• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twyla

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 01, 2012, 02:31:23 PMWe have the next best thing: The 8C C2. Just hook up one of the FARHW-2 curves to it.
Problem is that the new SPUI needs RHW4 and the extra 3-4 tiles needed to convert from MIS to RHW4 can make the difference whether or not the interchange fits where it's needed - and (until there's a 4C or 10C) an 8C-A2 is the only way to accomplish this with a Compact RHW.

PS ~ I rarely look at the FA stuff.  Yes, the FARHW8C-C2 manages the pattern (thank you so much for pointing it out) but the 8C-A2 wouldn't require quite the footprint.

jdenm8

Actually, the MIS to RHW-4 (and vice-versa) transitions can be made to only use two tiles by forcing the starters to revert to standard RHW-2.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Why did I say FARHW-2? This is what I get for working on a bad/exhausted mood... &ops

And,...

Smallest possible SPUI connected to an MHW converted into a pseudo-RHW-4C.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

gn_leugim

Nice work Riiga, I have dled your tool both already, and using :)  &apls

EDIT:

first trys on texturering the bridge. What you think? shall I use these base textures and move on making the custom textures from them? :p

ntswm2

I have a weird problem.  In an experiment to see if I was doing it right, I set up a zoned space on one side of a city border and a fire station on the other, both with power, with Roads creating a loop between two adjacent RHW-4 sections.  I have the neighbor-connection segments set-up as suggested in the FAQ.

Anyway when I turned on the simulation (and updated in both cities), a "no-job" zot would show up above the house on-and-off throughout the month.  In addition on the house side of the city border, the path would disappear while on the fire station side of the border it would randomly change which lanes it was using.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?  And is this possibly why I have trouble getting any sims to use a highway connection when there are other options available?

Sorry if this is the wrong place or if there was a post I was missing answering this, there's 500 pages of this thread, so I couldn't rightly check.

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----

ntswm2

Okay This is a complete cycle: First there's no path from the house to the border.

Next the house simultaneously shows a "no job" zot and finds a path.

Finally, it loses the zot but not the path, only to lose the path again.  Rinse. Repeat.

Any ideas?

GDO29Anagram

Well, right off the bat, you're using RHW for an unintended purpose: To allow zoning. RHW wasn't made to have zoning along it; I know there are ways to trick the system, but those are just exploits; Not recommended because they may have unwanted side effects.

Not sure if that solves the problem right there...
<INACTIVE>
-----

ntswm2

Oh.  I was just trying to test it before building a full diamond interchange.  Ah well, I know it can e done by just extending the road, I'll see if that works, if not, I'll build the dang interchange, I'll need it later anyway.

ntswm2

Welp, two diamond interchanges later (one of which looks really stupid, as you see below), we still have the same problem.  It finds its path and then loses it again.

Tarkus

The simulator may need a little time to run to stabilize the pathfinding--a few in-game months almost always does the trick.

Also, make sure you're not running an incompatible traffic simulator plugin.  The ones directly included in the NAM have full RHW support, but external files like hailman's Variable Route Buses and the SPAM Traffic Plugin conflict with the NAM simulator and will break RHW systems.

-Alex

ntswm2

I'm not using any traffic simulators beyond NAM's (high, though, not normal, would that break it?).  I let it run for two years, no luck.

UPDATE: No, no wait, when I run both of them eventually it settles down.

Weirdly this has started happening for a non-RHW connection I put down as a test... guess it's the game's fault not RHW's.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys, guess I'm just impatient in my experimentation.

Wiimeiser

I think it DID work before (kind of) because of the street trick. This could merit investigation.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jondor

Here's another development pic for your drooling pleasure:

Click for full size.

I know it doesn't look a whole lot different, but the advantage is that you can reskin this entire curve with just two orthogonal textures!

The barriers will come later.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jondor on July 02, 2012, 07:49:38 PM
I know it doesn't look a whole lot different, but the advantage is that you can reskin this entire curve with just two orthogonal textures!

But what if I wanted to reskin it so that it had evenly-spaced lines? I'd have to do a model-swap... :P

Spoiler alert: It uses morph models to utilise just two textures for the entire thing. (And as you all know, morph models means less textures to make, and less textures to make means less stuff needed in the DATs.)
<INACTIVE>
-----

jondor

If you think you can make the dashes more evenly spaced and not foul up the RULs, you're welcome to try.  :P  :P  :D
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Haljackey

So let me get this straightened out.

The RHW-4C is essentially a 2-tile RHW-4 with a centre median, correct?

Will this be created by a starter piece that's two tiles wide? (One for each direction)

jondor

That 4C is actually a reskin of the Maxis Highway.  There is not going to be a separate dedicated RHW-4C.

Haljackey

Quote from: jondor on July 02, 2012, 09:19:52 PM
That 4C is actually a reskin of the Maxis Highway.  There is not going to be a separate dedicated RHW-4C.

Cool. Will that be a complete reskin of the network (like the BTM's effect on the monorail network) or will it be puzzle-piece override? (similar to how HSR and monorail can co-exist.)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on July 02, 2012, 09:15:28 PM
The RHW-4C is essentially a 2-tile RHW-4 with a centre median, correct?

What I had in that pic was a reskinned MHW, something similar that JD had in development. No starters needed, and you'd need half the time to draw the whole thing.

@Jon: For the 6C barriers, T21s or a part of the models?
<INACTIVE>
-----