Menu

LEX File Exchange
EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia
Network Addon Mod
Dependencies
Chat
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

September 19, 2021, 09:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimCity 4 General Discussion / Re: Tropical Storm squalls over City
« Last post by HurricaneMod10 on September 17, 2021, 06:56:00 PM »
Winter Storms along with Wind Chill SC4!

A winter storm is a combination of heavy snow, blowing snow and dangerous wind chills. A blizzard is a long-lasting snowstorm with very strong winds and intense snowfall. Strong winds can accompany lake-effect snows creating severe blizzards and whiteout conditions with light to catastrophic snowstorms.
Network Addon Mod (NAM) / Re: NAM 42 Now Available
« Last post by ArduousCynic on September 15, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »
Yup - I will datpack it all. I had 41 datpacked just couldn't resist launching 42 before doing that.

Regarding the folders in Containers - I still have all those com.apple folders (as well as a couple others), just have never seen the com.aspyr folder. I got lucky that I scrolled down when I was first trying to install 39 and saw the SimCity4 folder. I was close to giving up.

And thanks for that edit. But you can call me Scott if you want.

Peace and Love
OK!  :thumbsup: Just stay with TGN (I just move the folder into other place for safe mode if any problems) and get the patch until next version comes out soon!
You don't need to remove the entire TGN mod, the only affected file seems to be in:

z____MGB Mods\G - TGN\1 - Maxis & Basic NAM

TGN FTL - EU.dat

Due to an error in my script, these files all ended up with the US textures. If you are using the SV version of TGN, the patch Henry Crun mentions gives a working EU replacement of this file. If not, simply tell me which version you are using and I'll happily upload a fix. To update the mod on the exchanges is a big task, so may not happen for a while.

Just to add, I've verified no issues with the actual NAM textures, the correct EU ones are present.
« Last post by mgb204 on September 15, 2021, 05:50:22 AM »
Thanks so much for coming back on this.

So the information on opening the package file is probably irrelevant, You'd only need to edit the package to get at the Install or GameData, something which rarely needs modding. I had erroneously thought that the User data was part of the same package, however it's clear now this is in the following folder:

Users/{username}/Library/Containers/SimCity4 Deluxe Edition/Data/Documents/SimCity4/Plugins

So this is effectively the AppStore equivalent of Users/{username}/Documents/SimCity4/ for Steam users. The Plugins and Regions folders therein contain all your mods and save files/cities respectively.

It will likely still be necessary for users to install the NAM elsewhere, then move the resulting folder. But now we know where this folder is, we can better inform other users. But without access to the same version, it's impossible to know where they are. I'd say you've earnt your beer mate :).

One last tip, if you've yet to do so, you should DATPack the resulting Network Addon Mod folder, this effectively reduces the number of files/folders used by NAM. This is important on a Mac, because having beyond a certain number, which I can attest a full NAM install itself is beyond, SC4 becomes quite unstable and crashes a lot.

Quick update
So I think I can now see what's changed in Big Sur that's caused all the confusion. If we look at your screenshot, inside the Containers folders, everything is named like the apps themselves:

Whereas, if I compare that to Catalina, you can see everything uses the old com.apple.XXX naming system:

Therefore, it seems the location is different for OSX and OSXI users, so those on Catalina still need to use the old location, whereas those using Big Sur (and presumably newer) versions should use the new one.
OK! I just removed mgb TGN mod because of some buggy and rsc204 will working it for LHD users. Right now, is OK and nothing happen on NAM itself.  I will install TGN back after rsc204 update it.  :thumbsup:
« Last post by ArduousCynic on September 14, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
Alrighty then!

I haven't spent any time playing yet, just kind of scrolled through a couple of menus, but I was able to install! Saw the 3 level intersections and I'm super excited to start using them! To satisfy my sense of aesthetics, I tend to build 2 T intersections in close proximity. I'll be playing around with cloverleaf ideas using those triples for sure!

Follow the instructions for Mac install in V.41. The difference is - when manually moving the Network Addon Mod folder, open a new finder window, hold Command and Shift and Period keys to unhide folders, then move Network Addon Mod folder to the location; Users/{username}/Library/Containers/SimCity4 Deluxe Edition/Data/Documents/SimCity4/Plugins.

The Library folder in this path is typically hidden. A user won't see it until they unhide their folders. After the move, simply hold Command and Shift and Period again, and all those unhidden folders get hidden again.

Looking in the App Package doesn't reveal anything that I can truly understand. I don't code, so I'm not sure what I would be looking for. But maybe the path with the unhidden folders could open opportunities with the .jar installer? You know better than me.

I consider myself a good 40% luddite. So if this actually helps other Mac users install your most awesome mod, I might have to buy myself a beer.

Thanks again y'all. I'm not much of gamer, but somehow SimCity4 with the NAM does it for me. Y'all Rawk.
FTL Quick Turn was buggy!!! Used NAM 42! Showed YELLOW LINES (for USA)! Should used WHITE LINES (for UK)...

Might you have mgb/rsc204's TGN mod? I had this and found he has released a patch for EU textures. Click here for the Simtropolis post containing the patch.

--
Dave
« Last post by ArduousCynic on September 14, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
Thanks Tarkus and mgb204

It's been a minute since I did the 41 install, but how I did it was to first find the plugins folder, and then write out the path in the installer.

Opening a new finder window, a user must hold down Command, Shift, Period keys. This unhides all folders. Then the path is - Users/(username)/Library/Containers/SimCity4 Deluxe Edition/Data/Documents/SimCity4/Plugins.

I assume it works without unhiding the folders first, but that's what I did to find it. It took me a minute because I was looking for the folder com.aspyr.simcity4.app and just couldn't find it. Then I happened to scroll down further and saw the SimCity4 Deluxe Edition folder. "Why not?" says I. And there it all was.

Before you update the instructions, let me try installing the 42. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks Y'all!
« Last post by mgb204 on September 14, 2021, 11:47:47 AM »
Ultimately the NAM installer (since NAM37), has been unable to directly install NAM for the AppStore release of SC4. This is because the app is distributed as a Packaged file, which 3rd party apps simply can not have access too, due to sandboxing restrictions in-place in MacOS. Up until Catalina, it just required that you install the NAM in documents (or somewhere), then move the resulting Network Addon Mod folder, into the correct Plugins folder, inside the Package (App) file. Just find the SC4 App, right click and select "Show Package Contents".

Sadly, no one has yet to provide the correct path within the package, so we can't pass this information onto others. Yet I'd be surprised a little if no Mac users who play SC4 had got this to work, or that all of them who'd updated to Big Sur used the Steam edition. The Steam version still uses Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins, just like the Windows editions do for mods. If the new rules under Big Sur are preventing AppStore releases from being edited completely (a possibility), that effectively kills off Modding support for the AppStore version of SC4 completely.

But, I suspect someone a bit more familiar with how these App Packages work, could find a way to access the relevant location to copy the NAM (or other) mods to it. Then it's a case of does the edited app still work or does that cause a security block. As Tarkus states, we'd really like to know, so we can help anyone else with the same issue. But the developer notes I linked to state that users can modify these, so unless it's out of date, I have to assume it is possible. Under Catalina I edited mine to change the background PNG files to a modded version and even swapped the intro videos for 1-second trimmed versions to speed loading, neither change cause me any problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10