• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge Engineer Required (For Secret Prototype)

Started by jplumbley, September 25, 2007, 01:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

Hello,  I am in need of a Bridge Engineer who knows how to make a model and make it work.  I would like to do a prototype test for a bridge with multiple paths on it.

I know that Jeronij and Smoncrie attempted making a Dual-Network Bridge.  Well, using some of the latest technology (SAM and Draggable GLR) we should be able to make draggable Dual-Networks.  If we can drag Dual-Networks, then we should be able to drag a bridge with these Dual-Networks.

So, I need someone who can actually get their Bridge from Model to in-game model.  I can deal with the pathing issues beyond that.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Serkanner

That sounds mighty interesting Jason, and your way of reasoning might indeed be the answer to solving this issue.

Now I am NO modeller what so ever, but couldn't you "just" model a simple slab to see if the principle of your idea work? If it does then there are plenty of people how would fight to get the first dual bridge ready  ;D

RippleJet

(For Secret Prototype)  ::) ::) ::)

Knowing you I would sign on right away... but the only thing I could model would be a pink box... $%Grinno$%

jplumbley

Quote from: Serkanner on September 25, 2007, 01:55:43 PM
That sounds mighty interesting Jason, and your way of reasoning might indeed be the answer to solving this issue.

Now I am NO modeller what so ever, but couldn't you "just" model a simple slab to see if the principle of your idea work? If it does then there are plenty of people how would fight to get the first dual bridge ready  ;D

Well, I am a good user of AutoCAD... but I dont know the first thing of GMax and I dont have a copy of 3DSMax.  I presonally dont know how to do the LODs and converting from Rendered model to S3D.  This is why I ask for the help, because I truely cannot go from model to in-game.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

Jason, you can download the working version of the DD Tsing Ma bridge from the NAM test center. I am 100% sure the puzzle pieces are there, with the modified transit exemplars, and I am almost sure that the complete alpha version ( with exemplars, paths, models and T21's)  is there. I cant check that in this moment, but if you cant find everything, just let me know and I will search it and send it to you.

I think it would be better to start with something that works  ;D  ( It has not been released because manual modding is still necessary to avoid traffic congestion in the bridge, even with very low traffic, but who knows?, perhaps we do know enough now to find a solution to that as well  ::)  ;) )

.... now I realize that the TsingMa would not be exactly a Secret Prototype .... i hope you dont mind  :D :D

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jplumbley

Hey Jeroni, thanks for responding.  I hoped you would.  I would download your Tsing Bridge, butTarkus is already trying that.  I want a "fresh bridge" because the way you guys modded it if I am not mistaken, you guys used 2 TE Lots at either end of the Bridge to drag it.  Due to the TE Lots being at either end of the bridge, this may have some undesired effect and I want to make sure it is not an issue with the TE Lots.

Now, I am 95% sure it is possible to make draggable Dual-Networks with Starter Pieces.  I just havent, done the experiment yet, but theoretically it should work.  I would like to try a basic texture network in which the network texture is lets just say a Road with GLR in it.  This as a prototype would only need to be a flat surface with the texture imprinted on it.  Then the paths, would be easily made by adding a El-Rail path to the SC4Path files.  By using the draggable starter piece we remove the TE Lots and then we have a less complex experiment where the only thing we have changed is the SC4Path Files and the Transit Simulator to allow for Dual-Traffic.

We know, Dual-Traffic is possible.  MAXIS did this with Pedestrian and Road Traffics, so there should be no theoretical problem with adding a new traffic type to a specific network.  We also know that the SC4Path files can handle two types or more of traffic since Intersections between networks are possible for example having Rail and Road intersections gives you 2 traffic types.

So, if a bridge is dragged normally and one was rendered with a different type of texture instead of the base Road texture it should be as simple as dragging a normal bridge.... Theoretically.  The only thing different would be the SC4Paths and the Transit Simulator for that particular bridge.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

Quote from: jplumbley on September 25, 2007, 03:00:00 PM
Hey Jeroni, thanks for responding.  I hoped you would.  I would download your Tsing Bridge, butTarkus is already trying that.  I want a "fresh bridge" because the way you guys modded it if I am not mistaken, you guys used 2 TE Lots at either end of the Bridge to drag it.  Due to the TE Lots being at either end of the bridge, this may have some undesired effect and I want to make sure it is not an issue with the TE Lots.

Well, in fact Smoncrie created several puzzle pieces ( not TE lots) to allow the connection with railroad and GLR ( I think). You can have a look to them and also the the DD Bridge topic at ST to know exactly what was done, and what was left  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Tarkus

You're right, Jeroni.  I just tested the bridge again today, and there's a set of puzzle pieces that connect the two networks onto the bridge. I had played around with the Transit Simulator exemplar to see if I could get it to work properly, but to no avail.  (I had specified a speed for Heavy Rail on the Highway network.) It seems the bridge doesn't recognize the Rail traffic other than turning Red in the Traffic Data View--the Rail traffic count does not show up with the Transit Query, just the Car traffic.  It appears to be a false reading, however, as it isn't affecting commute times.  I think that part of it may have to do with the way the dual-network has to be built.  I think it's something worth looking into, most definitely.

-Alex

threestooges

If it's just a bridge model you want to use to test a glr-over-rail texture, I have a bridge that I've been tinkering with (nothing special, just trying to figure out the BAT and whatnot) that I would be happy to donate (if it's deemed to be up to snuff). The only thing is that I'm in law school, so time is usually short for me. If no one else volunteers for the project though, I would be happy to help. Good luck with the project.

willvette

I have a bridge that i once started but never finished, it was based off the Bering Strait Bridge.  It was a Double-Decker (road over rail) and compatible with NAM's Dual Networking Puzzle Pieces. PM me if you want the file. Be warned I stopped mid-way in the project, I imported it from sketch-up pro, and I've ran into many problems with it, so I gave up on it.
I use google sketchup to get my basic ideas "on paper" if you would, than I go into BAT.   PS: I'm new at this.

jplumbley

Sorry, guys due to the test done by Tarkus, we must rethink our strategy here and figure out what is wrong if we can ever figure it out.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

bigdope404

Out of pure curiosity, what was the problem with that you ran into?

Tropod

Quote from: Tarkus on September 25, 2007, 03:58:00 PM
...It seems the bridge doesn't recognize the Rail traffic other than turning Red in the Traffic Data View--the Rail traffic count does not show up with the Transit Query, just the Car traffic.  It appears to be a false reading, however, as it isn't affecting commute times.  I think that part of it may have to do with the way the dual-network has to be built.  I think it's something worth looking into, most definitely.

-Alex

Quite some time ago, I had a thorough examination of this (if it still exists, there's threads on ST of it). In a nutshell; one way or another, there are issues with trying to get 2 different path types onto the one network, regardless if the network is land-based or water-based. The dirtroad network was the most flexible in regards to this though, if I recall (less issues I think?). If one examines intersections & interchange items closely, you'll see that even these are affected, just not to the same degree (plus they are coded somewhat differently than bridges, so they don't have the same restrictions. The Interchange/Intersection RULs only allows 2 different path types as the networks can be defined for the tiles, unlike bridges). The only reason why Pedestrian path types will work on any network, is because I imagine Maxis implemented it that way; why they didn't do the same for the rest of them I don't know (probably time constraints).