• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CityMania

Started by Nique, February 03, 2009, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nique

Yes, we take a shot! Let's do this!

Whaaaat? A new city building game?!
Where does this come from?
Yes, but this project can take a few months before the first playable version rolls out.. please be patient, the latest updates will be in this topic ;). The main reason for this game is that even while a lot of people in the Simcity community are working very hard to make Simcity more realistic, more fun to play.. we are reaching the boundaries of the possibilities of extending that game.

With much better computer performance these days, with many many more of you guys in the community, we should be able to create a open source clone of Simcity. Take all the good things out of that game and try to add new features. With our own source code, we should be able to expand CityMania forever and ever..

Communities are getting really powerful these days, let's use our own knowledge and stop back-engineering a 2003 dated (old) Simcity game, or waiting for new ones. That's what i (Nique) thought. Well, this was my main motivation to start this project and i am happy to see more people are getting interested! If you can contribute in any way (modeling 3d, textures etc), let us know.

Sources and Wiki & Help
Homepage: (nothing to see yet)
http://www.citymania.info
Sources from GitHub
http://github.com/Nique/CityMania/
and
http://github.com/croxis/CityMania

Wiki pages also on GitHub (help correcting)
http://wiki.github.com/Nique/CityMania/transpose-from-old-wiki

Team
In no particular order

NiqueProject starter
c# coding, working on everything i guess ;). Also be able to do 2d Graphics and base textures
tomkeusPhysicist
Simulator coding
croxisPython Guru
Server/Network Dude
JoeST
Townscape2d Graphic Artist
Proudly developer of

LE0

Like make our own SimCity?
Nice idea but isnt it illegal? :P
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Nique

Quote from: LE0 on February 03, 2009, 11:42:25 AM
Like make our own SimCity?
Nice idea but isnt it illegal? :P

No, of course not. We name it Open Simcity.. this is not a trademarked name. And we do not use any of the 'official content' of Simcity 4. We are inspired by Simcity 4. But that's legal  ()stsfd()
Proudly developer of

Jonathan

There was an attempt (or there is atm, but they don't make it very clear whats going on) at Simtropolis, to make our own SimCity, but it doesn't get very far.

I think it would be better if we could get the developers back, and hopefully allow a select few who know what they're doing to make modifcations to the EXE. How long has it been since someone has written to them?

Jonathan

Nique

Well, i don't know, but if you have to code all the controllers yourself (for example, the input controll) yes it will take very long, but the XNA framework has done all of that. Since i have seen and played with that, i am convinced that it will be possible to make such a game
Proudly developer of

Meastro444

Quote from: Nique on February 03, 2009, 11:54:13 AM
Well, i don't know, but if you have to code all the controllers yourself (for example, the input controll) yes it will take very long, but the XNA framework has done all of that. Since i have seen and played with that, i am convinced that it will be possible to make such a game
You have a link in your sig about a possible SC4 Sequel.

What about that one?
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Nique

They're satisfied by the icons they have, they talk Spanish.. etc.

I want English, english game, english forum, english site so everybody can understand. The one in my sig is spanish. They are happy with what they have now. And i do not agree with that.

Besides, nobody replied on that topic in days..

Proudly developer of

Haljackey

I know very little about what you're doing, but its a nice idea.

We're going to have to get the entire SC4 community together if this is going to even get off the ground.  It might also be worth a shot to contact dirk as well as EA/Maxis just to let them know. 

Warrior, are you referring to "Simtropolis 1000: Lets take a serious look at developing our own game from the ground up"?  That thread has slowed recently, but it might be a good place to recruit some members.

I'll be watching this thread and see what develops.  Just keep in mind the legal and copyright issues and make sure you don't attempt to infringe upon them.

Best,
-Haljackey

Jonathan

Yes I think there was another thread that got a bit further but I'm not sure,
I think we should make another attempt at contacting Maxis and asking them to resume communication to the community.

Jonathan

Haljackey

All right, if it wasn't that thread, perhaps it was this one?  Nevertheless, both of the threads I linked would be an excellent place to search.

I do remember Will Wright announcing that he plans to do one last thing before he retires.  Perhaps a new Simcity?  Anything's possible, but I doubt it.  If you can contact dirk he could provide you with some information regarding this issue as he has had communications with Maxis.

Anyways, I wish you luck with the project and look forward to any developments!

Best,
-Haljackey

Nique

I'll absolutely try stay legal. Never will have intention to violate any rule. As far as i know is making a new Simcity game, naming it  'open simcity' and let's say we are inspired by the simcity series is not a violation of any law / rule.  :)

I will of course look at these topics you guys gave me! The more information the better.

I can tell you this at this right moment that i can not do this alone. So people with skills let's put our heads together.

Quote from: Warrior on February 03, 2009, 12:36:59 PM
Yes I think there was another thread that got a bit further but I'm not sure,
I think we should make another attempt at contacting Maxis and asking them to resume communication to the community.

Jonathan

How? Who can we contact. Nobody responds on the official site. And posting on the EA support forums will not help as it's all mass.. I know Dirk is the owner of Simtropolis, but does he have contact with the team? I don't think the team still exists

For people who 'want' to help, and have a good feeling with computers etc.. please take a look at this tutorial site
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/Series1/Starting_a_project.php

It's a good quick 'do and learn' tutorial that explains alot about the basics. Just fallow their instructions. You will learn the fast by just doing it.
Proudly developer of

Jonathan

I asked one of the people at ea.support about contacting maxis and this was the reply:
QuoteOn the back of any game box you will find the copyright information along with the address for our Corporate office where the Sims team (Maxis) is located. If you compile suggestions, recommendations and concerns from yourself and other users they could be sent to that office addressed to that development team.
I couldn't find my game box so I couldn't find the address, but looking on my SCS and Sims boxes I didn't see any addresses.

Jonathan

Nique

Quote from: Warrior on February 03, 2009, 01:35:38 PM
I asked one of the people at ea.support about contacting maxis and this was the reply:I couldn't find my game box so I couldn't find the address, but looking on my SCS and Sims boxes I didn't see any addresses.

Jonathan

That's what i meant.. they send you from door to door..

I'll look on mine:
Electronic Arts Nederland B.V.
Postbus 75756
1118 ZX Schiphol-Triport

Well this isn't the original address of the SC4 team..

Proudly developer of

Jonathan

I found this on the web:
209 Redwood Shores Pkwy.
Redwood City, CA 94065
United States 
Phone: 650-628-1500
Fax: 650-628-1422

It's getting quite off topic though, maybe another thread should be opened in the right forum.

Jonathan

j-dub

How about Devotion City, or Simulated Cityscape? I just don't know if they won't pull something were they go we don't want you using that title. Who knows, EA might not own it, but the problem is does the SimCity title belong to Will still?

Nique

Well..

Currency: Devo's
Inhabitants: Inhabitants
People: People

We don't really necessary need the 'sim' idea.

The time method used in Simcity 4 is very smart. No real dates,

Just year 1,2,3,4 etc (but of course with month's days and hours)

This will make the game timeless ;)
Proudly developer of

Nique

Well, the mouse cursor has been written   ;D

And a temporary logo has been made

Proudly developer of

LE0

So the goal is to get permission be able to edit sc4 or make a whole new game? ;)
Id be fine even if EA let us make changes to the game :)
Leoland coming Spring 2009

carkid1998

nice idea! I would use it! scs is pathetic(except for the graphics). Is the idea to create a modern sc4 with 3d(or better) graphics and improved
(more precise) gameplay? 
Sendona... Coming soon!