• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Critique this Picture....

Started by rooker1, November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

kodlovag your regions is really beautiful. I like the positions of the urban places, and there are plenty of trees. Only one suggestion. If i were you, i would prefer Simgoober's heliport because an airport so close to the farms may pollute them, and takes plenty of space. 7/10

samerton this intersection looks crazy and a small airport next to it is dangerous, but the whole plan looks interesting. 6.5/10

Here is mine, an ordinary scenery of my small towns. Any comments are welcomed :)

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

samerton

Terring7 : That urban picture is brilliant! I can't see any things that need improving..  I like the use of more realistic non-Maxis trees! I'd give that picture an 8/10!

Gilikov1994

Terring7, hi.. for myself I don't very like futuristic buildings on Sc4, and except that the district looks pretty nice :)

6/10

- Giel :thumbsup:
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

tankmank

Terring7: Look's great, not much to say about it but i think the skate park looks a bit out of place especially with it being bigger than the houses.

canyonjumper

Haven't been around here in a while ;D

Terring7: I agree with what's already been said, the skate park is out of place, but other than that, nice job! 8/10

Here's a new pic from me:

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

cubby420

Just saw this over in the Competition. Very nice. The boater who lost their oars is a funny touch and adds interest to the shot. Nice choice of homes and the shingles creek by diggis is one of my favorite waterway sets. The SAM texture fits as well. Not too much to criticize here, other than the empty space at the center of the pic where it feels like my focus is being drawn. More of a nit to pick than anything else though. I'll give you a solid 9/10.  :thumbsup:

My turn. Similar to something I entered as well, but altered with a new focus and some different post-production effects.

noahclem

Nice pictures guys!

Canyonjumper
- Very nice pic, and I agree the lost paddles are a nice touch--did I see a similar scene in your MD? Love the water texture and shoreline, forests, and general natural, rural feel. Sorry, don't have much to recommend. 9/10

Cubby420 - Love this village, but think I prefer the tourism board's other postcard (with 4 shots) ;)  Cool faded effect, gives it kind of a matte look. Love your abundance of trees, I can see why you don't want to give up your SFBT sidestreet mod! 9/10

And now mine: It's a night shot of a dense-ish residential area with waterfront park in the foreground.

No Photoshoping, just good old-fashioned SC4 fun! Recommendations on photoshoping (technically GIMPing for me) are welcome and encouraged, however as my ability in the area is limited.

PS, thanks to SimFox, Xylodoria, MattB325, and others for making the great bats featured here  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Terring7 - I find the picture very plain.  The ramp seems out of place with the houses on the right side of the diagonal road.  The houses I personally don't like......just my opinion.  They seem too small and unfinished.
I give this picture a 5 out 10.

Jordan (canyonjumper) - Very nice picture with some comedy.  I like the oars in the water, gave me a small chuckle. :D I like the river, some more variety along the shore line with different kinds of rocks and shurbery may make that area look a little better.  Also in the back ground the trees could use some more variety...try using some dead trees as well.  The houses all fit together, the dirt shoulder road look nice too.  You have finished off the picture with a title and a border. ;)
I give your picture a 8.5 out 10.

cubby420 - Very nice picture! &apls  I really like the angle you have choosen and the focal point is perfect.  The train station fit perfectly the way you have the houses laid out around it.  The houses are a perfect chioce as well for the area....I see none that don't belong.  I like the park in front of the station and the touch of industrial buildings there too.  Not all towns are meant to be pretty, but the way you have covered up most with the perfect amount of trees makes everything seem very realistic.  The title draws the viewer in and the border is the perfect finishing touch.
I give this picture a 9.5 out 10. &apls

noahclem - I really like the over all feel of the picture.  Everything fits together very well and realistically.  I like night pictures sometimes and this shows off some great night lights by the BATter.  The biggest down fall to this picture is the Drive it icon in the top left corner, the minimize button in the bottm left corner and there is no border.
Even with that, I give this picture a 7.5 out of 10.

Great pics everyone.....keep them coming.

Now one from myself.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

samerton

@rooker1 : I like the photoshopping effects very much.. the shadows look great, and so do the waves! The only problem I can think of is the minor fact that the clearing of trees at the bottom looks a bit strange... I'll give it a 9/10&apls

Girafe

Long time ago that nobody wrote a message here.

Which concerns Rooker's picture.

Nice photoshopping. It seems that we are on a plane even if I am not sure it's the case. I like the angle of the picture that is not the classical angle for SC4.
Gold color is nice too, seems to be at the dusk. As you know the giraffe love the flora "greener it os better it is"  :D trees are good and well located nevertheless warning to darkest trees which are special and don't fit so good with the others.
Terrain mod is beautiful, we could add more rocks.
At the end the water sea is well chosen too maybe could you make it a little bit shiny with photoshopping.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

netmod

Amazing Photoshopping, nice use of seipea colors, the strange clearing samerton posted was not a problem for me, I suggest adding rocks to the coast

9/10
mooooooooooooooooo...

cubby420

Alright boys and girls...let me know what you think.

netmod

Nice use of the Freeway Underbridge, but what is that black line between the rails? other than that the only other thing I see weird is the bridge where the textures vanish (Its not possible to add them with out doing alot of stuff) so I say 9/10
mooooooooooooooooo...

threestooges

-cubby420: I like it. It's a neat, dense, little area, and the sunken rail looks like it gives the effect of trying to keep the area as quiet as possible. As dense as it is though, the number of cars in the areas seems small, both on the road, and parked. I know parking is hard to come by in denser areas, but perhaps a street side mod would add that extra level of urban-ness to things here. There may be a parking lot or two just outside the frame here, or some underground spots I'm overlooking, but those were the things that came to mind. Nice work on your new MD by the way.
-Matt

Terring7

Great images everybody &apls
noahclem this night image is very beautiful, it's hard to realize that is from Simcity. 8,5/10
rooker1 do be honest, i am not a big fun of old looking images. But it looks mostly like an air photo, making it very interesting. 7/10
cubby420 interesting picture. The walls fits nicely and the bridge is lovely. 7,3/10

My picture is pretty interesting. American cars, European roads, Japanese sidewalks, Martian buildings... ;D ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

cubby420

Whoa!  :o  Where to start Terring7? First off, I have to ask...did you make that sidewalk mod or is their one floating around out there with power lines? Not being accustomed to simmars content (save for your work) its kind of hectic at first glance. You've made some pretty cool building choices, but if this makes any sense...the layout doesn't scream future as much as "holy hell its crowded!" A further zoom might help this problem, and would make some of the buildings look a bit less blurred. The scarecrow near the top is funny though...gave me a chuckle  :D 

Overall, I would say 6/10...original but a little jumbled.

Here is my submission. A little unfocused, but I like it all the same.

Lowkee33

I wont score the pictures, sorry.

@Rooker:  Nice picture.  I like the way that it is bent to make more depth, and the coloring is good too.  My favorite part is the shadow of the hill.

@Terring:  You certainly have your own style.  It's nice to see some fun in a picture.  I think if it were at dusk, or you had the shadows turned up it would look better.  Maybe your computer can't handle it for playing, but it's worth the wait for a nice picture.

@Cubby:  You pictures are terrific.  I don't see anything to be a jerk about on the first one.  I think you should lot the gazebo yourself as it looks a little out of place.  Maybe the flora brushes are a little too straight as well.  The photo-shopping you did makes a very nice color scheme to look at.

I have another one.  Things have come some distance from my first post :)

Sorry if you have seen this already.  I was scanning this thread and decided to contribute.

wallacet

@Lowkee33: I like it! Looks like at one time this island could have been used as a fort for some reason. Maybe to defend freedom for all of SimNation! $%Grinno$%

@Noahclem: Nice night shot. The lights look really realistic! Makes me want to go clubbing!

Heres a beach shot of mine. Let me know what you guys think!

io_bg

Wow, Wallacet, this is a fantastic first post... I've always wanted (and tried a couple of times) to build a coastal city with a beach and some high-rise hotels and R$$$ buildings around it but I think you've accomplished this task better than me. The only thing that could be improved (in my opinion) is the avenue which would look better if you replace it with a MAVE6 (found in the NWM mod). It looks more "urban".
I'd also like to ask you what is the name and where did you find that light-blue circular building at the top, I remember downloading it before but I lost it due to a HDD failure. Thanks in advance :)

And here's one of my pictures:

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

wallacet

Thanks io_bg. Ill look up this avenue asap! I found the building you were asking about. Its called the Manara Imperium, and can be found on the STEX. Here is the link for you. http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=23478

As for your picture, I really like your city blocks. They look very clean and organized. And the buildings are not too tall to impede the view of your docks. Nicely done. And are those PEG christmas trees I see? Very fitting for this time of year. I unfortunately cannot get the lights in my city to work, and I love night shots so much  &mmm. Keep up the good work!