• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New Airports!

Started by Terring7, September 19, 2010, 08:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

Airports are vital for large cities, but what if you don't have plenty of open space? What if heliports are not enough? And what if you already build plenty of airports-bus stops? Here is an answer, building airports over buildings!

Still takes too much space? In that case, how about an underground airport?

Unrealistic ideas? Maybe. But for as long as humanity evolve into an ecological society, those ideas will be more often... and maybe a reality!
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

editfish

HotChocolate

Interesting ideas... But the only thing is, have you seen the size of that skyscraper airport?!  :o Massive, plain, supertall, and a box. Wouldn't want that in my city...

HC  :)

Terring7

I would like to have a skyscraper airport, but I'll agree that this design is too boxy and bulk! I think that a more elegant airport will be more beautiful, like this...

Hmm, the above structure looks more like a vertiport (airport for V.T.O.L. aircrafts, like V-22 Osprey) ;) . And as about the underground, wow! We really need something like these &hlp
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

FrankU

Maybe it would be nice to have some arcologies that can take off every morning to bring the inhabitants to their offices..... Oh, no, that would make the arcologies pointless. Well, I mean, large buildings that can fly. Wouldn't that be nice? Or is this more a theme for the SciFi thread by Terring7?

Terring7

Like this?

Good ideas, but not in this topic $%Grinno$%
The Choice is Ours
---

Lowkee33

I suppose we could make things "fly" by making them way off the ground in LE.  Sorry if this is off topic, but I will try to bring it around with this pic.

Good luck getting to the other terminal in time for a connecting flight.

Terring7

A floating airport, good idea :thumbsup: . We'll need road connection however, unless we give to the airport a "subway station" ability, or using FLUPs ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

marsh

Tokyo Japan has an airport similar to that. It doesn't float, but is on a massive artificial island. Kansai Airport

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_International_Airport

jdenm8

lol Marsh :P
I think you mean Osaka!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

editfish

Zaphod

How cool.

Would it actually work, that is would plane automata visibly take off and land, or would they clip inside the building and land at the base level? Surely there is a clever way around this?

In Simcity 2000, if planes ran into buildings they'd explode. Skyscraper cities would have non-stop "kaboom" sounds, unless you made a path for the planes. I guess this stopped being PC after 9/11, heh.
War Kittens !?

Lowkee33

&idea

A seawall could be made to look like the edge of a floating airport.

(I can't make up my mind if the worried eyes come before or after the idea in that emoticon...)