• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Can I create plugin that using DLL file?

Started by indovote, October 09, 2015, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indovote

Hello everyone,
can I create plugin that using DLL file like Extra Cheat? Because I thing using DLL file can control game largely (like creating cheats).

Tarkus

The modding community has only had very limited success with creating DLL-based plugins, and the only third-party ones are out there can only run before the game actually starts, and are limited to minor file manipulation.  The full Software Development Kit (SDK) to get them to stay loaded while the game is running (like the Extra Cheats DLL) was never released, and no one even knows where the hook is to make that possible.

-Alex

indovote

Quote from: Tarkus on October 09, 2015, 11:50:17 PM
The modding community has only had very limited success with creating DLL-based plugins, and the only third-party ones are out there can only run before the game actually starts, and are limited to minor file manipulation.  The full Software Development Kit (SDK) to get them to stay loaded while the game is running (like the Extra Cheats DLL) was never released, and no one even knows where the hook is to make that possible.

-Alex
Does the SDK was released when someone asks permission to Maxis for giving SDK (like the Extra Cheats)?

Tarkus

There was a thread about the SDK quite a number of years ago.  The history is here.  It's very unlikely anything will change going forward, so I wouldn't expect any new DLL-based plugins to come down the line.

-Alex

indovote

Can LUA files on DAT files can run advanced function like DLL files (such as creating cheats)?