• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bat4Max -4- 3DS Max 2017

Started by reddonquixote, December 09, 2017, 04:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddonquixote

I discovered, by trial* only, how to make BAT 4 Max work with 3DS Max 2017, and sharing here for anyone else needing to do the same.

*Small Print first - I literally have no idea what I'm doing, this was something I got to work by fluke. Yes, I got it to work for me, but I don't claim to know anything about Max scripting. If anyone does, and would like to contribute to this thread, it is warmly welcomed   :thumbsup:

The issue in getting BAT 4 Max to work with 3DS Max 2017 is two-fold.
1. 3DS Max 2017 no longer supports a thing called "Radius Interpolation" during Final Gather. While I have looked up Radius Interpolation I can't fathom what it does/ did. Either, its function has been integrated elsewhere, or it has been removed altogether, either way, BATing does not seem to be affected.
2. As with previous versions of  3DS Max since 2014, the gamma settings require patching.

Here's how I got it to work:
Step 1: Install BAT 4 Max following the link and installation instructions provided in the original download. https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/40623-bat4max-v5/
Step 2: This part is a bit clumsy, but as good as any other method I would say - Under the BAT 4 Max roll out, press the 'Sky' button and the Set Rig for 'Day' button. The script will debug.

This will cause the script to bug within SF_LtbL_functions.ms script, under Final Gather SFFG1, on the line of script "myren_finalgather_use_radiusinterpolation = true" :

Step 3: This line of script needs to be deleted. (Refer picture below)
Note: As far as I can tell, the line needs to be deleted. Setting to 'False' does not work, as I assume there is nothing to set to False. It has to be completed removed from the script. No doubt there is probably a way to leave the line there but not make it visible in the code, but I'm not clever enough to know how to do that. Deleting works!

Step 4: Scroll past SFFG2 to the next section, SFFG3, and again delete the last line of script referring to radius interpolation. SFFG3 is the BAT 4 Max night script.
Step 5: Press save, and close 3DS Max down. It should work once reopened.

Step 6: For the gamma issue, download and install Droric's Gamma fix: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28998-bat4maxv5-3ds-max-2014-gamma-fix/
The gamma issue, in case you're not aware, is that without patching, the night renders come out a ghostly white.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Let me know if any of that isn't clear enough, happy to help if I can  ()stsfd()
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

mattb325

Thankyou so, so, so much for posting this.

I won't need it for a while, but it's great to know that there is a work-around for what could have been a complete road-block to future custom content. You have my total gratitude  :satisfied:

Can an admin please sticky this thread?

Andreas

Andreas

mgb204

If all that's required is a few script changes, we could edit the affected files and attach fixed versions for others to replace the originals. I think that would probably be better for those less technically inclined to work-around the issue.

This problem has been a ticking time-bomb for a while and it would really be fantastic if such a simple change will resolve it once and for all.

Is there anyone using the 2016 version that could confirm if this same fix works for 2016 too?

:EDIT:

So I figured I'd be proactive and attach a fixed script based on RDQ's instructions. Note as a 2011 user I'm not able to test this myself, all credit to RDQ for the find obviously. Included in the attached .zip is a modified version of SF_LtbL_functions.ms.

Replace the original file which should be in 3DS MAX INSTALL DIR\gamepacks\BAT\scripts, with the one in the zip file.
!IMPORTANT! - Backup the original file by copying/moving it elsewhere beforehand, just in case.

Then you should just be able to start 3DS Max and it should work.

Girafe

I just tried it for day views
At first glance, no issue it works on 3dsmax2017  :thumbsup:
Thanks to RDQ for this script update and MGB for consolidating it into a file  ;)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mattb325

Thanks Robin! &apls  :bnn:  :bnn:

^^Does that mean you will BAT again?

reddonquixote

Thanks very much mgb for going the extra step, this will make it even easier for anyone needing to make these modifications  &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.