• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bringing Back Karma

Started by Haljackey, September 19, 2012, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Rooker, I am not saying someone should get a point from 300+ people or per bat released, but that exceptional things should be rewarded, and that should include bats or MD entries that fit a narrow spec. 

I am trying to change the way I play the game by looking through various MD's on this site, and seeing various interchanges and stuff shown in threads.  There are some bats that may not be realistic, but they are simply great, and those users should get recognized.  I feel that people like the staff here, and even some team members should all be given a kharma point for the work that they have done, including yourself rooker, because I have been admin on other types of sites and know full well the issues that you guys on staff have to go through when it comes to keeping this place running smoothly, considering how some members are a tad impulsive and demand things ASAP, etc.  But in my case, I have no idea if say Catty can give Kharma to say you Rooker1, because some sites, its set up where that can only be given to same level or down(so Mods could give to other mods and members, but not Global mods or Admin), so who would I send a Kharma point recommendation to in order to give staff here a point?  Or would requesting such a thing be considered spamming?  Thats another thing I feel should be spelled out better as well. 

catty

Quote from: mike3775 on September 21, 2012, 02:34:36 PM
...I have no idea if say Catty can give Kharma to say you Rooker1...

You can't give karma points to yourself, but otherwise I can give out karma points to anyone on site, as to what criteria I use or reasons why I give out karma;

a. if I notice any request in any of the topics from someone asking to give someone else karma;
b. if someone uses the "Report to Moderator" button to ask for karma for someone;
c. if someone has helped someone else and its obvious they have put some time and/or effort into doing so;
d. if someone has done something or said something that I felt deserved a karma point;

and looking at the karma log I've only taken karma off someone once and that was for being rude to someone who was trying to help them with a problem they were having.

and yes we probably could do with handing out more karma points to people but equally we don't want to lose that here on SC4D its something special

Quote from: noahclem on September 20, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
...I don't want to sound negative, scared of change, or down on anybody's ideas. The integrity of the Karma system is something I do care about though--I remember the first time I got a K-point I was really pleasantly surprised. My little mushroom eating hedgehog got a bit of extra strut in his step, and I made my girlfriend and who knows how many other people that couldn't care less about SC4 listen to me tell all about it  :D  If some others feel like that than that's awesome and I hope they continue to be able to in the future.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

ivo_su

I have a curious question - how much negative karma points are obtainable at most, and is there a number that follows after the ban? Otherwise, I want to give a positive first accurate to a few people
Tarkus, Maarten (MandelSoft),Robin, vortext and Dexter - whom should I contact to make this fact?

Kergelen

Quote from: ivo_su on September 22, 2012, 02:28:52 AM
Otherwise, I want to give a positive first accurate to a few people
Tarkus, Maarten (MandelSoft),Robin, vortext and Dexter - whom should I contact to make this fact?

Send a PM to admins, global mods or others users who can give K-points with the reasons you think they deserve a K-point. ;)

Links to SC4 websites

ivo_su

Quote from: Kergelen on September 22, 2012, 03:23:45 AM

Send a PM to admins, global mods or others users who can give K-points with the reasons you think they deserve a K-point. ;)

Thanks for the information, but it seems to me too complex and hardly dealt me so much. Pity really deserved these guys.

art128

Quote from: ivo_su on September 22, 2012, 03:40:43 AM
Quote from: Kergelen on September 22, 2012, 03:23:45 AM

Thanks for the information, but it seems to me too complex and hardly dealt me so much. Pity really deserved these guys.

What's complexe in that?

You just send a PM to, lets say Rooker1 with the name of the guys you said, and the reason why each one deserve another K-point. It's not that hard.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mike3775

Quote from: catty on September 21, 2012, 07:23:27 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on September 21, 2012, 02:34:36 PM
...I have no idea if say Catty can give Kharma to say you Rooker1...

You can't give karma points to yourself, but otherwise I can give out karma points to anyone on site, as to what criteria I use or reasons why I give out karma;

a. if I notice any request in any of the topics from someone asking to give someone else karma;
b. if someone uses the "Report to Moderator" button to ask for karma for someone;
c. if someone has helped someone else and its obvious they have put some time and/or effort into doing so;
d. if someone has done something or said something that I felt deserved a karma point;

and looking at the karma log I've only taken karma off someone once and that was for being rude to someone who was trying to help them with a problem they were having.

and yes we probably could do with handing out more karma points to people but equally we don't want to lose that here on SC4D its something special

Quote from: noahclem on September 20, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
...I don't want to sound negative, scared of change, or down on anybody's ideas. The integrity of the Karma system is something I do care about though--I remember the first time I got a K-point I was really pleasantly surprised. My little mushroom eating hedgehog got a bit of extra strut in his step, and I made my girlfriend and who knows how many other people that couldn't care less about SC4 listen to me tell all about it  :D  If some others feel like that than that's awesome and I hope they continue to be able to in the future.

-catty

Thanks for that info.

catty

I have a curious question - how much negative karma points are obtainable at most, and is there a number that follows after the ban? Otherwise, I want to give a positive first accurate to a few people

Hi ivo_su

The negative karma points and people being banned are separate, its what you do or usually continue to do that gets you banned not how many negative karma points you have, as for your request to give karma points to the above people I do need a reason why you want them to have a positive karma point.

Cathy
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

art128

Quote from: catty on September 22, 2012, 12:13:53 PM

Hi ivo_su

The negative karma points and people being banned are separate, its what you do or usually continue to do that gets you banned not how many negative karma points you have, as for your request to give karma points to the above people I do need a reason why you want them to have a positive karma point.

Cathy

Cathy, Ivo_su PMed me for the K-points.

the reason given are:

The reasons are too long but overall assistance in working with networks have given my textures path numbers and so on.
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1444.2540 - vortext
Dexter with texture and alpha as sent in the PM
Robin helped me with finding Gary sea walls. Maarten and Alex have given me advice, path numbers, and the opportunity to test their products before they are released.

Props & Texture Catalog

catty

Quote from: art128 on September 22, 2012, 12:29:18 PM
...Cathy, Ivo_su PMed me for the K-points. ...

:thumbsup:

Thanks I'm sending you a PM

catty

ivo_su much as I'm sure that "Tarkus, Maarten (MandelSoft),Robin, vortext and Dexter" appreciate your request for giving them karma points, I don't think that issuing retroactive karma points is the way to go as it opens the door to requests from people going back to who knows when ...

so for me my list of criteria has to include that the request to give someone a karma point is being asked for at the same time that person is doing something karma worthier, which gives us a chance to judge for ourselves

-catty
Global Moderator

ivo_su

You see, I was right when I said it was too complicated and not worth the effort to reward someone who has helped you. Here God is my witness that I had good intentions and reasons for these 5 people, but ...
Anyway, the important thing is that they have my gratitude with or without karma points, but I guess they have already seen that I've done my best to give it to them. Ultimately, the approval procedure karma points is so complex that it is easier to become a Nobel laureate, than to have karma point. Otherwise, anyone know who the user with the most negative karma points and how they are (perhaps -10)?

Girafe

K point is good for the forum but something similar could clearly be done for the people who are feeding the LEX and are not awarded for hours of batting / hundred releases...

These people are contributing to our community and especially sc4devotion's community as much as people on the forum but in another way.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

catty

Quote from: Girafe on September 22, 2012, 04:52:37 PM
K point is good for the forum but something similar could clearly be done for the people who are feeding the LEX and are not awarded for hours of batting / hundred releases...

These people are contributing to our community and especially sc4devotion's community as much as people on the forum but in another way.

Hi Girafe

The admin staff have been having discussions re this and also on the LEX scrutineers, if you have any suggestions on how or what you would like to see happen in these two areas can you please PM me ... that goes for anyone else who has any suggestions re Girafe post.

thanks

-catty
Global Moderator

Haljackey

Quote from: catty on September 23, 2012, 11:36:56 AM

The admin staff have been having discussions re this and also on the LEX scrutineers, if you have any suggestions on how or what you would like to see happen in these two areas can you please PM me ... that goes for anyone else who has any suggestions re Girafe post.

Anyway you can bring the conversation here or at least give us important development from it? It may influence the discussion in this thread.

Girafe

There is different ways for awarding people on a forum. For time we have:

- karma point for the forum

- CMLs

- categories in relationship with posts counting (system which uses stages.)

The first is based on figures (+1 /-1), the second by an image and more personalized and the last one figures too, associated to stages.

IMHO, the last system could be the best for awarding LEX contributors.

I think we can easily integer in the member's profile, a line under karma point with a title like this:

"LEX contributor level" (something to work again my English is not so good).

Regarding the scale, I like the scale with "precious stones" as it's clearly recognisable and often used in forums

The main question is what figures to take in account for the scale.

There are 3 points according to me

- number of uploads (it's not the best system IMHO because it doesn't take in account the complexity of an upload)

- quality of upload (too subjective)

- number of downloads (I think this figure is the most representative and the less subjective).

We could set for example:

stage bronze = 10.000 uploads (for all releases of 1 author)

stage silver = 50.000 uploads

The chance we have with this system is that there are only 94 authors on the LEX and that the number of downloads by authors is quickly accessible.

Second question is how to deal with something like that.

Either we have a group who check every 2 weeks / 1 per month and actualises figures and upgrade member level. (it's a little bit long but could be done as we have few authors).

Or we let authors check themselves the data available on the LEX and ask an admin when a stage is reached for changing the level - less time consuming and something that could work fine.

The only difficult point, I have found with this system is the case of NAM members

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Quote from: Girafe on September 23, 2012, 02:10:01 PM

- number of downloads (I think this figure is the most representative and the less subjective).

I don't know. Maps often get less downloads than BATs and MODs but most of the time making a map requires a lot of work, maybe equal work to a good quality BAT.

Props & Texture Catalog

catty

Quote from: Haljackey on September 23, 2012, 02:06:17 PM
...Anyway you can bring the conversation here or at least give us important development from it? It may influence the discussion in this thread.

Its been more  :-\  things up in the air, so your ideas and suggestions are very welcome, we may not be able to do them or they may not be something that the site wants to do, but we will seriously contemplate any ideas anyone has, back when dedgren was still active, there had talk about giving subscribers their own private board its still up there for discuss.

Hi Girafe

I like your idea, but I'm not sure that with the current site software its something we can do and as art128 says a download count may not be be an accurate reflection of people's work, if you look at the snapshot you took of my profile

Quote from: Girafe on September 23, 2012, 02:10:01 PM

You can all see I belong to the LEX Scrutineer Group, I'm wondering and this is only my suggestion is if we had a LEX Uploader Group with an appropriate label, and that group had the same privileges, etc as a subscriber does ... how you would feel about that as an idea.

-catty

Girafe

I don't want to be rude about the maps on the LEX as it's not my aim and I respect the work of mappers (and admins know it as I spoke long time about this Pb especially with Barbyw)

but my position is, that LEX is flood by the maps, it makes shadow to the rest of the uploads above all when the 3 places at the entrance of the LEX are the most viewed thumbails and people often don't open older uploads.

Moreover, when I see that less than 50 people are downloading maps I am asking if they are their place on the LEX regarding their weight.

It's in this sense I went to a system of downloads. The most an upload is acclaimed, the most it should be awarded. Simple law of supply and demand.

About your idea Catty, it's a first step but to be honest authors are not interested in Subscriber privileges which are IMHO obsolete and "don't make dream". Moreover these people have already these privileges as they belong to teams or already subscribed to the site. 
The Floraler

threestooges

For just a quick response, since there has been plenty of discussion already and more to come on both the community and on a staff level. The one thing I'd like to add is that the karma system is meant for the unusual or above-and-beyond or particular recognition of a post. The primary drawback I see with a standard system or point recognition for downloads/uploads/etc is that, while significant effort goes into it, it's more or less why we're here. I don't think it should be automatic, but as has been said before, shoot one of the mods a PM for the short term.
-Matt