• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DBE-based Suspension Bridges: Possible?

Started by woodb3kmaster, June 28, 2013, 01:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

After reading through the readme for the Diagonal Bridge Enabler, I'm left with a question: Is it possible to design and build suspension bridges with this mod?

My main interest in using the DBE to build suspension bridges doesn't actually have anything to do with diagonal bridges per se; I'm actually interested in using the DBE to build orthogonal RHW-6C/-8C bridges (which would have to be built using the DBE for capacity reasons since the C-type RHW networks are three cells wide, and the EXE doesn't let us build bridges on adjacent cells), and the biggest such bridge I want to build is a suspension bridge. While I don't fully understand how the game draws bridges built with the DBE, the rail viaduct truss bridge included with the DBE suggests that a suspension bridge would have to be puzzle piece-based. Given the length of most in-game suspension bridges (and that of the bridge I want to build), a puzzle-based approach might pose problems, since puzzle pieces have hardcoded size restrictions. That leaves overhanging puzzle pieces as the most viable solution, AFAIK.

I imagine that players would first draw the bridge with the RHW-6C/-8C (using whichever width and height they wanted), then plop a pair of overhanging puzzle pieces to give the bridge its final appearance. These puzzle pieces would likely contain the bridge's towers (or possibly anchorages) within their footprint, with the cables overhanging, and they'd probably have to include some sort of visual override for the section of RHW between them to keep the RHW's usual pylons from appearing. The main downside to this approach, as I see it, is that the bridge would be limited to a fixed length (or set of lengths, if one were to make several puzzle pieces at different horizontal scales), requiring users to measure the width of the waterway they want to cross before building the bridge. However, while some users might find such a restriction inconvenient, I think that most people wouldn't mind having to do a little measuring, especially since the TerrainQuery cheat makes such measurements easy.

I'm not fully confident in the above assessment, so I'm open to feedback from anyone who's knowledgeable on the subject of SC4 bridges, especially on issues relating to the DBE and multi-cell-wide bridges. If this idea turns out to be feasible, my plan is to try my hand at modeling the George Washington Bridge (at least, a single-deck version of it) for use with the RHW-6C and -8C (two different versions, obviously). I imagine that I'll have to read up on bridge modeling and modding to make this idea a reality, but I hope that it ends up working. Ideally, this project will end up inspiring others to tackle the challenge of making bridges for the wider RHWs. :)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

MandelSoft

If you're going to make a suspension bridge this way, then yes, puzzle pieces with overhanging T21 props should do the trick. You could leave the puzzle piece model the same for all tiles, and add models of the towers later on as a T21 prop, but you can also bake in the towers and model the cables in later on (which does give a slightly better result. Compared to normal bridge modeling, this approach does give you a bit more freedom (although I advise you to render the cables separately. This is also how I set up my Dual RHW-6S arch bridge while reusing models from the Dual RHW-6S Cable-stayed bridge:

<Bloody hell! Majhost is down again, so I can't link you to an image>

However, you're right about fixed lengths. I think the Cable-Stayed bridge is a much more flexible approach in that respect.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kuewr665

I've also wondered about using this type of setup to build bridges that rise in the main span and are otherwise close to the water surface using puzzle pieces.

jdenm8

Quote from: Kuewr665 on July 12, 2013, 05:39:44 AM
I've also wondered about using this type of setup to build bridges that rise in the main span and are otherwise close to the water surface using puzzle pieces.

You could do this using a RUL-Based bridge, that's how the Maxis one works. Unlike the Network RULs, the Bridge RUL is rather easy to get a grasp of how to use.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

memo

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on January 27, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: memo on January 26, 2014, 12:56:46 AM
It is indeed very well possible to apply the DBE technique to orthogonal (multi-tile) networks, but you need to add those exemplars that Blue Lightning mentioned. They are in the default game for the Road network, so you can already drag Roads across a gorge.
I see. That's good news; just how hard would it be to add pylon properties to the RHW, and what exactly would need to be set? I've never modeled or modded a bridge, so I have no idea what's involved.

It's just a matter of copying two exemplars and changing the IDs. From SimCity_1.dat, the exemplar with GID 0x8974F80F and IID 0x00004B00 will be copied to IID 0x57000000 and the one with IID 0x00000300 to 0x57000100. The IIDs in the properties will be changed, too.

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on January 27, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
Yes, using T21s would likely not be the best way to make a suspension bridge. Based on the discussion in the thread I posted earlier, I think the best option (unless we resort to the radically innovative ideas you discussed later in your post) would be to have a model for the bridge deck without any pylons, and then make the bridge towers and cables an overhanging prop located on the puzzle piece that initiates the override for the bridge deck.

Yes, for the start, this is a good idea. Bear in mind though that this will restrict the bridge to fixed lengths. It can be mitigated to some extent by using separate puzzle pieces for the pylons, so that the distinace between the land and the first pylon is variable by a few tiles. Based on how this turns out, we can consider the other implementation.