• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Question about SFBT street tree mod

Started by cefien, August 01, 2014, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cefien

Just a quick question. I'm just wondering, the mod is using CP's trees to appear on the sidewalk, can i somehow change the trees into another custom trees? Thanks in advance.

APSMS

If you use the reader, you can change the reference IIDs that the mod refers to from CP's trees to someone else's (say, Girafe's).

I haven't done this before, and as the file is a T21 file mod, I'm not sure how valid my answer is. I'm guessing the biggest problem will be that the trees will be out of place.

At the very least, you can use the framework of the mod to help yourself create your own T21s using your own layout. This is what I intend to do at some mythical time in the future (though I may not use SFBT's mod). You might be better off asking this in Simtropolis as I think the community is a little more responsive there...or grab ahold of a well-known lotter/modder for T21 files (like SimCoug or Vortext) and ask them what they think.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

cefien

First thank you for your reply. About posting in simtropolis, i've been there and asked about this a couple days ago, but no one seems to answer my question 'till now, so i decided to ask here. But, maybe i'll just try my luck again. Again thank you, at least you're trying to answer.

vortext

Can't recall exactly how the SFBT street mod is constructed but you'd need to change the RKT1 in the prop exemplars or otherwise change the prop instance in the T21 lot files. It'd be a hassle either way. Also, if you want to change them to seasonal trees than you're out of luck as that'd require (re)building an entire T21 mod from the ground up. Something still on my to-do-list. .  ::)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

cefien

Thank you for the reply, can you be a little bit more specific about changing the prop exemplars and stuff...?? Maybe an example or something like that,...well, i'm not a super expert in the reader so..  :-[

vortext

For example, go the Tree Props folder and open SFBT_CP_Street_Deciduous_Trees.dat in the Reader. Here you find the prop exemplars for CPs deciduous trees, obviously.

The Resource Key Type 1 property refers to the actual models of the trees, which themselves are located in CP vol1 and hence serves as a dependency.

So, you'd need to change the RKT1 in each prop exemplar to make it refer to a tree model of your liking instead.

Technically this is not too complicated to pull of. As APSMS already mentioned, I too think the biggest issue is to find suitable replacement trees which have more-or-less the same dimensions as the initial trees. 
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana