• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mikeseith's Modular Parking Garages

Started by mikeseith, June 18, 2010, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeseith

I have always been disappointed with the Maxis parking garages and have wanted to do something about them.  When the ACE Modular Airport and ACB VLT Terminals and Jets Series came out, I decided that I would have to make some custom garages.  I recently started work on this modular parking garage set after a ridiculous amount of time spent experimenting and thinking about how to go about this. 

Here is what I have come up with.
so far...

This set will have 2 level, 4 level and 8 level garages. 
   each set has about 10-12 modular lots.
   each modular lot will have between 4 and 20 family props.
   you will be able to plop the lots and have little repetition due to the use of family props.
   there will be transit enabled entrance lots for 2, 4 and 8 level lots available.
   the lots will be in the parks menu and be eye candy, but they will make our garages look so much better. fully functional garages.
The 8 level garages will be coming out shortly.  Next up will be the 4 level garages.  I hope to take much less than 2 years for these.

Planned for later...
  overhanging lots to bridge roads, train tracks or whatever you can think of.
  a special lot that spawns airport traffic for your airport garage complexes.  DONE
  lots that incorporate bus stops or subways.  DONE BUS STOP, POLICE KIOSK
  I may try to create some airport terminal buildings in the far off future.  Terminals for large international airports.  The ACB VLT Terminals are great but don't give me that large airport feel.  If and when I do this, I'll make them compatible with the ACB VLT Terminals and airport pieces.

Drawbacks...
  These are wall to wall lots that have to fit together perfectly without much overlap.  I think I have done a good job so far, but the lots made so far are not perfect.  There are occasional lines that pop up at times, but they are not too glaring.  I did not render these with large parking lot light poles.  actually, the 4 and 8 level garages do have light poles.  These are rendered with full nightlights though.

Releases
August 3, 2010 - The 2 level garages are now released on the STEX and the SC4devotion exchange.

Here are the latest pictures:

io_bg

This is a really interesting idea. I'll certainly use these once they're released!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

metarvo

This looks really good.  :thumbsup:  I get tired of having to use the same old Maxis garage everywhere.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

k808j

They look good. We  ()borg() would hate to fall off of one of them. ()stsfd()

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

MandelSoft

Impressive... I would like to use them in may game  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

WillG_75

That's an awesome idea. Surprised no one ever thought of this until now.

noahclem

Looks awesome, look forward to seeing more! I would definitely use them.

j-dub

Well, thats a surprise. Glad to see your back in action, and glad this idea finally has been implemented.

rooker1

This is a great surprise to see you back in action indeed.  But the bigger and better surprise is your awesome idea!

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Snakepit Dave

Looks great...Welcome back...Can you replicate the scratches, dents, traffic backups and outrageous fees associated with our airport parking?  That's what I would call realism!

jpj_starfleet

These are perfect for airports because some have one long continuous garage and with these you can create that!  &apls

Connor

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: WillG_75 on June 19, 2010, 05:20:39 AM
That's an awesome idea. Surprised no one ever thought of this until now.

oh, I thought about it, but could not come up with a decent idea. Glad someone did.

Personally, I love modular stuff.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

scottott999

Love them!   You touched in your earlier post about generating airport traffic from them.   Is there any way to incorporate a rent-a-car theme to them as well?   Hertz, AVIS. Alamo etc....    Many large airports house rent-a car companies in their parking garages and there seems to be a lack of them from a Lot standpoint in Simcity.   I was hoping to make a parking garage row of different car rental companies in my airports to give them a more authentic look.  Just a thought...    Either way I'm looking forward to their release.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Good idea. I'll make good use of these once released!  ;D
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

mikeseith

Thanks for the feedback folks. 
To scottott999, I was thinking of making some airport shuttle buses and limos for the automata to be spawned.  Not sure how I could incorporate the rental car companies into the BAT, but I'll look into it.

j-dub

I have seen auto rental places all over the place, whether it be a run down de-railed yard, a suite in a tiny strip mall, a used to Be P, or an old McDonalds. I even have seen them in parking garages. It involves taking the bottom floor of a 1x2 or 1x3 ground parking section into a office. Other then signs and colors, (green and with the letter e) I really don't know what you could do here (as in BATing). In my RL, rental cars just usually are regular cars.

FrankU

Wow, yes, good idea indeed! I like it.  &apls
But, ahem.. maybe I didn't look good enough but the theme seems to be missing an entrance.

Gilikov1994

great, great. I think those will look extremly good for airports :D

- Giel :thumbsup:
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

figui

not only for airports, this is a really great idea to avoid using the ugly maxis ones!

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________