• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mod to increase maximum demand?

Started by kormer, February 28, 2010, 05:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kormer

CAM introduces a new feature to increase the maximum possible demand from 6k to something much larger, making it easier for larger capacity buildings to show up.  For a variety of reasons I'm not ready to use CAM, but would like a mod that replicates this functionality.  Is anyone aware of such a mod in existence?

Please note, I'm not interested in any of the cheat mods that artificially change demand.

xxdita

Actually, I have one in development. Still in testing though. You can read my post here.

SC4BOY

It is not at all clear that this kind of mod even makes sense outside of the CAM type environment. Why? Because in the standard game the Res and Com only can be Stage 8.. this has implications of "capacity" limitations as well. Jacking up models capacity just so people can say "look at my city!! Its bigger than yours!!" just isn't logical. What advantage of a Stage 8 with 50000 capacity vs a Stage 8 with 8000? I'm not taking a position, just trying to learn what the logic is to this kind of request. Is it aimed at "megalots"?

edit: Hmm.. for now I'm experimenting with an "all maxis" region, I have only a very few plugins installed.. bridge height, NAM, and digger lots.. However my demand graph clearly shows a span of -6000 to +24000. The only thing I can see that likely changes this display is the NetworkAddonMod_UI.dat. It also says something else to me.. the STANDARD GAME already has a WIDE RANGE of demand, only that the graph is limited in span.. again it seems likely that the game doesn't need a mod for "demand".. it looks like the game already has it, just doesn't show it.

kormer

Quote from: SC4BOY on February 28, 2010, 07:46:49 AM
It is not at all clear that this kind of mod even makes sense outside of the CAM type environment. Why? Because in the standard game the Res and Com only can be Stage 8.. this has implications of "capacity" limitations as well. Jacking up models capacity just so people can say "look at my city!! Its bigger than yours!!" just isn't logical. What advantage of a Stage 8 with 50000 capacity vs a Stage 8 with 8000? I'm not taking a position, just trying to learn what the logic is to this kind of request. Is it aimed at "megalots"?

edit: Hmm.. for now I'm experimenting with an "all maxis" region, I have only a very few plugins installed.. bridge height, NAM, and digger lots.. However my demand graph clearly shows a span of -6000 to +24000. The only thing I can see that likely changes this display is the NetworkAddonMod_UI.dat. It also says something else to me.. the STANDARD GAME already has a WIDE RANGE of demand, only that the graph is limited in span.. again it seems likely that the game doesn't need a mod for "demand".. it looks like the game already has it, just doesn't show it.

I've got NAM installed too, but it only goes +-6k for me.  50k is probably a bit overkill, but I know there are issues getting 8k-10k skyscrapers to spawn when max demand can only hit 6k.

Thanks for the tip XX, I'll try it out and let you know how it works.

xxdita

It all depends on what you're trying to do. It's not just the total demand that's capped at 6000 with Rush Hour, it's also the maximum growth rate as well. By boosting the maximum growth rate, which is what I've done with Turbo, not only are you able to have more actual demand, you're able to have more grow at the same time. So it can speed up game play considerably.

Of course, by allowing more simultaneous growth, it will also allow buildings with higher capacities to grow. So growing serious mega-lots is a possibility, or just huge skyscrapers.

I've detailed all of the advantages, and just who may want to use a mod like this in the Turbo thread, linked in my earlier post.

The mod isn't currently available, as I said, it's still being tested, especially for use with CAM.

RippleJet

Quote from: SC4BOY on February 28, 2010, 07:46:49 AM
However my demand graph clearly shows a span of -6000 to +24000. The only thing I can see that likely changes this display is the NetworkAddonMod_UI.dat.

Nope, the only thing that would set the maximum demand to +24,000 is CAM.

SC4BOY

Quote from: RippleJet on February 28, 2010, 11:31:41 AM
Nope, the only thing that would set the maximum demand to +24,000 is CAM.

lol.. well I was going to argue with you but remember now that my simcity_1.dat is a merge (Datpacked) version of the CAM file and the SC4 file.. :) .. so I expect I was playing CAM with no "custom" content even though I didn't know it.. I did have to think about it.. hehe

This gives me a couple of thoughts.. 1. I wonder what all else I've changed by doing that? I certainly will get no custom content as none is in the plugin, however am I using the expanded stages, etc? 2. It may be possible to use this for what kormer wants if it doesn't have a lot of negatives hanging on it... 

PS: I of course did it to play with what was involved in the "2x residents" problem to see how my fairly extensive CAM region  would respond to doing that after having started with CAM 1.0.. that is my pox'd region now though, so I don't play it much.. but I did do a LOT of playing before it finally did that.. expanding my residents to about double what I started at without expanding C or I zones at all..