• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paris Seine Bridges

Started by xannepan, December 28, 2010, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xannepan

Hi Bridge Engineering team. I'm planning to create some bridges inspired on the ones over the Seine river in Paris. I have started with 'pont neuf'.
So far I have created models (startpiece, repeat piece and center piece). I did not create the high-poly LODs yet, but will do so in the next few days.

Is anyone willing to help me, creating functional bridges. I have read the tutorials but I'm afraid I lack the modding skills to complete these, and I'd like to focus on the 3-modelling.

The screenshot shows the models of the different pieces. Would these be suitable? Also please let me know how I need to progress after I have finished the LODs. I can try to follow Jeronjijs tutorials to render the models.. after that I don't have a clue how to progress....

Thanks,
Alex

noahclem

Beautiful looking bridge!  &apls &apls

Quote from: Nardo69 on December 28, 2010, 12:10:48 PM
Looks great. :)

If you leave the lamp posts away (and maybe replace them by catenaries) this would be also a great railway bridge!  ()stsfd()

Anyway I'd like to see this beauty both as a road bridge as well as a street bridge (red heringbone maybe, grey SAM plaster definately!)

I'd agree as well. The sidewalks seem a bit narrow on the road version so a nice SAM street might fit a bit better (my vote is grey SAM plaster [i thought it was stone]) and a rail version and/or tram version would be great as well.

Zacharuno

It looks amazing. I'm quite impressed. I would agree that the sidewalks seems a little small compared to the road itself. If I may suggest possibly rendering the repeat pieces and then lotting them to see how they line up with sidewalks in game.

I would also like to request/suggest a bridge with a tram in it. I think that would be white nice for those players who like to build European like cities.

Girafe

Really good job Alex  &apls &apls

the only thing I could say is that it's a Parisian Bridge and the US road texture doesn't fit so well  :P
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

threestooges

Beautiful models. I would be happy to help you get these ready for the game.

Once you have your models, all you need is a unique set of bridge IIDs (I'll make sure my list is up to date and get you a set soon). Jeronij's tutorial is more or less all you need to know to get things there. It can be a bit daunting when you first go through, so if you'd like some extra help with the steps, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help where I can.
-Matt

xannepan

I have managed to get the bridge into the game... (using an existing bridge and modding the exemplars, replacing the fsh and 3ds files).
I still need to do some tweaking....but I'm getting there.

Now all I need is a (set of) unique IDs that I can use, so I won't permanently replace the bridge I used.
Matt; I'd be very happy with a list of IDs ;)

Alex

xannepan

Okay, i have encountered some problems that I've not been able to solve
1) see the picture: I have set the SupportInterval to 3... which should be exactly right... Nevertheless I don't get rid of this glitch... Any ideas?
2) in the Jeronij tutorial he advices the following G and I values...
      Start piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30000000
      Repeat piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30010000
      Center piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30020000
Should I use exactly these instances? If not, then how do I select appropriate instances for my bridge pieces...

Hope you can help...

Alex

xannepan

In case anyone else is willing to help out I have attached a zip file with my current bridge dat file.
Note: I'll need to re-render the center pieces because of a LOD problems that hides the traffic when passing through....

Alex

Lowkee33

Hmm, after thinking maybe you got the TGI of the starter and end pieces mixed up, I remembered a thread from this summer. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10950.msg327822#msg327822

The problem here was that the bridge was inherently the wrong length.  A particularly interesting post by Choco was:

Quote from: choco on May 26, 2010, 11:19:42 AM

-----------------------------

the lopsided nature of some of these bridges is mainly due to how the models were created.  this is more apparent at shorter lengths, but almost every bridge suffers from this problem at one time or another.....save for any bridges that are controlled by a RUL (rather than the exemplar). 

for instance, say for an arch bridge like jeronij's old road bridge....let s = a starter piece , r = a repeat piece, and p = a pillar piece.
for a length of 7 tiles as you have shown, the bridge (according to the exemplar modding) will be contructed like this -> s-r-p-r-p-r-s

your problem though, is that the bridge is actually 8 tiles in length, and by default, the game just adds an extra repeat piece, like so -> s-r-r-p-r-p-r-s

so they bridge is modded correctly, its just a figment of how the game operates.

I also thought that maybe your repeat piece needed to have half of the overlook, so that when it mirrors itself a whole overlook is made.  I don't really know how bridges function though, and your picture from a few posts ago shows that it can work.

Badsim

Can't help you , once more ...  &mmm

At least do I know where to test this . Is the texture definitive ? Seems too bright ...

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

xannepan

Thanks Matt, I guess we'll have to life with the glitch... it only occurs for particular bridge lengths where a center piece doesn't fit anymore... I understand only advanced modding using RUL can solve it... (way beyond my modding skills).

Anyway; do you have an answer for me on the Instances of the starter/repeat and center pieces? How do I select appropriate ones? (same for the bridge ID as a whole).

Badsim: about the textures: these are the same textures I use for most of my paris buildings, so I think I'll keep them like this for now.

Alex

threestooges

Lowkee33 is right about the cause of the glitch. It is due to an even number of pieces in the span. However, I think it can be solved without a rul, if you don't mind altering the repeat model piece a bit.

All it seems you would have to do is replicate the upper piece of the arch supports under the repeat piece. You already have it set to match up at the edges, and having it on both the pillar piece and repeat piece shouldn't have any effect (both should overlap nicely).

As for the unique IDs, I'm double checking the list that I have (it's been a while since I've used it) with the current NAM controller to make sure I'm not giving you one that's already been used or reserved. Knowing which ones to use is just a matter of taking the next piece IDs and bridge ID in the sequence. Sorry for the delay on that, but I should have it shortly.

Quote from: xannepan on December 29, 2010, 10:39:09 AM
2) in the Jeronij tutorial he advices the following G and I values...
      Start piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30000000
      Repeat piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30010000
      Center piece: group(second value)= 0xbadb57f1  Instance(third value): 0x30020000
Should I use exactly these instances? If not, then how do I select appropriate instances for my bridge pieces...
Yes. each bridge file, like a lot file, will reference each of the unique model pieces (0x3000000-30020000 in this case) and, if there are any other models with matching IDs, there will be overriding conflicts.
-Matt

xannepan

Matt, no worries about the IDs... I'll be patience ;)

Good suggestions about the repeat piece; at least it won't look like a glitch anymore  ;D I'll try that.

The bridge still will look as intended atlengths 7, 10, 13, 16 etc tiles. Anything in between will cause the "gap" in the arch...
Alex

threestooges

Also, while I'm looking into it, were you planning to make a version for any other networks besides road?

threestooges

Got things verified. So, for this bridge, the bridge ID you should use is: 0x0000A009

The three piece IDs for the bridge:
302B0000
302C0000
302D0000

Use whichever you want for each piece, just make sure they match up with the pieces in the bridge file itself.

It should work in just the same way as Jeronij's tutorial. You'll just need to alter the appropriate numbers. I'm heading out of town for the weekend, so I may not have internet access, but if you have any questions, I'll be back on Sunday, and I'll check back in then. Alex (Tarkus) has reserved the IDs for the NAM controller. Looking forward to seeing this on the LEX.
-Matt

xannepan

Thanks for the IDs matt. I'll see what I can do this year....
I was indeed planning to release them also as a street bridge. And I have a few more bridges on my agenda.... So if you could get me IDs for let'''s say 4 more road and 4 more street bridges I'd be able to get along for some time :)

Happy new year to you all!
Alex

Nardo69

Quote from: xannepan on December 31, 2010, 03:03:08 AM
Thanks for the IDs matt. I'll see what I can do this year....
I was indeed planning to release them also as a street bridge. And I have a few more bridges on my agenda.... So if you could get me IDs for let'''s say 4 more road and 4 more street bridges I'd be able to get along for some time :)

Happy new year to you all!
Alex

&hlp  &hlp  &hlp  &hlp

YES YES YES!!!!

Matt, please give him what he wants!  ;D  :D

Happy new years!

xannepan

Finally!! After what appears a thousand times re-rendering, importing into the reader and hours of tweaking exemplars I have managed to come to a result that I'm happy with. Some minor glitches remain but given the complexity of all this I have decided to live with it.

I hope the next models will go a bit smoother... I have certainly learned a lot.. so I'm hopeful.

Happy 2011!
Alex

xannepan

Matt; what is the best way to get this on the stex/lex? I can fairly easy package it into a zip and upload it... I don't care for installers myself, but I'm not sure how you guys prefer to have it..

Alex

xannepan

Next one in line is pont Napoleon III. 
As soon as I have new IDs I can start rendering...