• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to build a windy road.

Started by jeronij, November 08, 2006, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Hello to all,

I was remembering old times reading Sculpting Columbia River, and I found some pics that may be considered some sort of tutorial, so I decided to post it here, hoping that it will be useful for somebody.

The "instructions" are quite short, so, feel free to ask if you are in doubt  ;) !!!

This is my first serious attempt to make a mountain road in SC4.  I will post it in 10 pics and few words. I only have to say that I think the result is not too bad. I´ll have to improve my skills on building this kind of roads, but I also think that this one deserves an update.

Here we go:

22.1 First layout.

22.2 Minor adjustments. Some more curved curves

22.3 Some retaining walls, of course.

22.4 A better (IMMO) perspective.

22.5 The area is ready to develop.

22.6 Low density residential developments starts...

22.7 Zoom 1

22.8 Zoom 2

22.9 Zoom 3

22.10 And finally a view from CR Port Area

I apologize for the old pics, but the idea is the same right now ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

wouanagaine

thx jeronij.

Actually I think the whole SCR pics would make the best tutorial ever !

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jacqulina

goin2chicago

very cool totorial. i've never really thought about doing anything like this and i think it'll be fun to try it out when the time comes.

bat

TheTeaCat

Great stuff you've done.

Personally i would leave out the walls and leave bare rock especially if going for a mountain road- well that what they did where i grew up. Still it looks great once the houses appeared.
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

kimcar

&apls  Cool tutorial . Thanks for sharing . :thumbsup:

Alfred.Jones

Awesome work Jeronij!! Even though they are old images they still look fantastic :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

rayced

This tutorial is just great, as usually are yours Jeronij.
I have a little request: can you make a tutorial about building on slopes correctly? I mean how to build on slopes maintainig a smooth profile of the buildings (without the basement coming out from terrain).

Alfred.Jones

Welcome to SC4 Devotion Rayced :thumbsup:

Is this what you are looking for?

Sim City 4 Devotion

rayced

Quote from: Alfred.Jones on November 23, 2006, 01:02:41 AM
Welcome to SC4 Devotion Rayced :thumbsup:

Is this what you are looking for?

Thank you for the welcome. The tutorial you are suggesting me is not what i mean with my question: that one (and is a good tutorial) is for terraforming a slope, but even doing a slope like that i have some problems when zoning it, as i wrote in last post, to have the buildings resulting gently sloped as the terrain. I saw many pics of cities made by Jeronij and i can't obtain the same results.

jeronij

Quote from: rayced on November 27, 2006, 05:57:33 PM
Thank you for the welcome. The tutorial you are suggesting me is not what i mean with my question: that one (and is a good tutorial) is for terraforming a slope, but even doing a slope like that i have some problems when zoning it, as i wrote in last post, to have the buildings resulting gently sloped as the terrain. I saw many pics of cities made by Jeronij and i can't obtain the same results.

Hi, I note the task in my tasks list  ;) . I´ll try to make a tutorial and post is here somewhere. Anyway, I can say you that you should dominate the other referenced tutorial as this terraforming will also be needed  ;D

I´ll keep you informed !!!
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

rayced

Gracias Jeronij!!
I'll upload some pics to explain well what i mean.

vab423

This is a nice tutorial - short and sweet.  And like they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words.
Thanks for reposting; although I enjoyed SCR very much, I gave up reading it because it was so long (I have a very short attention span) and the pages took forever to load.

@rayced, someone (I think Spa) posted a great tutorial on ST on building on slopes -- check the Omnibus section over there; it's called "working with hills" (I think).

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

rooker1

Great idea for a mountainous region.  Thank for the tutorial and great pictures. :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.