• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Growables to ploppables

Started by evarburg, March 19, 2018, 10:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

I want to relot some (growable) Maxis RCI and make them ploppables, because using the lotplop cheat can be a hassle and I want to learn How To Do It. I am trying to follow the procedure outlined by Andreas' User's Guide but get stopped at the very first step : I cannot drag anything Maxis from the models window to the ploppable window. (doesn't happen with custom content models or blanks. I did create ploppables before.)

(a) what am I doing wrong ?

(b) can there something wrong with my PIM  ?

Andreas

My tutorial is intended for custom content, where you actually have SC4Model files with the building model. If you want to edit some Maxis content, it might be easier to pick some custom model that has a similar size as the Maxis model of your choice, and use it as "dummy" building for the transformation process. In the final step, you'd have to find out the ID of the desired Maxis building, and insert that one as model reference ID in the new ploppable lot (via the Reader).
Andreas

evarburg

Thank you. How do I find the desired ID ? In the L.E. ?

Andreas

IIRC, the Lot Editor shows the instance ID if you click on the grey rectangle in the building view. Or save the lot under a new name in your plugins folder, and open it with the Reader for exploration.
Andreas

evarburg

(There is still so much I don't understand.)

I relotted a MAXIS CS $$$ in the L.E. *CS$$$40x24_3NYLuxuryStore3)05E7)

It is a growable, I want to make it into a (functional) ploppable.

It works, I plopped it in-game, I examined it in the L.E. it is a legit custom SC4Lot with only one exemplar (the LotConfiguration on)

In order to make it into a ploppable, I am told to create a .desc via PIM. But my relot doesn't show up in PIM (or I am not able to find it).

It has a .desc, when I open it in PIM (a Building Exemplar -- yes?)

So -- I thought,  in my cluelessness -- if I drag that Maxis model in the relevant ploppable category...

But I cannot drag anything MAXIS. (1) Is it normal ? and (2) is it what I should do, anyway ?)

(don't mind the bldg in the pict I clicked on whatever)

I thought I had to

mgb204

You have to drag from the "Standard Models" section, having selected the model to use for the building. If you drag a building, that's illogical, since you can't make a buildings exemplar into a new buildings exemplar.

evarburg

Quote from: mgb204 on March 20, 2018, 09:27:26 AM
You have to drag from the "Standard Models" section, having selected the model to use for the building. If you drag a building, that's illogical, since you can't make a buildings exemplar into a new buildings exemplar.

I hear you. In the picture above, the Error window partly hides the right window but the files there are the Maxis CS $$$ models. Shouldn't I be able to drag them ?

And if they are not the right models, where do I find those in order to relot Maxis RCI ?

vortext

Quote from: evarburg on March 20, 2018, 12:27:06 PM
In the picture above, the Error window partly hides the right window but the files there are the Maxis CS $$$ models.

Aha, but the picture also shows you had selected the Building Descriptor files, underlined red in my edit below, which are NOT the actual model files. Instead those are found under Resources => Standard Models, underlined green and, in fact, partly hiding behind behind the error window.  :D

At any rate, when you select the standard models, it will list ALL the game models, so in order to find this particular building you want to look for the correct Resource Key, underlined in purple.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

evarburg

AH. O....K...  &ops

Went back at it, created a lot by dragging an appropriate model to the desired descriptor category  :). Have now a lot... and a LooseDesc.

I have with me the printed version of the PIM Readme open at the relevant page, stating that the LooseDesc must not be kept with the lot, and showing a list where there is the lot, its .SC4desc and its LooseDesc. In my plugins there is only the new .SC4lot and the LooseDesc. No SC4Desc.

Is it normal, Doctor(s) ?

vortext

Yes for ploppables the building descriptor is bundled with the lot file, hence the LooseDesc can be deleted. If you open the lot file in the Reader you'll find it contains the lot config, the building descriptor and the menu icon file.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

evarburg

I thought so but the Readme and its pic had me suddenly Doubting Everything  :) Thank you !