• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Santa Barbara County - Update: The End.

Started by RickD, March 12, 2010, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

The southern area of the region is nowadays mostly covered with dense urban and suburban development. Most of this development started in the second half of the 20th century after Interstate 5 has been built through the region. Before this, the region was mostly rural.

Today only a few farming areas still exist.

This area west of Montecito will probably soon be eaten up by the ever growing suburbs.

Many farmers have already given up and sold their land.

This area is already up for redevelopment.

The Santa Barbara bypass rail line is running through the fields.

A freight train on the bypass line. Before it has been built all the trains had to go through downtown Santa Barbara.

Why is there a long stretch of undeveloped land, covered by trees? It is the reserved right of way for a future freeway project.

There are many hills in the area limiting development.

Houses and roads sneak around the hills.

The "CBD" of this suburb.

Replies:
Skimbo, Framly, Exla357, Reikhardt, kelis, Kergelen, Tomas Neto, Kevin1a, peter007, kwakelaar, io_bg, bat, GreekMan, packersfan: Thanks for the comments. :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

kbieniu7

Awesome work and effects.  &apls And nice "story" about urban sprawl  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Terring7

Just an idea. How about Pegasus Skyfarms? They'll provide all the food you need and still allows you to expand the city without worrying about the farms ;D

Keep it up :thumbsup:
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Framly

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

GreekMan

Awesome work boss! Looks great beautiful!!! 34.8 with the train crossing the bridge should be on the sc4 pic competition. Add a little photoshop and it would be perfect!
Recreation: San Diego County
Rebuilding America's Finest City!
Visit my MD today!

supremec

It's fantastic  &apls  &apls
I love your road network, it's not so orthogonal  :thumbsup:
Click on the banner to see my BATs

Rayden

Very nice update. I agree with many others, nice image the 34.8, it could be up the image competition. A little "touch" with photoshop and it could make it there. :thumbsup:

Exla357

Didn't really expect anything like this, but I am stunned. You do a nice job with NAM components, that curvy street looks awesome! I agree, 34.8 would fare well in the pic competition. One question, what tree controller do you use? Looking forward to more, keep it up :thumbsup:

-Alex

Reikhardt

Excellent update, I love the space you create with the way you lay your town out, looks really natural and realistic!

threestooges

It's been a while since I've posted, but it's been a pleasure to catch up. Montecito is shaping up nicely too. You're working very well in and around the hills. As for that thing causing your palm trees to change, I hadn't noticed that anyone suggested anything, but I believe it's one of c.p.'s Maxis palm-to-____ mods. As always, enjoying the updates here.
-Matt

Rayden

Quote from: threestooges on May 09, 2011, 07:49:45 PM
It's been a while since I've posted, but it's been a pleasure to catch up. Montecito is shaping up nicely too. You're working very well in and around the hills. As for that thing causing your palm trees to change, I hadn't noticed that anyone suggested anything, but I believe it's one of c.p.'s Maxis palm-to-____ mods. As always, enjoying the updates here.
-Matt

Maybe this mod is the culprit - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1901 &mmm

scott1964

Kergelen

Nice cureved streets and roads. Great job on the hills  &apls

Links to SC4 websites

noahclem

Great job with your rural areas and transport layout! I look forward to seeing the freeway you've saved space for there....

sumwonyuno

Great job!  I don't like suburban encroachment in real life, but you've certainly did well in replicating it in game.   :P

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

threestooges

Quote from: Rayden on May 10, 2011, 07:26:05 AM
Maybe this mod is the culprit - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1901 &mmm
That was exactly the one I was thinking of. Thanks for that. Can't believe I forgot who made it too...

kwakelaar

A really nice set of pictures, letting us see how the city is ever expanding into the surrounding country side.

nedalezz

This MD continues to get better and better with each update.

I truly enjoyed the look at the suburbs and their transition into dying rural communities.

It is such a realistic outlook on your typical American city. Keep the awesome work!

bat

Great work on the rural area!
And the city is also really nice! :thumbsup:
Picture 34.8 is looking beautiful, too!!!! :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto