• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Help With Traffic/Commute

Started by WannGLondon, November 16, 2012, 12:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WannGLondon

Hey all, I was wondering in the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, what is the most realistic setup? I have most values set to the High (European) setting, but I have changed the preferences for commuters to maybe get more use out of my mass transit. Here is a picture;

And a second question is, are residents able to commute from anywhere across the region? Like across 2 large city tiles? Like this;

Please help. I have a fear of dilapidation and abandonment.
Call me Warren.

wallasey

I've had weird commutes across three tiles...have you got any so called "Commute Circles" going on in your region?

Previously, I have tended to leave the values as they are...if it's not broke, dont fix it!

Reform

Quote from: WannGLondon on November 16, 2012, 12:56:07 PM
And a second question is, are residents able to commute from anywhere across the region? Like across 2 large city tiles? Like this;

Yes and no.

Game only recognizes that there are suitable jobs at next tile. It does not, however, store any work data across city tiles. Some of your residents may travel trough 2 tiles to get a job, but tile they left wouldn't know anything about that. Your sims keep searching the closest place for work. If it isn't offered in the next tile, then they don't know to look it from the 3rd tile. It should also be noted that crossing the city border is allways considered as long travelling time, despite the physical location of the workingplace.

This does not mean that your tiles automatically suffer from dilapidation and abandonment. Demand itself is regional, so satisfying that should keep your sims happy. You may be forced to build some amount of higher value office buildings if region and demand are notably large. So far this looks good.

- Ilja

Edit: You might wish to use some fields and get comfortable with mods related to them. They are pretty good way of satisfying various levels of demand, without adding too much to city core.

WannGLondon

These replies actually helped a lot, thank you both.
Call me Warren.