• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuewr665

Is there a plan to create overpass pieces of elevated RHWs over other networks so they can be used without a starter on at least one side of an overpass? This would be very helpful with creating realistic overpasses instead of extended elevated sections.

noahclem

Quote from: Kuewr665 on September 25, 2011, 08:04:54 PM
Is there a plan to create overpass pieces of elevated RHWs over other networks so they can be used without a starter on at least one side of an overpass? This would be very helpful with creating realistic overpasses instead of extended elevated sections.

It is already possible to make as short of an overpass as you desire , at least for passing over another RHW. The on-slope RHW pieces work as starters so you don't need to use the regular ERHW starter pieces.

To the best of my knowledge there are no plans for the pieces you are requesting since their functionality already exists with draggable networks.

Wiimeiser

I think he meant diagonal intersections, for passing over a diagonal network.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

the7train

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 25, 2011, 07:37:28 PM
It'd be the adjacencies. ERHW-6S and ERHW-6C have only just been introduced, they're not going to be anywhere near as stable as ERHW-4 in their first version.
Thanks foor the response, I was able to put some starter pieces down and click around and its now fixed. I just wasn't sure if erhw6 over wider rhw networks are possible. Looks like it is if you play/click around.

TEG24601

Quote from: jondor on September 24, 2011, 08:33:09 PM
Quote from: schradinator on September 24, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on September 24, 2011, 07:45:51 AM

There is no issue running the new NAM with SimCity4 - Deluxe.  However, if you are running Lion, you must install the Universal Binary patch, available from Asypr.com.

TEG

The 1.1 Rev A version was the Universal Binary patch.  I'm still running Snow Leopard, and not running SC4 under Rosetta.  I haven't been able to use the NAM since about the 2009 release....and since I have been short of time to play SC4, I haven't tried to find a solution. 

The game loads fine....only when I click on the transportation network menu it stops responding.  Cmd-Option-Esc throws me back to the desktop instead of brining up the Force Quit dialog box.  Since it does this even when the NAM is absolutely the only thing in my Plugins folder, it seems that there's something either in the NAM itself or in my installation of the game that just isn't working or communicating properly. 

Just hoping maybe someone has a suggestion out there.  I've spent a few hours trying to find a workaround myself since the latest NAM/RHW release, but I'd much rather spend my time playing the game than trying to fix the plugins.

If I recall, someone mentioned that it has something to do with the high El-Rail and high monorail plugins.  Removing those allowed the game to function again.  Exactly what the problem is with those files, no one is sure yet.
I have been using SC4 on my PPC Mac for the last 6-8 months, so I didn't notice the issue.  I tried to use the NAM/RHW/NWM package on my parents Intel iMac, and the game would freeze in mayor mode.  I spent some time playing with the plugins, and found that without the "NetworkAddonMod_Bridges_Plugin_Controller.dat" the game functioned just fine.  Perhaps there is some undesirable interaction with that dat file on the Intel Macs or interference that only occurs in the Intel Macs due to endianness.

TEG

Tarkus

Quote from: the7train on September 26, 2011, 08:16:16 AM
Quote from: jdenm8 on September 25, 2011, 07:37:28 PM
It'd be the adjacencies. ERHW-6S and ERHW-6C have only just been introduced, they're not going to be anywhere near as stable as ERHW-4 in their first version.
Thanks foor the response, I was able to put some starter pieces down and click around and its now fixed. I just wasn't sure if erhw6 over wider rhw networks are possible. Looks like it is if you play/click around.

It definitely is, as BL and I coded in support for it, though not all situations (particularly when a Wider RHW is next to another RHW) will be stable.  The click-around method can sometimes snap things back into place, however.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

RHW 5.1 should include overpass helper pieces for the new ERHW Networks, if only Orth-over-Diag for now. And filler pieces, especially for the DDRHW.
And when RHW 6.0 is developed Ramps and Transitions should be separated under different buttons to reduce clutter. That's just my opinion though.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 28, 2011, 03:33:16 PM
And when RHW 6.0 is developed Ramps and Transitions should be separated under different buttons to reduce clutter.

Just for the record, I was once able to determine three different types of transitions:
- Height Transitions (L0 to L2 Ramps, L0 to L3 Ramps, L2 to L3 Ramps, and all the OSPs)
- Width Transitions (Such as RHW-4 to 6S)
- Directional Transitions (In other words, curves)
- There's a fourth called a Network Transition, such as AVE-4 to RHW-4, but those are all draggable.

I would go further to organise the RHW Ramps into larger "supertypes": Type 1 (All the ramps from Type A1 to F1), Type 2 (All the ramps from Type A2 to F2), and Type 3 (All the ramps from Type A3 to F3, once they're made available).

And I would agree to an extent, but there's a by-network organisation that can also be considered, where every item is organised by what RHW width they belong to (and if that's the goal, then the RHW Nomenclature change was actually the first step to integrating such).

And if you thought the Ramps and Transitions were a mess, just wait 'til you see the Overpass Pieces...

PS: I'm still waiting on NWM filler pieces and diagonal 6C fillers, but given enough time, even those will get filled in. These things are a continual work-in-progress.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

QuotePS: I'm still waiting on NWM filler pieces and diagonal 6C fillers, but given enough time, even those will get filled in. These things are a continual work-in-progress.

I guess, a temporary public solution is the limited NWM neighbor connector pieces could be used as fillers, visually speaking, but other parts of the NWM will just have to wait for work to resume.

Gugu3

Are RHW3 45degree curves planned for RHW 5.1? ()what()They will be wonderful! :)And what about those RHW 6s bridges shown by Maarten in his youtube video?The work is still in progress??? :P

jdenm8

Quote from: Gugu3 on September 29, 2011, 04:47:27 AM
Are RHW3 45degree curves planned for RHW 5.1? ()what()They will be wonderful! :)And what about those RHW 6s bridges shown by Maarten in his youtube video?The work is still in progress??? :P

For RHW-3:
As far as I remember, that has Diagonal functionality already.

For the bridge:
That's an independent creation (By Choco I think) and neither its state of development or its release is controlled by the NAM Team. As at now, it's not released, it is designed for the old RHW-6S width and is two tiles wide, not one with an overhang.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

^^ Actually, it does have overhang. You can drag them with the RHW-network.

I think Gugu3 ment RHW-3 45 degree smooth curves, which I would also really like to have...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 29, 2011, 11:01:50 AM
I think Gugu3 ment RHW-3 45 degree smooth curves, which I would also really like to have...

As far as I know, the models are actually already in the RHW-3 dat file.  But I never got around to finishing them (pathing).

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 28, 2011, 03:33:16 PM
And when RHW 6.0 is developed Ramps and Transitions should be separated under different buttons to reduce clutter. That's just my opinion though.

If one potential experiment I'm planning to try works out (and I believe it will, as it uses existing technology), you may be able to access most of those ramps and transitions with just a handful of puzzle pieces.

-Alex

Gugu3

As Maarten said I was thinking of 45 degree smoth curves...I'll find them very interesting! :thumbsup:
So I can imagine you did some work on them Maarten?They look great and would be very useful as RHW 6s is one of the RHW networks I use most! ;D

Another thing...can someone explain me how to use RHW4 wide exits/entrances?because I thought they have to plopped over existing exits/entrances but I'm not able to do so :(

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 29, 2011, 11:01:50 AM
^^ Actually, it does have overhang. You can drag them with the RHW-network.

DamienM23

Question regarding the double decker rail-based network: Will there soon be on and off ramps from the left side? (assuming you're playing the right-hand version)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Gugu3 on September 29, 2011, 02:03:28 PM
Another thing...can someone explain me how to use RHW4 wide exits/entrances?because I thought they have to plopped over existing exits/entrances but I'm not able to do so :(

If you're referring to the Wide variants of the A1 Ramp, they're essentially a compact version of the C1 Ramps with a FAMIS Short Curve. The intent is to provide that setup, but in one single piece that has a much smaller footprint, which can be useful in dense environments. Plus, they've been around longer than FARHW, so why not continue the pattern to other A1 Ramps and even D1 Ramps?

However, you're not supposed to plop them over anything, except the network they're designed for (If it's a 6S A1 Wide, then you'd plop it over a stretch of 6S).

There are, however, special pieces that can be plopped over these ramps, for when you want to have a narrow-lane exit/entrance, but I don't think they were RUL'd properly.

Quote from: DamienM23 on October 01, 2011, 09:31:00 AM
Will there soon be on and off ramps from the left side? (assuming you're playing the right-hand version)

I don't see any reason why there can't be; I just discovered an L2 RHW-4 A1 Inside Ramp that I didn't notice before, so why not? (There's no DRI for the L2 R4 A1 Inside Ramp, though.) The big thing to note is when, and I have no idea about that.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Houstonkid

Tarkus

Yes, that's how it is supposed to work.  The RHW-4 is not allowed to have at-grade crossings with Avenues, and the Avenues will automatically get elevated at the crossing.  You'll either need to elevate your RHW-4, or elevate your Avenue (and lower your RHW-6C).

-Alex

jondor

Quote from: Tarkus on October 01, 2011, 05:39:06 PM
Yes, that's how it is supposed to work.  The RHW-4 is not allowed to have at-grade crossings with Avenues, and the Avenues will automatically get elevated at the crossing.  You'll either need to elevate your RHW-4, or elevate your Avenue (and lower your RHW-6C).

-Alex

Or, if you did want the intersection between the Avenue and the RHW-4, use some RHW-4 -> MIS transitions and have the MIS intersect the Avenue.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jdenm8

Or deconvert to OWR, as I think that's meant to be a pair of at-grade intersections.

RHW-4 + AVE has never worked and don't you think that it has, it has always deconverted to RHW-2 + AVE.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley