• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusanMarie1956

I can verify that putting the pieces in backwards fixes that problem.
And unless you're zoomed in really close, you won't notice that the lines under the bridge are reversed.

-Susan Marie
-Susan Marie

Starmanw402007

Warrior, I realigned my city, See Recently Published in MD for details. It was alot work realigning everything LOL. I was able to destroy it and rebuild my entire city. I'm now waiting for the new modds to come out so I can upgrade my roads and highways. And thanks for the advice also.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on February 25, 2008, 10:39:58 AM
In the interim, if you flip the piece backwards (such that the yellow line is on the wrong side) it will function.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Alex, when I did that, somehow the rail traffic got blocked while the RHW worked again...
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Tarkus

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 25, 2008, 08:42:25 PM
Alex, when I did that, somehow the rail traffic got blocked while the RHW worked again...

That's odd--the Rail paths are 2-way and should face the correct direction either way.  It's possible, too, that fixing the RHW resulted in the Rail no longer needing to be used.  Try it in UDI.

-Alex (Tarkus)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Tarkus on February 25, 2008, 09:37:15 PM
That's odd--the Rail paths are 2-way and should face the correct direction either way.  It's possible, too, that fixing the RHW resulted in the Rail no longer needing to be used.  Try it in UDI.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Well Alex, fixing the RHW didn't warrant the Rail not to be used because before I placed the overpass for the Rail, both the RHW and Rail had no problems with the At-Grade intersection.   While building the overpass, I temporary built a second at grade crossing so the rail service wouldn't be interrupted.  Once I had the overpass finished with the RHW textures the correct way for the highway, rail over RHW worked fine (I also closed the 2nd At-Grade Crossing), but RHW was blocked.  Then I changed the piece for the RHW around.  The RHW then worked, but the rail was blocked somehow.  Then I "re-opened" the secondary At-Grade Rail crossing, and the trains started to flow again.

Crazy, huh?
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Ladymame

I've downloaded but not yet installed the NAM June 07, the NAM Essentials, and the NAM 08 Update all for windows.  I'm confused about the NAM Simulator A and B February 08.  Is the an update to REPLACE one of the above or is it an update to INSTALL ALONG WITH the above.  ()what()  Thanks.

Andreas

The new Traffic Simulators are a replacement for the old Traffic Plugins that come with the NAM, but they are not mandatory. If you feel that your Traffic Plugin could do a better job, feel free to try one of the new files.
Andreas

Ladymame

Does the included Cleanitol automatically remove the no longer necessary files, or do I remove them manually per the Cleanitol list?  I'd like to use Simulation A Easy for the increased traffic capacity.  Thanks.

Andreas

You can run Cleanitol for automatically removing old Traffic Plugins, but of course you can do that manually as well. If you created or downloaded a custom Traffic Plugin, the Cleanitol file won't cover it anyway.
Andreas

kassarc16

Also the Cleanitol removes the automata files (though they might have updated that), but the simulators don't have any automata properties, so you'll need to keep your automata plugin. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

zakuten

I'm not sure where I'd put this anymore, since it really isn't a puzzle piece and Maxis type highways don't seem to be supported anymore (Due to everyone wanting RHW), but has there been a ground-highway parallel exit made? And if not, how could I request it properly?
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Glazert

I don't really know if this should count as a NAM issue, since it probably arose from me trying to do things with avenue roundabouts which they weren't designed for.

I really like the Avenue Roundabout with Elevated Highway overpass, but after it has been connected up to ramps to the highway only one avenue each side of the highway can connect to the roundabout.

So like many real-world junctions in the UK I thought of using one roundabout each side of the highway, with a connecting avenue between them. That way it would be possible to connect up to three avenues plus a couple of other roads each side of the highway. I got one way-roads to link the on/off ramps to the roundabout.  (Note that I am using left-hand drive.) However, when I had Drawpaths turned on, I could see that although the roads had connected, the paths had not connected the ramp link roads to the roundabouts (see picture).

Gap in paths:

It might reasonably be thought that I was trying to connect the one-way roads at an awkward angle, but as you can see on the left of the picture, there are roads joining the roundabout at a similarly awkward angle in one direction.

Fortunately there is another way of using roundabouts each side of the highway and joining them up with the paths OK (see second picture). The roundabouts are one tile away from the highway.

Paths OK:

So there is a way of doing what I was thinking of. I only mention this here because it shows that just because you can join the roads it doesn't necessarily mean you have joined the paths.

Andreas

Well, those particular roundabout entries were designed to connect to a highway onramp, as shown in the NAM thread, so I guess warrior thought it wouldn't be necessary to add pedestrian paths. However, if someone uses the connections in other setups, it might be better to add the paths. This should be easy enough to fix for the NAM Team, thanks for pointing it out. :)
Andreas

Glazert

Andreas: I agree about there being no need for pedestrian paths to connect to highway ramps. My point was about the road (for vehicle) paths not joining at the roundabout.

RebaLynnTS

Glad you pointed out the vehicle paths, I missed it the first time you posted.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Crissa

Yes, but the whole concept just blows my mind.

Why would you build that? O-o

-Crissa

Diggis

Because it reflects how it can be in some places.  he did say that it's common in the UK.

Glazert

In my post yesterday I showed how I had come across an oddity in the pathing of one-way roads joining avenue roundabouts each side of a highway as part of an interchange I had built.

After thinking about it overnight,  I realised that the basic point could be shown without any highways or highway ramps. Bear in mind that I have the Left-Hand Drive version. I do not know what shows with Right-Hand Drive.

Picture 1 shows that one-way roads in these particular directions and joining the avenue roundabouts at these particular points do not have the paths connecting the one-way roads to the roundabouts.

Picture 1:

Picture 2 show one-way roads at the same points, but with the direction of the one-way roads reversed. The paths are all connected up.

Picture 2:

Picture 3 show two-way roads at the same points. The paths in both directions are connected up.

Picture 3:

So this little glitch only seems to affect one-way roads in one direction joining avenue roundabouts in a particular way (and I only know about the left-hand drive version).

Andreas

Ok, that makes sense. I must admit that I overlooked your first pic where the "broken" car paths were showing, but after looking at it again there are no paths because it would be a way too sharp turn from the roundabout into a oneway road like this (even though there are such paths for the roads). Let's see what the NAM guys think about the issue.
Andreas

Toichus Maximus

Guys, I'm having some trouble with the bridge controller. I've reinstalled it several times now, but some of the newer bridges like the Garabit Viaduct and the Tsing Ma bridge don't show up in my folder, despite my double checking to be sure the .dat files are there. Any ideas of what could be wrong or what to do?