• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Request - Bus Rapid Transit

Started by The_Rock, July 08, 2010, 09:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Rock

Hi, I would like to proposed this in the next NAM update. The NAM already have the great tram-in-road, tram-in-avenue, etc. But, not every city have enough money to built a decent tram network. So Bogota build BRT instead of tram as their main inner-city transportation network.
Here some photos for reference.

The outer lane is the express one

Tarkus

BRT's been requested a few times, but the problem is that the game's transit network paths have no real way of telling the difference between cars and buses.  Your best bet at this point is to use a car-blocker lot on the roadways you wish to have as busways.

-Alex

Luke09

I would love it.BRT is the only mass transport system that Brazil has a Worldwide reference:Curitiba.Unfortunately,as Tarkus said,the game cant do it.
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

The_Rock

Can this be solved by changing the look of tram, the capacity, and the tram lane? So the tram will look like bus, and the tram lane is replaced by road. It's still a tram but looks like bus. I think it's has the same way of changing the look of elevated rail lane into tram lane, am I right?

RebaLynnTS

I was thinking one might be able to do a bus only highway, using starter pieces, then you can add one way highway (or any other one way road type), also using starter pieces, to lay along side it.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

The_Rock

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on July 08, 2010, 09:51:41 AM
I was thinking one might be able to do a bus only highway, using starter pieces, then you can add one way highway (or any other one way road type), also using starter pieces, to lay along side it.
The problem is, I haven't found bus station for the middle lane that extend to outer lane just like the BRT station

daeley

Quote from: The_Rock on July 08, 2010, 09:59:31 AM
The problem is, I haven't found bus station for the middle lane that extend to outer lane just like the BRT station

well in that case I think there's still a few options...
- Use a lot that combines subway/bus stop in one lot, and draw subway under the outer lanes (as if the pedestrians take tunnels)
- Use the NAM pedmall puzzle pieces to draw a pedestrian bridge over the outer lanes

If those are not to your liking, you could always try lotting something yourself. If you have some troubles with the modding, there's a ton of information on the forums and plenty of people prepared to lend a helping hand...
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

pimmapman

Wouldn't it be possible to integrate this into some of the NWM triple tile networks? Maybe with the aid of a new starter piece, some puzzle pieces to stop cars going through, an some stations? It doesn't seem too complicated.

jdenm8

Quote from: pimmapman on August 13, 2011, 06:00:56 PMMaybe with the aid of a new starter piece, some puzzle pieces to stop cars going through
The problem is that people don't get the problems. Only Transit Enabled LOTs (Outside the scope of the NAM) are able to filter traffic as they're the only thing (aside from the simulator) that separates the three types of traffic that uses the 'car' path (Bus, Freight Truck, Car).
It is not possible to create a network that has those filtering options along it, neither is it possible to apply those to a Puzzle Piece.

I have a fully functioning busway system in one of my cities using Maxis Roads, built using Bus Only LOTs, but it's a completely separate road system with few access roads to surface streets (it has two, both at the closest it gets to the city centre), much like most RL counterparts.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

joelyboy911

There are many bus-only lots available to keep your bus roads clear of other traffic:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/24184-rhw-hov-lots/
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/1834-hov-bus-lanes/
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26285-traffic-restriction-lots-for-nwm/

Simply use these in conjunction with the networks that already exist. It won't be possible to add bus lanes to highways, but "Busways" or BRT can be achieved thusly. Just add bus stops.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Diod

Hello everybody,
In the website www.simcitybrasil.net  has a  Bus Rapid Transitproject but that is currently inactive. I would suggest one that the nam team work with the brazilian team in this project

strucka

What is actually needed here is either: a) road texture with starter piece, bus stations, the H.O.V. only piece (found at simtropolis) and imagination and Voila, you ve got BRT. Or: b) SAM texture, street HOV piece and street station pieces.

pimmapman

I think the best way to do it would be to use a new starter piece to change the texture of the road to have a barrier, and something similar for the avenue, in conjunction with some stations with centre platforms. I wish I could do this myself, but I don't have the patience....  /wrrd%&

DAB_City

Quote from: Luke09 on July 08, 2010, 09:45:01 AM
I would love it.BRT is the only mass transport system that Brazil has a Worldwide reference:Curitiba.Unfortunately,as Tarkus said,the game cant do it.

Add Cambridgeshire, England to that: we boast the world's longest (and most pointlessly overpriced/delayed!) Guided Busway  ()stsfd()

Perhaps rebuilding traffic blockers as puzzle pieces might be an idea?  :D
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Tarkus

Quote from: DAB_City on November 24, 2011, 12:36:54 PM
Perhaps rebuilding traffic blockers as puzzle pieces might be an idea?  :D

That's not possible, unfortunately.  The transit switch property that allows blockers to exist only works on Lots.

-Alex

DAB_City

Shame... you don't do TE lots in the NAM, do you? Could you make an exception? PLEASE???  ()what()  &cry2
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Wiimeiser

The closest they'd probably get is a 7.5M hole digging lot.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: DAB_City on November 24, 2011, 01:40:15 PM
Shame... you don't do TE lots in the NAM, do you? Could you make an exception? PLEASE???  ()what()  &cry2

No, we do not do TE Lots in the NAM.  That's been a policy since the very beginning of the NAM, and there are currently no plans to re-evaluate it.  The last discussion on the topic can be found hereTropod's post near the end of that thread explains why that policy was put in place.

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 24, 2011, 02:47:59 PM
The closest they'd probably get is a 7.5M hole digging lot.

From the discussions we've had, there are no plans for a 7.5m hole-digger, or any other .5 digger for that matter.  The .5 does not produce a noticeable impact with hole-diggers/raisers and on-slopes.  All Elevated Rail-type networks (including the NAM Heavy Rail Viaducts) are actually at 15.5m, and the Maxis Highways are at 15.7198m.  Folks have not complained about any discrepancy with the using the 15m hole-digger lots with them.  SA's set includes an 8m hole-digger and raiser, which should produce satisfactory results with any L1 content when it is released. 

-Alex

Swordmaster

Quote from: Tarkus on November 24, 2011, 05:28:22 PMAll Elevated Rail-type networks (including the NAM Heavy Rail Viaducts) are actually at 15.5m, and the Maxis Highways are at 15.7198m.  Folks have not complained about any discrepancy with the using the 15m hole-digger lots with them.  SA's set includes an 8m hole-digger and raiser, which should produce satisfactory results with any L1 content when it is released. 

-Alex

Aha, this is interesting. Well, I never complained about it, but I did notice a "bump" on rail overpasses. Time to mod some hole raisers  :P

noahclem

Indeed, the .5 meter difference is pretty negligible for the most part. I sometimes smooth it out for my heavy rail networks but since they're usually on some kind of slope anyway i often just use the 15m digger/raiser on the low side and the 8m digger/raiser twice on the higher side. My slope mod setting for rails are at about .5m per tile so it actually works quite well.

Out of curiosity: what is the hypothetical height of L1 rail? 7.5m or 8m?