• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The new airports..

Started by HandsOn, June 12, 2008, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsOn

..are quite fantastic, I must say. Jolly good work, chaps.  &apls

Just a few minor issues, if I might be so bold: the coppers wooden fence seems a tad out of place. As is the fact that they need road access when they could speed across the tarmac - since they are airport security.

Another item is that today's airfields are all jolly secured; thus might we expect some high-tech fences for them, that match the texture of the tarmac? Finally, I was a tad surprised that none of the terminals contained a subway station, taxi stand, or at least a bus-stop. I know there's plenty in the game, but a direct line would makes so much more sense, don't you agree?

Edit: ..and I forgot: would it be possible to create, in future, a landing strip piece that would have centre lights for, say twelve, instead of twenty-four tiles? For smaller airports, you see.. "$Deal"$

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

Voltaire

Thanks, but... I think you're looking at SWAP's Lot collection. Those are old news -- most of the SWAP (except muzzy's terminals) is directly from Joerg RH Airport Pack. All of it has been or will be replaced.

The functional components are in the works now. The prefabs are functional. We want to build new air cargo, as part of the new functional seaports series. Assigning passenger capacity to re-lotted ACB sections (among other things) will follow.

The old RH/SWAP airside components have been entirely replaced by RMIP (available at ST, along with ACB jets/terminals). Chainlink fence was in RMIP Vol. 2 -- most airfields aren't protected by more than that. No new police station, although Ripptide did make a very nice airport fire dept. We're changing the prefab's crime stats, so that on-site police are unnecessary. The prefabs may have TE and/or transit switching, not sure yet. Custom pathing is a possibility in later developments but for now I'm keeping it simple.

Those blinkers that run along the ground.... I feel your pain but we're powerless to change them as Maxis did not release a program for animations. BAT/gmax can only make non-moving props. If a way is found to make animations, that blinker will be high in my list of to-dos, because there are several applications I could find for a shortened one.

______   F  L  Y    A  C    J  E  T  S   ______
The finest SimCity Aviation LOTs BATs and MODs

HandsOn

&apls Great stuff you're listing there. Yet something is confusing: yes, I am indeed looking at SWAp, but got it all on the LEX; and just today the AC team released "Functional Airports" - are those the ones you are refering to? Because as admirable as Joerg's work is, what I've seen on the STEX seemed all destine for mega cities. One of the terminals alone would probably take up half a city of mine.

There's also something else I've seen, but cannot remember where: a road going right through a terminal. I doubt that it was functional since I guess the pasthing is improbable, but it look great; sort of underground parking as most modern aerodromes would have nowadays.

As for the fencing: try any major US airport these days: they tend to look like a war zone. And Heathrow resembles something out of Blade Runner, the throw-away cut..  :P

But that's ok, I found some usable fencing. The lights have simply been bulldozed, my turboprops don't do night flights anyway..

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on June 15, 2008, 04:58:35 PM
&apls Great stuff you're listing there. Yet something is confusing: yes, I am indeed looking at SWAp, but got it all on the LEX; and just today the AC team released "Functional Airports" - are those the ones you are refering to? Because as admirable as Joerg's work is, what I've seen on the STEX seemed all destine for mega cities. One of the terminals alone would probably take up half a city of mine.

Yes, they are all terminals that were made by Joerg and Thalassicus, and later merged into SWAP.
For backwards compatibility reasons they need to be supported in all future versions of AC Functional Airports as well.
Those who do not want these original creations, can simply remove the single Enabler for them.

Quote from: HandsOn on June 15, 2008, 04:58:35 PM
There's also something else I've seen, but cannot remember where: a road going right through a terminal. I doubt that it was functional since I guess the pasthing is improbable, but it look great; sort of underground parking as most modern aerodromes would have nowadays.

That is SimGoober's Heliport, which also isn't brand new.
However, it was withdrawn from distribution long ago due to CTD issues.

Now, it is included, fully functional, and upgradeable in six stages. :thumbsup: