• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Prototype III.I - "Complete" Region View with Optimizations

Started by croxis, February 07, 2010, 07:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

Please see this topic for prototype IV: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10247.0

Victor01

Quote from: croxis on February 07, 2010, 07:08:01 PM
* If you can not connect at all - that means the server dropped the wireless connection (it is going through two brick walls)
* If you click login and the terrain does not show, that means the server crashed.
In both cases try again later.

So it crashed  :D ...

coronadian

Yup, however it worked before.

But can I just say that I only get about 7-20 fps. Given there are no details there as of yet, this doesn't look to good for the future for my PC :-( Do you think it'll get faster over time?

PC: Athlon64 X2 4200+, 2 GB Ram, Radeon HD2600 XT, Win7

croxis

Back up.

There are a number of near and long term optimizations I am planning on implementing. Most of the slowdown you are seeing is result of a collision ray running every frame. On my machine it consumes 15-35 ms of frametime, very much hurting performance. It will be set up to fire only upon mouse clicks.

croxis

Fix is in code. I got a 10-30 fps boost depending what I was looking at. I am going to do one more optimization with the water mesh and then do a version 3.1 as the gains are significant enough.

Victor01

;) Ok, now it works.
I've noticed that when you want to found a city and then press ESC to abort, I can't return back (white texture remains).

croxis

Fixed gui code for that.

I also noticed a label for a city is being obscured by the terrain. It is time to fix that as well!

riiga

coronadian

Between 15-25 fps now, so it's an improvement. Also City Labels now show, whereas before they didnt :-)

When I clicked on incorporate new city, the fps jumped to several hundred :-)

But then it turned into this :-(

croxis

I'm going to write a new mouse+keyboard controller to process things like shift click, open up the possibility for user defined keybinds, things like that.

Right now camera rotation is based on the center point of the terrain (or the last center point acquired if there is no tile in the middle of the screen). This allows rotation around whatever you are looking it, which to me is the desired behavior. At the same time sometimes you just want to rotate the camera in place. There will probably be two camera modes so both behaviors are possible.

Coronadian, looks like you hit the t key, which is currently bound to toggle textures. This happens at any point, including if you are entering text into a field. I am probably going to link this to a toggle button to active or deactivate the debug key binds.

One of the ultimate UI goals is to create a universal chat/terminal/news box. This is displays news ticker items, allows you to chat in mp, and give commands to do these magical effects. My hope is to create a command processor robust enough that for anything you can do with the user interface, you can do with the chat box.

CitiesXl did not integrate their chat box well into the UI, my hope is that this will.