• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Genevra Redux (v2.0)

Started by Dark_Jedi06, February 22, 2009, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Again very nice and impressive L-E Work there Eric !  &apls
It's just awesome what you done there my friend.
That Lot with St Pierre basilica is simply outstanding, that market place, WOW !
Excellent work too with the triumph arch !

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Dark_Jedi06

We continue today getting even closer to revealing the full identity of that gorgeous domed structure that exists as the centerpiece of Montereau. While it will still only be partially shown, the building itself will be revealed as la Basilique de Saint Apôtre, or the Basilica of the Holy Apostle. To many, however, it is simply la Basilique. This wonderfully crafted piece of Genevran architecture lies at the geographic and spiritual heart of Montereau and the entire nation. The complex is religious in nature, acting as the nexus of the Sainte Église and the estate of the Archapostle, the surpeme religious leader of the Church. Constructed over more then a century, the building is considered to be the crown jewel of the Genevran state and was meant to be an imposing force of the Sainte Église. The inside is no less magnificent, and is decorated with countless works of art created by the masterful hands of some of the world's most famous artists. The following panoramic of Montrereau showcases the glorious dome that caps la Basilique.

I also invite you to peruse the March 2009 edition of le Monarque, the monthly news publication of the Grand Duchy of Genevra:

http://www.voxpopuli.frih.org/genevra/march2009/march2009.swf

[Use the buttons at the top to navigate or simply enter a page number to jump directly to it]

GMT: My use of the W2W buildings is only half the story, my placement is nothing without the
gorgeous nature of Porkie's BATS. ;D I always want to make sure the true artists get their recognition. :)

iamgoingtoeatyou: Ew I have hot dog goo all over my thread now... :P

sebbyb: Well I don't think my work is good enough to be some sort of gold
standard, I compare my work to that of Badsim's to see if it really measures up.

Shingure: Lot Editing is certainly the wave of the future, I would love to have you
on the bandwagon as well. ;D

CabraBuitre: Ah yes, the city certainly has a problem with gridlock. However, unlike a nasty place like
NYC, walking to your destination can actually be pleasant. :P

pipishere: SC4 is one of the few things I can be patient with, though I'm certainly not above
cutting corners, I'm just good at hiding it when I do... :-[

Battlecat: Well I sold my soul long ago, so he and are on good terms. ::)

bat: Thank you. :)

kimcar: I'm here to please, that is my mission. :satisfied:

Micheal: You might just have to wait a wee bit longer, I want to make sure everything is finished
to a point where it will surely do justice to the magnificent BAT I have chosen to use. :)

cameron1991: I like cluttered...open spaces are just a waste. :P

Youcefk69: Glad you think so. ()stsfd()

Sciurus: ;D ;D

art128: St. Peters? Never heard of it...I'm pretty sure this building is a one of a kind only found in Genevra. ::)
...this space to be filled soon...

Emperor Stormont

oohhhh such a tease  ;) Love the panorama Eric, gorgeous

The magazine looks fabulous, turned out really well and embeds very well also. Looking forward to our own special project  :satisfied:

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

kimcar

&aplsExcellent work again . The Panoramic and magazine are stunning :thumbsup:

CarmineHilton

Wonderful panorama and magazine, DJ! I'm in awe.......  ;)

I'm so glad we got the CETA up and running again! Hope Genevra and Vercelli will befenit good in economical ways.
And of course, 1.88 billion euros a year extra from Genevra isn't bad for Savoy, so of course we'll benefit too :p héhé xD
But as my minister said, the greatest benefit are the fabulous relations between our nations :)

Hope to see a new update soon, maybe of another area? suburbs? mountains? =p *who knows*?
xo Carmine

io_bg

The magazine is stunning! (as well as the panorama) Looking forward to the next update! :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

That panorama R.O.C.K.S.  &apls &apls
That's the most craziest thing I ever seen !  :thumbsup: That interactive newspaper is sooo wonderful my friend.
Excellent work on all those articles, excellently wrote.
As for the panorama, like I have said before, is incredible, I must can say the same things like on the other update, wonderful city style.

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Dark_Jedi06,

WOW.... :o.....
That panorama is awesome.  Fantastic colors and super setup on the city.  I had to look at it a few times and I just may go abck again later.
Great work so far, I look forward to lots more.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

dude im not even going to attempt to guess at how you did that embedded magazine...thats the mutts nuts, great to see you journalling again
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Dark_Jedi06

Well after a spot of trouble with la Basilique de Saint Apôtre (I've managed to reach the prop cap and so now I have to figure a way to divide the lot itself into two) we'll be moving towards the western periphery of Montereau, where the rather luxury suburbs collide with the old city. The transition is abrupt, with large buildings of the old city running right up to the cobblestone streets of the suburbs and casting shadows over the small, single-family dwellings. These houses are some of the nicest and most expensive in all of Genevra, however yards and outdoor spaces are nearly non-existent as the houses are packed tightly together. As a very small nation trying to produce a burgeoning population, no viable space in Genevra is left unused. At the same time, however, the nation struggles with maintaining the historic nature of its many cities as well as the existence of a comfortable suburbia. In addition, this chapter is ended with an overview of the entire area we've documented so far, showing the Place du Dieu Mars, la Basilique de Saint Apôtre and the Catedrala da Gronda Spada.

Micheal: And what special project would that be? I have no idea what you're talking about... ::)

Lets not ruin the surprise. :P

kimcar: Why thank you, I hope I've stunned you all sufficiently...hopefully I won't have to
set my blasters to stun in the future (can't help but make a Star Wars reference $%Grinno$%).

Carmine: Yes well we are always interested in expanding our relations with our good neighbors
in Savoy, the Savoyard people are alot better then those nasty French on the other border. ::)

io_bg: Well here it is, not as large as I was hoping but I hope I don't disappoint. :)

art128: I did put quite a bit of time into whipping that magazine together, so I certainly
hope everyone had a good read and has gotten some insight regarding the future of Genevra... ;)

rooker1: You may feast your eyes as long as you like (or so long as the bandwith lets you). ;D

mightygoose: Just a bit of work in Flash...I'm certainly glad to be back. :satisfied:

Emperor Stormont

The transition is rather curious...not 100% about that. But in general a lovely update, the final image is just beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

pipishere

A fabulous edition of Le Monarque and the mosaic is stunning! Keep up the super work hun! :)

mightygoose

i have to ask did you make those blocks a lot each, because I cant spot a matching pair, truly great work.

CabraBuitre

That third pic is a great overview!

I really like the close up of the diagonal building plaza section too!  It's a great break to the more traditional boxy W2W!

Check out Abelfarei!

Dark_Jedi06

Still continuing along the western periphery of Montereau we explore in greater detail the boundary where the old city meets the cramped suburbs. There are no stunning historical landmarks here, however there are a couple of quaint local sites that only the saviest and most knowledgeable tourist would recognize. The open subway station is the most notable, and is one of the few surviving relics of the original Montereau metro that was constructed decades ago. While all other stations throughout the city have been renovated and retrofitted to fit a more modern styling and function, the Métro de Trottier has been preserved in it original architecture. Such is the job of the Authority on Aesthetics, an arm of the Society for Historical Preservation of the government. Its job is to not only save and maintain the many historic buildings throughout Genevra, but also to influence current construction as to maintain the visual harmony of the nation.

Not many replies to write this time...sure makes the job easier though I always love to hear comments on my work. ;D

Micheal: I wasn't that sure about either, but I'm starting to come around to my decision...it would
seem that the transition looks best in the region view or in a large shot. :satisfied:

pipishere: Lol...hun. You make me laugh Pip. $%Grinno$%

mightygoose: Nope, I decided to forgo the arduous process of making each block individually (which I've certainly
done in the past) and decided simply to plop each building in game, then add the trees, props and whatnot to transit enabled
road lots the make up the city grid. ;D

So you certainly shouldn't find a matching pair!

CabraBuitre: Diagonals are always a good way to spice something up, but they're a pain to use! You have to create
several small lots that fit together like a puzzle to fill the space in front of them. :P

CarmineHilton

Magnificent updates, DJ! Truly fantastic.......
I wish I found the time and strength to develop such a nice city (mainly the city blocks..)

I know that it's just creating 3 or 4 types, and then change the buildings and props around a bit,
but I just don't find the power in me to start it, lol :p Guess I got a bit sick of SC4.. :(

Anyway, I'm glad to see you're still going ;)
Take care! x

mightygoose

your lotting your roads, genius idea, that way you can use the same lot in front of two different buildings and very few people will notice... how many do you have, 30-40 would be my guess to give you the corners and enough diversity....

BarbarossaS

I just found out about this MD and read trough it at once. Lovely and incredible detailed city you have there!
I'll be stopping by more often here  :thumbsup:

kimcar

Excellent work once again. &apls &apls Your city looking very alive and great lotting that you have done. keep it up :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

You never cease to amaze me, my friend! Excellent work, as always--your attention to detail is staggering!

Can't wait to see more!

Dustin