• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

G.O.G version and custom content compatibility

Started by buckbeach, February 04, 2021, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckbeach

Following advice for replying to dead or decaying topics, I am posting this as a new topic, although it may have been previously fully covered elsewhere. 

New NAM #39 procedures require including two additional files provided. Are these added as instructed is disc version?

Are there any incompatibility issues with any custom content known.  Examples: CAM, S.P.A.M (or other PEG items), tools etc.

Pease point me in the right directions if discussed elsewhere.

Buck

Tarkus

Yes, if you're referring to the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the 4GB Patch.  If you don't already have the JRE installed, you'll need that to be able to run the installer.    The 4GB Patch is required for users running on Windows, to allow the game to access more RAM, which it needs to do to run the default version of the NAM Controller (the file which contains all the code necessary for the NAM's network additions to run). 

The GOG version is fully-patched as far as all the patches EA/Maxis released--the EP1 Update 1 patch (Version 1.1.638) and the BAT Nightlight Patch (Version 1.1.640) are already in place (the GOG and Steam versions are actually both Version 1.1.641).  The GOG version also already has the shortcut parameters in place to prevent crashing on systems with multi-core CPUs.  The JRE and the 4GB Patch aren't SC4-specific things (the JRE is basically an interpreter to allow your system to read code written in the Java programming language, and the 4GB Patch can increase the memory access of any 32-bit application), so they're not included in any of the versions of the game on the market.

Note that the 4GB Patch is only going to work properly on systems with a 64-bit operating system, and with more than 4GB RAM.  If that's true of your system, then you should be able to follow the instructions to locate where your SimCity 4.exe file is located (the default for the GOG version is C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps), or alternatively, try out the batch file enclosed here, which CorinaMarie (Admin at Simtropolis) and I designed to take the guesswork out of the process.  Placing the file in there (SimCity4_4GB_Patch_V3.bat) in the same folder where you've unzipped the NAM installation file and running it will automatically find your .exe and patch it for you.

If you're on a 32-bit operating system, or under the RAM threshold, you'll need a smaller NAM Controller with a reduced feature set (usually, this means no/limited RHW, since it's the biggest component in the NAM by a long shot--you can either manually compile one with the Controller Compiler, or use the already-compiled "No RHW" RHD Controller that can be downloaded here).

Hope that helps!

-Alex

buckbeach

Thank you very much for your reply.  I decided to download the game to my PC as an alternative.  As things would have it the game runs without NAM but fails when I installed it even after I apply the Patch and JRE.  Back to the drawing board.

Again, thank you I'll try to search out the problem.
Buck

Tarkus

If the game's crashing post-NAM install, that's a sign that the 4GB Patch isn't in operation (either due to it not getting installed right--the #1 cause of recent NAM-related tech support issues--or due to having an OS/hardware that can't support it). 

I just noticed after getting back from work tonight and seeing my original post that I screwed up the BB Code for the link to the batch file to automatically apply the 4GB Patch to the correct spot.  I've fixed that--and for the sake of convenience, here it is again.

We are going to include that batch script (and a smaller NAM Controller option) in the NAM 40 package when it is released.  I can't give an official release date or timeline on that, though I can say that NAM 40 is already in internal testing, and has formally gone into a state of "feature freeze" (i.e. no new features can be added until release).

-Alex

Edit: This video from my colleague mgb204 might also help:

https://youtu.be/ROtulkSF2m4

buckbeach

That did it.  Somehow I had executed the 4GB Patch at an incorrect location and although I got the message that it was successful it was a false positive.  The video is excellent and got me to retrace my steps.

Thank you once again.