• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SG canal-ocean transition

Started by ZonZaucker, June 25, 2007, 05:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZonZaucker

do they exist?  ()what() I've finally succeeded in starting a venice-like town, but after hours of terraforming, I realized that I cannot create a continuum between the flat canals and the sea.  :angrymore:
I'm using sg canals and all the BMD venice stuff I could get, but no way to let a canal flow into open ocean.
does anybody have a hint? thanks in advance

callagrafx

Your best bet is to use the overflow (or dam) to terminate the canal at the shoreline...as in reality there is never a transition from freshwater canals to seawater where there is no intervening barrier, otherwise the canals could be subjected to tidal forces.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

ZonZaucker

Quote from: callagrafx on June 25, 2007, 05:49:00 AM
Your best bet is to use the overflow (or dam) to terminate the canal at the shoreline...as in reality there is never a transition from freshwater canals to seawater where there is no intervening barrier, otherwise the canals could be subjected to tidal forces.

I wanted my city with its days of "acqua alta" (the high tide in venice).... :P
anyway, thank you for helpin me, I've found a lot of transition pieces but they all have some "barrier".
that means I'd have some kind of "hypermodern" venice  ()stsfd()

Ennedi

ZonZaucker,

You can think in another way. You can make all your sea using ploppable SG water. There are 1x1 and 3x3 water pieces in the basic set.
I don't know what is your vision, but if I would want to build such city, I wouldn't want to have all seaside made by brick. If I would want to make less civilised part of the seaside, I would need to hide straight edges of SG water. It can be done using ploppable pieces such as rock and some kinds of flora.

As you see, using Jeronij's ploppable rocks you can reach some irregularity, but Goldiva stuff (reefs, rocks) doesn't work well in this case.
You can also use Scorchin's ploppable rocks:

You will have the next problem, if you will want to make a seaport with ships. They can't be plopped on the land. But you can make two separate parts of your sea divided by a long pier (or land) reaching to the city's border. Than you can try to choose the water mod similar to SG water. Maybe it will not be identical, but it don't need if you have your sea divided. Different colors of water are something natural in real life, you can see for example the great french seaport Le Havre using Google Earth.
I don't know if my suggestions will be useful, but maybe... It is worth to think about it, the Venice stuff is beautiful.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

gtaman

vortext

In the future please check the date on the thread you're about to reply to, gtaman, and refrain from bumping eight (8!) year old threads.  :)

And just in case for passersby: there's also ILL Tonkso's SG UK canal lock. The screenshot apparently didn't survive the recent update but it's basically a simpler version, without the watch house.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana