low wealth residential zones.  They still aren't perfect but I think I'm getting there.

and another one

I also worked on the middle wealth residential zones. 

. . . I see a rich old lady has moved in while I wasn't looking. Now I'm going to have to be the bad guy and evict her. :angrymore:

I've cleaned off the ridge.  I now call it Cemetery Ridge.  Usually in the USA, cemeteries are located in prime locations where the ghosts can rise up at night a look out over where they once were.  Boooooo

Now that I've cleaned it off, except for the church, mayor's mansion, and the cemeteries, I don't know what to put in this prime real estate, located on top of the world, any suggestions? #?¿?¿?$

Also last night I spent some time on "Da Beach," looking for long lost Simolieans with my metal detector.  I also heard that a glass bottle had washed up onshore after the last storm.  I was hoping it was the long lost treasure map we've all heard about, but no luck.  I think the kids got to it first. >:(

Anyway I did some fixing up.  The next two pics are overviews of where I spent some time.

And this one

Here is a close up of Rocky Cove

Same area only a different view

And moving further down the coast, here are the flats.  I think the beach could still use a little more fixing up, but I'll save that for another day.

And again at a different angle.

Now on to Traders Cove.  The only thing I saw down here last night were some wild teenagers having a party on the beach.  I wasn't invited so I left before it got too wild. You know my "old ticker" won't handle it any more. :satisfied:

And the end of the Cove

And finally the last one I call Suicide Cliffs.  A forlorn young lady threw herself off these cliffs after she heard that her lover had been killed in the war, or so the story goes. &ops

Well, like Bugsy used to say, "Dat's all folks." :D

Again any comments and helps would be appreciated. 

Love this game.

Keith

keithsed

I checked the BSC LEX again and noticed that the donation page is now in English.  Thanks.  I made use of it.

Sometimes a large wall appears on a necessary plop because of the slope. In order to hid the wall and improve the eye candy I'll leave a unzoned tile in front of a large wall for trees. But then you probably already know this, you little smarty you! ;D

Keith

jeronij

Keith, you made an excellent work with these shores  &apls
I like the way you place the underwater stuff. Yes, I like it, very credible  ;D

Oh, and yes, I knew about that trick  ;)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

rw0381c

I have to agree with jeronij! Great use of the underwater flora!

keithsed

Thank you for the nice comments.

Now back to Slope City.  It is really growing.  I've got to expand to the backside of the mountain or across the bay to the other side.

Keith

SgtJoeDes

Hello, I'm Joe a newbe. Wow, this is fun. I'm having such a blast reading all your posts and trying to soak up all the information that I'm not practicing playing the game.   :thumbsup: I want to congratulate you all for the great work you put in this. You are all very inspiring. Thanks. &apls &apls
SgtJoeDes

Owen Luby

This looks really cool! Nice job everyone!
I want SC4 back!!