• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: TomK on November 13, 2022, 06:12:10 PMPlop the Standard (Maxis) Rail Overpass over the rail. A TLA-3 to Road transition will connect the bridge to the TLA-3
There's also the option to use the new FLEX Overpasses.  You don't have to go searching for a Rail-specific undercrossing by default with those, since they're FLEX-based, rather than like old-style puzzle pieces.

-Alex

knutec

Hey, I had the itch to get back into SC4 after several years, but I'm having some trouble getting the latest NAM installed correctly. I'm getting crashes when loading city tiles even when using the Low RAM controller. I know it's the controller specifically, because when I remove it (alone) from my plugins folder I can load city tiles (and NAM Lite works), but I'm not really sure what to do about it. The executable patcher seems to work and I have 16gb of RAM, but all the controllers I try cause the same problem.

I'm running Windows 10 and my game is installed via Steam. And if it's relevant, I'm not actually crashing to desktop - the game is just hardlocking and needing to be killed via Task Manager.

jeffryfisher

Quote from: knutec on January 13, 2023, 02:33:39 PMwhen loading city tiles... the game is just hardlocking
How long did you wait before giving up and killing it? (SC4 can take several minutes to load its first city in any session)

And before killing it, did you look at your task bar to see if there was an SC4 icon there you could switch to? (There are some apparent deadlock conditions that are really loss of focus)

Do you have a slope mod that could conflict with the new one in NAM? (Having multiple "slope mod" exemplars may cause deadlocks)
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Tarkus

Quote from: knutec on January 13, 2023, 02:33:39 PMHey, I had the itch to get back into SC4 after several years, but I'm having some trouble getting the latest NAM installed correctly. I'm getting crashes when loading city tiles even when using the Low RAM controller. I know it's the controller specifically, because when I remove it (alone) from my plugins folder I can load city tiles (and NAM Lite works), but I'm not really sure what to do about it. The executable patcher seems to work and I have 16gb of RAM, but all the controllers I try cause the same problem.

I'm running Windows 10 and my game is installed via Steam. And if it's relevant, I'm not actually crashing to desktop - the game is just hardlocking and needing to be killed via Task Manager.
If it's actually an issue with having the full NAM Controller not having the 4GB Patch installed, then it would actually crash to desktop, rather than doing what you're describing.  That simply sounds like a long load time.  Having more plugins in your Plugins folder will cause the game to load slower, and big chunks of RUL code (which is what the Controller contains--even the "Low RAM" one in the full NAM, which is still about 65MB of just code) can especially do it.  If you're used to playing mostly vanilla, it'll be a noticeable difference on that first load of a city tile, and especially if it's a larger city.

Additionally, if you happened to have pieces of an old NAM installation around somewhere still, having multiple NAM Controllers that override one another can make it even more of a slog (and actually cause conflicts within your newer NAM install).  Make sure there's nothing from previous NAM installs left over when installing a new version.

-Alex

als98

Just wanted to report an issue I encountered after recently upgrading to NAM 46. It's entirely possible that I did something wrong while installing to cause this, but in case it is a broader problem I wanted to post it. After upgrading, most - but curiously, not all - of the paths on one way roads in existing cities disappeared. This affected both base network OWR-2 roads and OWR-1 and OWR-3 from the NWM. It's not a huge issue since to fix it I could just click on the affected areas with the OWR tool, but it was still a pain in the butt to do this for every road that had its paths deleted. Has anyone else had the same issue or did I screw something up? Thanks! -Alec

LucarioBoricua

That seems to be a case of changing between the traditional One-way road texture and the RealExpressway flat plane S3D texture. We had this issue come up around NAM 40-41. Were you updating from a pre-NAM 40 version to NAM 46, by any chance?

veikanttu

Just installed SC4 again fresh after a long time, and the latest NAM. Now there seems to be an issue with the FlexRamp B2 : in the description it says "Supports ... RHW-10S", but it refuses to convert correctly for RHW-10S when dragging through it. The "bottom" half with 3 lanes continuing is ok but the top part is not aligned with the rest of the highway.

LucarioBoricua

That one's supposed to work, make sure to align the ramp with the outer lanes of RHW-10S.

veikanttu

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on January 30, 2023, 12:28:57 AMThat one's supposed to work, make sure to align the ramp with the outer lanes of RHW-10S.
Ah thanks for the quick reply, user error. I placed the ramp on the inner lane location.

als98

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on January 29, 2023, 07:33:48 PMThat seems to be a case of changing between the traditional One-way road texture and the RealExpressway flat plane S3D texture. We had this issue come up around NAM 40-41. Were you updating from a pre-NAM 40 version to NAM 46, by any chance?
Nope I was upgrading from NAM 45.

Tarkus

Quote from: als98 on January 30, 2023, 04:06:08 PM
Quote from: LucarioBoricua on January 29, 2023, 07:33:48 PMThat seems to be a case of changing between the traditional One-way road texture and the RealExpressway flat plane S3D texture. We had this issue come up around NAM 40-41. Were you updating from a pre-NAM 40 version to NAM 46, by any chance?
Nope I was upgrading from NAM 45.
It's likely still somehow related to OWR arrow removal plugins.  Do you know by chance which options you used on that front with your NAM 45 installation?

-Alex

sc4guy2023

Hi there! I'm experiencing an issue and I want to check if I'm just doing it wrong; it's a bug; or if it's just not supported.

I'm trying to connect a diagonal RHW-4 L1 to a Flexramp Type A1. The flexramp says it supports RHW-4 L0-4, but when I try to connect it, the flexramp stays on the ground floor.

The flexramp works fine if it's on the base floor, but anything higher than that is producing this result for the diagonal option.

I am operating on the most recent NAM release. Any help is appreciated! Great mod.

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: sc4guy2023 on February 09, 2023, 03:17:32 PMHi there! I'm experiencing an issue and I want to check if I'm just doing it wrong; it's a bug; or if it's just not supported.

I'm trying to connect a diagonal RHW-4 L1 to a Flexramp Type A1. The flexramp says it supports RHW-4 L0-4, but when I try to connect it, the flexramp stays on the ground floor.

The flexramp works fine if it's on the base floor, but anything higher than that is producing this result for the diagonal option.

I am operating on the most recent NAM release. Any help is appreciated! Great mod.

It's not a bug. Simply the elevated version of diagonal ramps are not currently supported.

sc4guy2023

Back again for more help! :)

A city I've been building up has recently started crashing frequently. It's gotten to the point that I can't keep the game open for more than about a minute before it crashes.

I notice this started happening when I integrated a TRAM into my city. Before that, crashing was rare. The population is only about 30,000. So not high at all, I think.

To isolate and be sure it's NAM, I first deleted all other non-related mod/dependency packs from /plugins. The game still crashed. So I moved my simcity 4 folder out of /documents and then rebooted the game (to make a fresh file stack). I then was able to play the vanilla game just fine for several hours without a single crash.

I then copied my save file from the crashing version to the fresh version and it opens fine and does not seem to crash. Of course, NAM is not installed in my fresh version, so there's a lot of empty roads/etc. But overall, I was able to run the save file for several minutes without any issues.

Is it possible the TRAM is causing my issue, or is there something else maybe? A patch I'm missing? I did apply the 4gb patch when I originally installed NAM. And I was playing on the most recent version when this started happening. Do I need to reapply the 4gb patch when upgrading? I had been using the most recent version for about a week with almost no issues. Then, when I integrated a TRAM system, I noticed a sudden increase in crashing. Thanks for the help!

Here is an export of my save file for the city (I just exported the one city, not the whole region.) https://filebin.net/j4foktfio56rzpd2

Tarkus

If you're using the Full 4GB Controller (which includes RHW support), you'd need to have the 4GB Patch installed, though the sorts of crashes you'd get with running the full Controller without the 4GB Patch would be on attempting to load a city, not during gameplay in a city.

With regards to Ground Light Rail/Tram, there are some things specifically with it that could cause crashes if you have nothing else installed.  The base game has an issue wherein if you're using the older puzzle pieces (instead of the draggable and semi-draggable systems), and you build a station and happen to hover it near one of the puzzle pieces, it will crash the game.

The best advice I'd have would be (a) install simmaster07's SC4Fix.dll into the root of your Plugins folder.  This addresses the puzzle piece/station crash risk.  (b) Avoid using puzzle pieces.  GLR has an easy-to-use draggable version, and it's possible to use some of the various Tram-in/on-Networks (i.e. Tram-in-Avenue) by building using the "semi-draggable" construction method (click over Avenue with the Elevated Light Rail tool, and it'll convert).  The old version of the online NAM documentation covers this (it's yet to be transferred to the new version).

-Alex

sc4guy2023

Ok, good to know about the GLR/TRAM issue. For sure my tram uses a lot of puzzle pieces rather than draggable pieces. And I can confirm part of the crashing had to do when I was hovering certain tram pieces, like the station, over others. I'll try the fix you provided and work on replacing the system with the new version. Thanks for the quick help!

sc4guy2023

Happy to report the SC4Fix patch you linked above seems to have fixed my crashing issue.

Silver Cap

Hi all! Nice to see the NAM development in full swing still. Thank you to the NAM Team for your dedication!

I'm here to report a bug on the FLEX Transition piece for the RHW 6S-to-8S, particularly the lane add version. Dragging the RHW-6S to the transition have this effect:

the lane drop version works with no problem

I'll take this opportunity as well to ask whether the FLEX S-Curve works with the RHW-6S, since I can't get it to work (I'm guessing it was really just not supported yet, but I may be wrong).

Looking forward to more NAM developments!

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: Silver Cap on February 15, 2023, 05:59:55 AMHi all! Nice to see the NAM development in full swing still. Thank you to the NAM Team for your dedication!

I'm here to report a bug on the FLEX Transition piece for the RHW 6S-to-8S, particularly the lane add version. Dragging the RHW-6S to the transition have this effect:

the lane drop version works with no problem

I'll take this opportunity as well to ask whether the FLEX S-Curve works with the RHW-6S, since I can't get it to work (I'm guessing it was really just not supported yet, but I may be wrong).

Looking forward to more NAM developments!

The problem for the FLEX WT RHW 6S to 8S has already been solved in NAM 47.

For the Curve S FLEX RHW 6S has not yet been implemented