• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Table of contents

[tabular type=4]
[row]
[head]
_#_
[/head]
[head]
_Date_
[/head]
[head]
__________________Contents__________________
[/head]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Oct 8, 2012[/data]
[data]Barton, 1780s[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Oct 14, 2012[/data]
[data]Barton, 1780s[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Oct 21, 2012[/data]
[data]Scarborough, 1780s[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Oct 26, 2012[/data]
[data]Scarborough, 1780s[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 2, 2012[/data]
[data]Concord & vicinity, 1780s[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 5, 2012[/data]
[data]History of New Brabant[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 11, 2012[/data]
[data]St Claire, 1791[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 14, 2012[/data]
[data]A closer look at the region...[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 16, 2012[/data]
[data]A closer look at the region... continued[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 24, 2012[/data]
[data]1790 census[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 2, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #1[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 4, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #2[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 6, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #3[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 8, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #4[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 10, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #5[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 12, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #6[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 14, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #7[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 21, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #8[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 23, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #9[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 29, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #10[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 30, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #11[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 31, 2012[/data]
[data]OSITM 12/12 #12[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Jan 15, 2013[/data]
[data]Subtle Bends[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Jan 23, 2013[/data]
[data]Dewitt Mansion[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Jan 30, 2013[/data]
[data]A closer look at all that[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Feb 24, 2013[/data]
[data]Barton revisited[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Mar 09, 2013[/data]
[data]The End. . .[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Jun 2, 2013[/data]
[data]Wait a minute![/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Nov 30, 2013[/data]
[data]A short message from your favorite retailer[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data][/data]
[data]Dec 8, 2013[/data]
[data]Some explaining. . .[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]31[/data]
[data]Jan 16, 2016[/data]
[data]So what?[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]32[/data]
[data]Jan 19, 2016[/data]
[data]What, an update? Again??[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]33[/data]
[data]Jan 25, 2016[/data]
[data]Some long overdue replies. . .[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]34[/data]
[data]Jan 30, 2016[/data]
[data]. . . and then "some" more replies[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]35[/data]
[data]Feb 2, 2016[/data]
[data]Ol' Rusty[/data]
[/row]

[row]
[data]36[/data]
[data]Feb 10, 2016[/data]
[data]St Mary Island (Part 1 of 718)[/data]
[/row]

[/tabular]

Without further ado, let's get this thing started...

By way of introduction, here's what the textbook says:

QuotePort St Claire is an urban region located on the Atlantic coast of the (fictional) US state of New Brabant. It is the state's largest metropolis in surface area and population, as well as its economic and cultural center. The region is coterminous with King James County, and has a long history of administrative consolidation and reorganization.

That's all you need to know right now - the textbook has a tendency to ramble on about details. First, we'll go back to a time when Port St Claire (hence "PSC" for brevity) didn't even exist.

A personal note, maybe. What's been holding up this MD all the time is my indecision on the topic of history. I'd love to recreate the area historically, and build it up the way it happened. That's impossible, sadly, as that would entail an even more enormous work than what I currently plan: the same, save the historical settings. Therefore, no historical BATs, horse-drawn carts, or candle lights, instead we'll plunge right in as if the 1780s looked a lot like today. I'll try to stick to serving the eggs before the chicken, but don't expect it to look the part. Anyway.

0.1. Barton, 1780s (part 1)

Click for streetmap:

Textbook:

QuoteEuropeans first surveyed the shores of King James Lake in the 1660s, but were scarcely impressed by the lowlands that hugged the Atlantic Ocean. The area was susceptible to regular flooding, and disease was rampant during summers. Only the settlement of Barton (1784) prospered, situated on the banks of the river Thunder, further inland than the other ventures. The first settlers were farmers from Barton-Upon-Humber, Lincolnshire, after which they imaginatively called their new home Barton-Upon-Thunder (although the epithet fell into disuse as people from other areas of England and Wales arrived). Until well into the 1840s, their main economic interests remained agricultural, with a variety of crops that grew well on the fertile soil.

Facing west:

As shown here, Barton had a population of around 2,700, and was very much the only center in the region that offered some services. Here town hall and the post office:

Main street facing south, with some businesses. Bottom left is an early clinic:

The eastern part of town, with one of the city's two water towers:

Facing east, on Independence Ave. The building on the left was the first educational institution of the region; the building on the right was an early industry.

St Germaine's Church, on the south end of Main Street. Named after a French saint. Only recently completed, with much of the square still under construction:

Facade, facing south:

Facing east. Bottom left is the New Market. No idea where the old one went:

Buoyed by stories of succes, immigrants have kept arriving. One farmer cashed in and sold off some of his land for housing. This part is off-map:

This is the oldest house in Barton, on Maple St. Old man still grows his own lettuce. Facing east:

To close off, some seasonal pics. In winter, you can actually see the streets from the air:

Next time, we'll take a look at the outskirts of town. After that, we might visit a couple of other upstart settlements before we return to Barton to see what the 19th century brings.

Whew. One doesn't realize all the hard work everyone needs to put in to get these kind of things going - until you have to do it yourself. So, this one's dedicated to all of you on these boards who made this possible in the first place. Cheers to you.

Willy

RickD

Oh, this is great. I was hoping you'd make an MD one day and I am not disappointed at all. I don't want to put too much pressure on you but we expect some awesome railroad scenes.  :P

The Textbook is a very clever way of telling the history of the region. I like that.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Fantastic start Willy  &apls &apls  I'm really glad you've decided to "take the plunge" and start up your MD. You've come up with a great variety of detail and overview, and nice selection of BATs, a grid-busting road layout, a great amount of fall colors and green from all the flora, and a uniue and nice style of presentation! I admire you for being able to create such a nice small town feel. Keep up the great work and I'll be following very closely  :thumbsup:

namspopof

STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

vortext

Nice first entry!  &apls

Great little town already and the trees, omg the trees, they're everywhere! Especially the second to last shot is amazing, the trees and farmfields go together so well.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM
instead we'll plunge right in as if the 1780s looked a lot like today.

Hehe, funny because it's true.  :P

Looking forward to the next update.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Kergelen

Very nice start!
The village near the big meander of the river is very pleasant. Good distribution of fields, forests and  village &apls

Links to SC4 websites

MTT9

Great start!!! I really like those overviews, the layout, the old-american-town feeling...
Hope to see a lot more of this...
PS: Are those telegraph lines in 1.1?
You can call me Matt

Schulmanator

Nice town. And I enjoy the seasonal trees.  :thumbsup:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

art128

And I'm just seeing your update MD now... Shame on me~

Very nice start Willy. Love the feels of this town. It has a lot of charm in both autumn and spring.

Looking forward to more.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Piterdaw1

Great start of your MD. Church looks very nice.

Swordmaster

Replies

Quote from: RickD
Oh, this is great. I was hoping you'd make an MD one day and I am not disappointed at all. I don't want to put too much pressure on you but we expect some awesome railroad scenes.  :P

The Textbook is a very clever way of telling the history of the region. I like that.

Thanks, Raphael, but... be careful what you ask for! ;)

It's certain that the railways will spearhead regional development, and thus will get a load of attention. At the same time, I explicitly want to avoid turning this into a niche MD (nothing wrong with them, though). I'm trying to keep everyone on board, and maintain a broad horizon on city building.

PS: I'm thinking about what bonus I should give you for being the first replier. :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem
Fantastic start Willy  &apls &apls  I'm really glad you've decided to "take the plunge" and start up your MD. You've come up with a great variety of detail and overview, and nice selection of BATs, a grid-busting road layout, a great amount of fall colors and green from all the flora, and a uniue and nice style of presentation! I admire you for being able to create such a nice small town feel. Keep up the great work and I'll be following very closely  :thumbsup:

Good to know you're coming along! I'll try to keep the ride smooth and bump-free. ;D

Quote from: namspopof
Very good Start !  &apls

Merci!

Quote from: vortext
Nice first entry!  &apls

Great little town already and the trees, omg the trees, they're everywhere! Especially the second to last shot is amazing, the trees and farmfields go together so well.   :thumbsup:

Hehe, funny because it's true.  :P

Looking forward to the next update.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for stopping by! I agree spring is the nicest season in town. And indeed, custom farms, something which I've started to dabble with only recently, have contributed more than anything else to the atmosphere.

Quote from: Kergelen
Very nice start!
The village near the big meander of the river is very pleasant. Good distribution of fields, forests and  village &apls

Thanks to you as well. Beware, though; Bartonians don't like their place to be called a 'village'! A town, sir! A town! There's some sensitive folks there, you know. ;)

Quote from: MTT9
Great start!!! I really like those overviews, the layout, the old-american-town feeling...
Hope to see a lot more of this...
PS: Are those telegraph lines in 1.1?

You'll get some more, but not a lot more. There's indeed a ton of rural communities like this spread around, but urban development will get the better of them soon enough, so the rural character will gradually fade.

About those lines... they were a little... premature if anything – you didn't see that! $%Grinno$%

Quote from: Schulmanator
Nice town. And I enjoy the seasonal trees.  :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm trying to keep it all-seasonal here. Now all I need to do is to get PSC as far as Schulmania (small effort, right?).

Quote from: art128
And I'm just seeing your update MD now... Shame on me~

Very nice start Willy. Love the feels of this town. It has a lot of charm in both autumn and spring.

Looking forward to more.

It's nice to see you stop by, whenever – I can't count all the updates I missed from your MD.

Quote from: Piterdaw1
Great start of your MD. Church looks very nice.

Thanks!

0.2. Barton, 1780s (part 2)

Continuing our exploration of the early settlers, let's take some time out in the countryside.

0.2.1.  Across the Thunder, all is still left to the jaws of nature:

0.2.2.  View in summer:

0.2.3.  You might see a clear rock line between water and trees, what with the low river level at times.

0.2.4.  The only regional road, so far, running to the southwest: Scarborough Road, which connects to a hamlet some six miles south.

0.2.5.  It's quite a scenic journey in fall, but that's for some other time.

0.2.6.  This is the second water tower (south is up):

0.2.7.  Further down the road, Barnie's house (south is up):

0.2.8.  Barnie's livestock:

0.2.9.  Like much of the region, this area used to be marshland. Canals were an important measure of flood control at the time. Pumps were wind-powered (east is up):

0.2.10.  Looking for fish?

0.2.11.  You, too?

0.2.12.  Different methods, same thing, I guess.

0.2.13.  More canals (east is up):

0.2.14.  Out into the river (east is up):

0.2.15.  At least, it's still clean water now! (Yes folks, enjoy the blue water while it lasts.)

0.2.16.  Fire and water, then. Several square miles of forest land stretched out west and south of Barton, and each summer posed a threat. Early warning was key (south is up):

0.2.17.  Some folks don't mind the risk as they prefer solitude:

0.2.18.  Here the western end of town (west is up):

0.2.19.  A trail path that leads all along the river. At the time, there was no direct land connection to the interior of the state (west, where the state capital is). All trade happened (or would happen) over the waterways.

0.2.20.  Closing off this chapter, an overview of Barton. Click for full size!

Next up, we'll take a look around the wider vicinity.

Thanks everyone for viewing. Leave a comment if you like, whatever your thoughts are.

Cheers
Willy

Schulmanator

Some very nice rural areas. I like it! :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

MTT9

Love that overview and can't wait to see the wider vicinity! The regional road looks great and the canal is a nice addition.

Wonder what will happend to all the farmland and the forests...
You can call me Matt

jmyers2043

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 13, 2012, 04:03:50 PM
.... Thanks everyone for viewing .....

No, thank you for sharing. I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading the captions. I wish that I played rural as well as you do.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Simcoug

Very impressive rural scenes!  I'm looking forward to see how the town progresses through the ages  :thumbsup:

WC_EEND

Very impressive my fellow Belgian, I really like what you're doing here.

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

noahclem

Fantastic work Willy  &apls  The countryside here, particularly all the farms, are just excellent. It's also very nice to get the variety of zoomed shots. Keep it up  :thumbsup:

Gugu3

Very nice!love the countryside! &aplswhich street tree mod are you using just for curiosity? :thumbsup:

feyss

Nice town and nice rural areas. A very good start for your MD.   :thumbsup:

benedict

I love the way you ended the canal with the pipe - unique approach.
Click on the banner to celebrate!