• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pet and Animal Thread

Started by sonia, January 21, 2018, 11:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonia

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them. Are there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something that you love? Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

sonia

I will be traveling with my RV for a week with my dog, I'm thinking of buying a crate for her to make her safe during our travel and, so I tried searching and to I saw these dog crates online which I think is perfect for my dog. She will be safer and more relax inside the crate while traveling. But, still I want to know everyone's opinion about this product, what do you think about the crate for traveling?

twalsh102

Sonia,
As a general statement, I would say a crate would be a good thing while traveling.  I generally like the idea of the wire-frame crate as it doesn't restrict the animals vision like most plastic shell crates do, but it's really up to the animal.  Since the link you gave just goes to a page with a number of different types of cages by a number of manufacturers, it's not really possible to give any sort of opinions.  I would talk with customer service at the website, and verify which cages are safe for travel purposes.  It's possible there may be something in the construction of one model or another that makes them not recommended for travel purposes.

I do have a couple of questions:  Do you crate your dog at home, or will this be a new experience for her?  If she is not normally crated, it might be a good idea to start doing so in advance of your trip, and not just by a couple of days.  You don't want to find out halfway through your first day that she hates the crate, and is going to express her displeasure by whining or barking all through your trip.

Has your dog traveled with you before over long distances?  I can speak from experience that some animals just do not like to travel...period, while others just take it in stride as a new adventure.  Also, traveling from your house to the vet, or the dog park, or the pet store and back is one thing.  Being cooped up in a vehicle all day might be an entirely different experience for your dog.  If she hasn't previously traveled any long distances, you might want to try several semi-long test rides (an hour or more) with your dog to see how she handles it, and maybe just get her used to the idea.  If your dog is fearful of the crate or the traveling itself, that fear could manifest itself in very physical and very smelly ways.

Another thing to consider would be whether you foresee traveling with your animal by air at some point.  If so, it might make sense to just get an airline-approved travel crate from the start.

Whatever you decide, I hope you (and your dog) enjoy your trip.