• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Palace of Westminster (lookalike)

Started by imoutofusernameideas, February 07, 2016, 02:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

There's not too many differences between the building now and 1900 as far as I know.

This is incredibly exciting! Perhaps on the cusp of a London/British BAT'ing revival :D
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

imoutofusernameideas

Quote from: mgb204 on February 15, 2016, 07:27:44 AM
One minute we're discussing bodging together whatever we can get our hands on, next you've two great batters interested in making the model  :bnn:

Seriously though, I know how much work modelling is, but this one vital missing link I'm sure will be very popular. I'd be happy with either the modern or 1900's version frankly, I'm sure either would still make a more realistic London city. I might have a go at making Westminster Bridge, this thread has had some exciting developments :D.

Years ago, JonM at simtropolis started the "urban bridges project", one of them looks very similar to Westminster bridge. http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/35720-urban-rivers-project/?page=2

I'm not sure whether he's still active though.

Also the guy who made all the Paris lots made a bridge similar to it. Could it be debussyman?

belfastsocrates

Quote from: imoutofusernameideas on February 15, 2016, 08:42:44 AM
One minute we're discussing bodging together whatever we can get our hands on, next you've two great batters interested in making the model  :bnn:

Seriously though, I know how much work modelling is, but this one vital missing link I'm sure will be very popular. I'd be happy with either the modern or 1900's version frankly, I'm sure either would still make a more realistic London city. I might have a go at making Westminster Bridge, this thread has had some exciting developments :D.

Years ago, JonM at simtropolis started the "urban bridges project", one of them looks very similar to Westminster bridge. http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/35720-urban-rivers-project/?page=2

I'm not sure whether he's still active though.

Also the guy who made all the Paris lots made a bridge similar to it. Could it be debussyman?

Terrible shame that project was never realised, gorgeous canal and bridge set :(

I think mgb is considering a bridge for in-game water rather than a canal set though. That's a much tougher project

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

imoutofusernameideas

I'm sorry, the "guy who made all the Paris lots" turns out to be SC4D's very own xannepan, who created the lovely Pont Notre Dame:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3005

mgb204

Quote from: belfastsocrates on February 15, 2016, 08:58:51 AM
I think mgb is considering a bridge for in-game water rather than a canal set though. That's a much tougher project

Not as hard as you might image, the coding and textures would likely be the hardest part of all. I've been working with some bridges of late, so I'm pretty happy I could make a go of it.

You wouldn't have to make the entire bridge, only one segment (arch), which would be I guess 2-3 tiles wide, then you can repeat them as needed for the length of the bridge. The lights would be tricky to model, but would look great. If we truly are to see a decent rendition of the house of parliament, then I would be motivated to see what else I can create, to place in in the right surroundings.

imoutofusernameideas

@mgb: I think it's quite needless to say but here goes: You have my everlasting respect for attempting this and if I could be any help, I'd be happy to.

bombardiere

I might have a go at making Westminster Bridge, this thread has had some exciting developments :D.

If you are doing the Westminster Bridge then I have to think about the Downing Street 10. That is almost a Georgian.  :D

I am not committed yet, as I have couple other things I want to do first, but possibly. I think I could get the dimensions and genereal outlook from Google Earth and 3D Warehouse SketchUp.

I have personal connection to The Big Ben and Westminister Bridge. I used to live in Camberwell and I work at Oxford Street, so every morning and evening I took the number 12 bus. Crossing the Bridge and gyrating around the Parliament Square. That was a Routemaster line until the end.   

mgb204

I never lived in London, but my Grandparents used to have a narrow boat, just north of the city. As a child my Uncle would take me to London, it was always an amazing experience. I've a connection to London spiritually, for one NAMCO's N-Station is just over Westminster bridge ;).

Tell the truth, I'm not looking to BAT my way through London. I've a lot of plans for Business/Retail/Industrial parks and some medium wealth Res/Com, since that's very lacking IMO. But, I do have a London region that's stalled because I needed to figure out some big questions, like what to do about the houses of parliament and Buckingham palace. I'd very much like to return to that, so inevitably with my meagre batting abilities, I am in a position to make at least some simple stuff to help make it feel right. I agree after the aforementioned models, the government quarter around Whitehall would be the next logical step, I was already thinking of the Cenotaph for example. Not to mention, having tried to squeeze Buckingham palace into the grid, I already had plans to custom-texture the roads/roundabouts surrounding the front of the palace opposite St James park (I mix the London parks up, I hope that's right).

But it's exciting to see how an innocent request has sparked a flurry of discussion/potential activity. I can certainly latch onto such things easily :).

belfastsocrates

I think grand scale projects are immensely impressive and if a creator takes on the challenge then I will rightly bow in awe.  Such landmarks are a wonderful achievement.

From a purely selfish position I agree with mgb. I want/desire British retail units, houses, commercial, monuments and industrial because those fill a city and we're desperately needing those. I'd love to have realistically sized lots for boring things like Marks & Spencer, Tesco, or retail parks.

I'm just being greedy and wanting grand monuments alongside the more boring common stuff

imoutofusernameideas

Quote from: mgb204 on February 16, 2016, 03:41:23 PM[...]Not to mention, having tried to squeeze Buckingham palace into the grid[...]

I know what you mean. Even though frogface has only made the front, the game's London map is very narrow, especially in between those two parks where the palace is situated.

One question though: Could it be that the palace is a residential landmark? In my game, it immediately becomes abandoned after plopping it.

@all: I agree with all the people who seem to love London so much. Personally I can't quite explain it, but I have always been fascinated by the City of Westminster, it's like the beating heart of Great Britain. I'm especially fond of the Palace of Westminster, as for some reason I find it to be extremely visually pleasing; I'm always completely awestruck when I see it. Probably has something to do with the architecture and how I find its proportions to be beyond perfect. Also I always love to see small pieces of history preserved in cities, which London does not do as much as most other European cities (unfortunately).

mgb204

Actually I use a custom map (nothing even remotely realistic), I meant the game grid. The angles of the roads and the roundabout are difficult to do well with the default tools. Custom textures aren't too hard for me, so if/when I get round to it, I'll make the Mall and probably the roads at the front of the palace (eye candy of course).

As for the palace, maybe it needs a road connection, power and water? If it has those and abandons, it's probably modded with jobs. I could easily make it a landmark if that was the case?

imoutofusernameideas

I'm not sure. I've placed some pedestrian tiles in front of it (so no direct road connection) and as you've said in my other thread the latest NAM does not require transitions, but just in case I had placed a bus stop. Water and power are both fine and the lot's description doesn't say why it's abandoned (as in: vacant due to lack of water).

EDIT: Has anyone seen this? http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Province_of_New_Rhodesia

reddonquixote

Well they certainly did an amazing job with it. I only got as far as the clock tower before I ran out of steam with it. Thanks for sharing Fantozzi.
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

bombardiere

This came totally out of nowhere. I have to confess that I have been thinking that what is the origin of this model. Yes, I know it is rude and this is a gift horse so I should be happy. But I keep thinking where are the Greeks  :P