• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bat4MAX Setup Tutorial by SimFox

Started by SimFox, October 26, 2007, 04:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

Quote from: SimFox on June 13, 2008, 01:21:58 PM
The fact that you have last 4 roll-ups means that you have Simtropolis Tools loading. they are a separate and pointless nowadays script. You can safely delete it altogether since it deals with nightwindows that will crash your export in max versions 8+.

Delete the Simtropolis Tools script in the scripts startup folder.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

SimFox

Bump!

Important update in the first message of this thread. Read it!

callagrafx

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:...can you post the the code modifications you made in the maxscript file, as I've already altered my version to exclude Deltree and don't fancy another code hunt.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

SimFox

I think you're talking about the wrong script. The one I've edited is a Start-up script. It loads all other scripts and has nothing to do with deltree. it is very small script just few lines of code.
As I see it you're mistaking it with CPBuildingmill.ms It has references to deltree. At any rate deltree will not worlk if you don't specifically place that exe file in the BAT directory. And, at any rate, even Windows XP doesn't have it, although it will still work there. In Vista on the other hand it wouldn't even run! (at least in 64 bit versions of it)

Anyway what I did is to point Max to look for BATFORMAX.ini in new and neutral place.

In original GMAX script it points to #PluCFG. Same was simply copied to Max version of BAT. I can't quite understand why, but it was. May be it was tried to point to gamepacks directory, but didn't work, because it isn't a referrence Maxscript understands. It operates with fixet nuber of standard directories. In case you want to refer to a new one  - like gamespack/BAT you have to specify it location vis-a-vis something Maxscript is surely aware of. The best option is #maxroot.

So what I did is changed:

global gINIFile         = (getDir #plugcfg) + "\\BATFORMAX.ini"

to

global gINIFile         = (getDir #maxroot) + "gamepacks\\BAT\\BATFORMAX.ini"

that's it...

And, ofcourse restore original 3dsmax.ini file, or if you don't have one anymore to edit it again to point PlugCFG entry to the proper PlugCFG folder (actual location of which depends on the version of MAx and OS you're running).

well, that and removed the silly warning that people HAVE to edit 3dsmax.ini (because, actually they don't, it is script that has to bee changed) to point PlugCFG to BAT.

This solves 2 "problem" need to find and edit 3dsmax.ini and potential problems with PlugCFG...

PS
that change wouldn't require any change in installation of BAT4Max.
I'm not entirelly sure about PlugCFG folder... I mean it is a working folder of MAX. It writes to it every time you start and exit Max session. Some important plugins like Color Mappers reside there, the host of ini files.
In the original tutorial I've urged people to copy content of the PlugCFG (and yes - copy it, not move!!!) to BAT folder in order to ensure that those items still work in Max with BAT installed. In this case (again - copying not moving) restoring 3dsmax.ini will work as is. If, on the other hand files had been MOVED -eg deleted in the original location - you have quite messy situation on your hands. You can try to sort out what belongs where by sorting files in Bat folder by modify date, but it could be tricky...

callagrafx

oops yep, it's the buildingmill and Ui scripts I changed.  I simply removed all references to it and removed the button so the autoexecute was error message free  :thumbsup: as I have XP and no deltree, it's completely redundant. I just like to remove stuff that's obselete  :thumbsup:

SimFox

I thought so...
generally how good are you with MaxScript?
I'm thinking of finally getting preview working the way it does in GMAX (at least a day one) and, in the process solving the issue with MR in Max2009/2009Design. Because without it BAT wouldn't be anymore compatible with new Max releases -which isn't good!

PS!!!
Lee
don't change you startup script!!!
There seem to be some problems it. Export is getting aborted by "user" ...
Have to look into it...

callagrafx

Not that good....I can trace back and see how it's done and remove stuff that I don't need, but I'm more of a visual person than a programmer  :D :D  Are there issues with Max2009 then?  I only have 2008 and hadn't planned on upgrading yet. 

I don't plan on changing my version as I've already got the 3dsmax.ini file altered and plugins in BAT folder.

SimFox

OK, I've got it to work.

The problem was that #PlugCFG was also mentioned in CPBuildingMill.ms - rooting to temp and Output file were made via reference to #PlugCFG - very odd way... In other script those paths were simply taken from BatForMax.ini file, why not here?

surdanis

i'm getting a syntax error when i start up 3ds Max 2009 with your startup script, SimFox.
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

SimFox

can you post exact message you're getting?

On the separate note, unfortunately as of today there is a problem between Max2009 family and BAT. To be precise the problem manifests itself when you use Mental Ray. the framing of th model doesn't work right so all the slabs cut in the places not coinciding with how they were cut in GMAX when LODs aree exported.

surdanis

it reads:

MAXScript Auto-load Script Error - (my directory)
-- Syntax error: at ), expected <factor>
-- In line: )

so should i downgrade in 3ds Max? which is a good one? i mean, what do the majority of BATters here use? think maybe 3ds Max 2008 will be ok. that's what i have on my other computer.

callagrafx

It works fine with Max 2008...although it's possible none of your 2009 models will probably open once you downgrade.  Why Autodesk cannot have a legacy .max format I do not know.

Diggis

same reason adobe don't have a legacy .il and .ind format.  They just like being difficult.

callagrafx

Quote from: Diggis on October 13, 2008, 01:53:53 PM
same reason adobe don't have a legacy .il and .ind format.  They just like being difficult.

Adobe do....in Illustrator you can save .ai files down as low as CS (3 versions) and eps down to v3 (from 13).  Indesign can also legacy save but only one version down via the Interchange format.

surdanis

u think how you install it has anything to do with it? any problems, perhaps, with the 64-bit version?

for example, i have 64-bit 3ds Max 2009. it's installed in the following: G:\3dsMax2009\

just some thoughts. guess it's back to 2008. wish me luck on getting Bat4Max to work.

UPDATE:

got it work, though i used the original scripts, rather than the SimFox ones provided in the top post. i also had to copy the files into the BAT folder as per the original instructions.

callagrafx

SimFox

Surdanis:
1. fact that you have 64 bit version is definitely not a problem. I use 64 bit versions of both 2008 and 2009 and everything works fine (that is in Max2009 you can properly export with MR (yet))
2. there is a way to export you models to the older versions of the MAX - BFF!! (Bobo File Format) It works most of the times, although not 100%, but anyway is something very worth to try. It based on terning your entire model into collection of scripts - very ingenious idea by the guru of MaxScript  - Bobo aka Borislav Petrov. Here is a link to download: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/bff-bobos-file-format
3. Installation directory, the fact hat it isn't on C may have something to do with the problem you have experienced. I would still very much recommend you to get to the bottom of it for two reasons - first, the new script uses much more appropriate structure and locations and as such don't interfere with proper MAX operations and functionality, Old one screws it up. there are ways to get around it but why get around something that doesn't need to be a problem in the first place. I'm more than sure it is doable as i my case and in case of quite few others it works fine. Second by identifying the problem we can provide a sort of "public service" and prevent repetition by others.

coming back to you error message. It is an exact one? it mentions "(my directory)"  what is this "my directory"?? There shouldn't be one...
I think the reason for your problem may be in the way you have structured your folders.

Anyway here is what you need / should do:
1. 3ds Max 6-2008 (preferably, almost imperatively fresh install into folder with NO empty spaces in path name, eg C:\Max)
2. Download this ZIP FILE attached to this message. It contains all the necessary files.
3. UnZip the contents of the archive into root folder of your max installation (again for example c:\max)
4. start Max.

With this version you don't need to edit ANY ini files! NONE!
On first run script will automatically determine your version of Max and depending on it will either enable or disable Night Windows (thanx, Chris, for an excellent idea). It will also automatically set your Output and Temp folders.
After that you'll be prompted to select your PLUGIN folder (this part of script is from Chrisadams3997). It Probably also could be automated, I'll look into it later on.

You are done!

This version of export script supports all and any type of lights. It contains default lighting rigs. I believe that this is a standard minimum that should be distributed. All the othre bells and whistles should be clear EXTRA and be used only by those fully understanding what are they and what are they for.

surdanis

ooh, the part where u say that i didn't have to play with any ini folders: that might be the problem since i modified the BATFORMaX.ini. but it works using the original method, like i said. anyways, i played with exporting a box i made. i managed to get a relotted Alamo with an un-textured "white" box in the game. i'm assuming that the lack of any texture caused the box to become blurry/pixelated when i went to closest zoom.

but anyway, i'm new to all this 3d modeling stuff in general, and i'm slowly learning how to use it properly. i feel like i'm in way over my head among giants, but i've been inspired by you and others to apply my already existing artistic talents in the world of BATting. because i lack any real skill or thorough knowledge of 3d modeling techniques, i'm going to stick with relatively simple stuff--fictional, for now. i appreciate all the help thus far.

SimFox

Well if you have only edited BatForMax.ini is not a problem at all since you would simply overwrite it with one included and all the settings will happen automatically when you start Max next time. Important point is that your 3dsMax.ini shouldn't be edited...

I personally see the development of BatForMax toward as little interference with the Max itself as possible, since such interference will inevitably limit the functionality of the program and hence clip you creative wings. For example the original installation cuts away quite a bit of it.

Anyway, it's your choice. I'm here to help f you would need it...

PS
those scripts include integrated Preview system (day only)

surdanis

ok, that one link you provided in your that one post was a much better fit than what you provided in your first post here in this thread, SimFox.

however, i got a msg that read nightlighting was disabled b/c it was incompatible with this version of max or some such thing. does that mean i can't do nightlights? i think i may need something else for that. no matter. i'm still new at this, and i may not need it yet.

UPDATE:

i just realized i'm missing a bunch of rollups when i tried the SimFox link... i figured out his link is missing the SimtropolisTools startup script, which i had to pull from the original BAT4Maxv2 folder.

also, do i need to have that deltree installed for this to work? i keep getting a popup saying i do. but then i read in the readme this might screw up my comp. i'm running 64-bit vista. anyone else with this same OS have deltree put in place like it says?