• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyman7

Hi all,
First of all, I wanted to applaud you for your incredible efforts. Maxis should hire you in an instant!  &apls

I installed the 01/09 NAM by following the instructions. The game loads up fine, and starting a new city is no problem. However, when I load a city that I've already been working on, the game crashes to desktop while loading. I'm pretty sure this is a plugin issue, but I wanted to make sure before I completely ravaged my plugin folder. Thanks!

Jonathan

Andreas, I have never had that problem before with NAM or Maxis stuff, also that would mean that when you drag a diagonal rail across an orth rail the trains could turn onto the Diagonal, when visually there are no switches. And I have never had this happen to me. ()what()

Jonathan

JoeST

Jon: It is because the underpass is diagonal so it has both north-south and east-west connections, and so the lower north-south and the upper north-south "entrances" are "the same". Unlike the actual network, which is obviously different

Atleast, thats what I guess it is
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

dedgren

Joe:

QuoteIt is because the underpass is diagonal so it has both north-south and east-west connections, and so the lower north-south and the upper north-south "entrances" are "the same".

Although I'm a relative newcomer to pathing, each side-to-side path when there are multiple same network paths has a unique numeric identifier.  I think that serves to keep adjacent paths from getting mixed up.

Besides, in this situation, the elevated set of paths is ortho (from one side of the crossed gridsquare to the opposite side) and the ground set of paths is diagonal (from one side to an adjacent side).  So, it is clearly different (although see Andreas's explanation a few posts back concerning the pathfinding engine).

This is a two-gridsquare crossing.  They are exactly the same texture and BAT-wise, and the game .exe rotates one 180 degrees to create the entire thing.  My guess is that it has to do with the path endpoints being one on top of the other in the middle (at least in the x and y axes- as for the z axis (vertical from ground) there is a 15 (scale) meter separation.  On the other hand, this is the case with every two-gridsquare rail crossing out there (I'm pretty sure), and for many of those there is no vertical separation whatsoever.

I'm wondering, whatever the "Rush Hour" commute arrows tell us, what the automata do when they reach that point.

David[/size][/font]

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

b22rian

Quote from: Warrior on January 21, 2009, 09:47:22 AM
I don't know I just tryed it in game, and both the network and puzzle pieces do that, I could've sworn that has never happened before.

Jonathan

I recall seeing the identical situation in a city of mine.. i had a rail viaduct , with a rail diagonal crossing  under
neath it .. and the pathing showed that trains were jumping down from the viaduct on to the diagonal track,
and using it as a short cut both too and from work.. Just figured it was one of the game glitches , that maxis
left us with..

Brian

jgehrts

I'm having "no road access" zots popping up in undeveloped zones.  I didn't have this problem before installing the new NAM, that I can think of... so I'm wondering if it's related to that.  I originally thought it had to do with the SAM, but I tried zoning along a normal Road, and had the same issue.

I've attached a screenshot - it appears the pathing is normal (at least to my somewhat untrained eye  ;)).

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!

simcitymaster101

when i go to the highway menu and click on a rhw (version 3.0) icon it is just a red arrow when i try to place it. only a couple of rhw icons work and also the tram roads and underpasses dont work either. also where do u find the other new features?

smoncrie

Jonathan, the problem of traffic jumping levels in a diagonal-orthogonal crossing has been known for a long time, certainly before the first diagonal road viaducts were released in an early version of the NAM.   No one has been able to fix this problem.

David, it has been a while since I paid any attention to it, but I think that car automata actually change levels.  The change is probably instantaneous, because I don't remember seeing any half way between levels. I don't remember about train automata.

z

Quote from: jgehrts on January 21, 2009, 08:19:30 PM
I'm having "no road access" zots popping up in undeveloped zones.  I didn't have this problem before installing the new NAM, that I can think of... so I'm wondering if it's related to that.  I originally thought it had to do with the SAM, but I tried zoning along a normal Road, and had the same issue.

I've attached a screenshot - it appears the pathing is normal (at least to my somewhat untrained eye  ;)).

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!

Do the zots go away if you run the game for a while?

catty

Quote from: jgehrts on January 21, 2009, 08:19:30 PM
I'm having "no road access" zots popping up in undeveloped zones ....

I was having a look at your picture and could not see any power lines, etc, I have probably missed seeing them and that's not the reason why you are not getting any development happening, but I get that "No Road Access" zots when I haven't build or connected any power lines/plants to an undeveloped zone, if thats not the case then I am  %confuso  and its back to the drawing board and hopefully someone else will have the correct answer
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

FrankU

Quote from: smoncrie on January 21, 2009, 11:18:45 PM
David, it has been a while since I paid any attention to it, but I think that car automata actually change levels.  The change is probably instantaneous, because I don't remember seeing any half way between levels. I don't remember about train automata.

Andreas, David, Smoncrie and others....
This dicussion about pathing issues is way above my head.
I think I can stay with another explanation: it is probably a kind of quantum tunneling effect in the simulation that's running in my microprocessor. The electrons representing my railroad passengers tunnel through the electrons that represent the viaduct and everything becomes one big mess! Well, could you believe such things?

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I can live with non fixable items like this. It only, well, diminishes the fun in laying down beautifully curved tracks...

Pikatchoum

Hi everyone. First thanks for the new Nam, it's a great news. :).

Anyway i do have some troubles with it as some items don't appear. By exemple the new avenue roundabouts with glr inside it. The glr part inside of it doesn't appear and i don't knwo why. The rail curves also disappeared and in the avenue and rail items, while using the TAB key i have some items that also don't appear ( so i can't see wich one exactly as i can't see them). An idea ?

Edit : I solved my problem. Everything is working well. Just love the Tram-on-road.

jgehrts

Quote from: z on January 22, 2009, 02:14:10 AM
Do the zots go away if you run the game for a while?

I set it on the fastest mode and let it go for a couple game years to no avail.  I'll give it another go, though, just to see if I need to wait longer.

To answer the later question about power lines... I'm using the no-power cheat.   ;D

rjaap

Hi there!

First of all, thank you all here for developing such excellent content! Thumbs way up!

Think I found a slight glitch. Searched for it but I couldn't find anything about it, so I thought I'll share it with you.

It happens when I draw an avenue intersection like in the picture.

When I try to draw a road parallel to the avenue over the top side the colour of the drawing tool changes into a brownish-yellow colour like those when you extend a rhw.

When the road is drawn a portion of the road is drawn with the wrong textures. It looks like they are avenue turning lane textures.
Moreover, when I try to extend that portion of the road again the brownish-yellow colour appears and the game seems to hang for 10 seconds or so.

Even stranger is the result: the road is extended but it is not visible! The invisible starts on the point where the wrong textures end.
Only when you try to draw another road onto that invisible portion or you delete that section the invisible road pieces appear. Only 1 tile at a time though, not the entire invisible section.

Maybe someone else has seen this to or can replicate this error?

Ps. I use the January 09 NAM, latest NAM essentials, RHW plugin, road and avenues turning lanes plugin

Tarkus

rjaap, thanks for pointing that out.  It appears there is some left-over coding from the NWM Alpha Build 00 that escaped being blocked out. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

rjaap

mrbisonm

It wasn't clear to me on the prevoius page , but will there something to be done with these darker railpatches in the futur of NAM, or do I have to return to the former NAM? Just wondering.....I know I can easily fix it with the SBFT railtexture mod, but I don't like the darker version, because it doesn't fit with 80% of my traffic enabled lots. Thanks for letting me know.

mrb

(yoohoo, still on vacation.....;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

deathtopumpkins

mrb, it looks like you have David's updated diagonal textures installed.

As for the SFBT mod not fitting in with your TE'd lots, that can't be true, because, if I'm not mistaken, the lot textures ARE the darkened ones, and just when the game applies them to the networks it doesn't darken them. Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, I believe that was the part of the reasoning behind the mod in the first place though.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Swamper77

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 23, 2009, 06:51:26 PM
mrb, it looks like you have David's updated diagonal textures installed.

As for the SFBT mod not fitting in with your TE'd lots, that can't be true, because, if I'm not mistaken, the lot textures ARE the darkened ones, and just when the game applies them to the networks it doesn't darken them. Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, I believe that was the part of the reasoning behind the mod in the first place though

Maxis brightened their textures for Zooms 1-4 for some reason or another (5 is the closest). The SFBT Mod makes the tracks have the same brightness regardless of zoom level. Also track textures made for lots or custom made ones all have the same brightness for all zoom levels, which the Maxis originals did not.

Also, David's updated textures were included with the recent NAM release.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!