• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Too many flights are being cancelled..

Started by HandsOn, May 23, 2008, 04:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsOn

Darn: I feel like everyone of my bigger cities has a case of "Heathrow"! I am not sure if there is a problem, and even less sure that there might be a solution: but I recently noticed that as cities approach the 100,000 mark, airports are going down the tube fast. Ok, so you upgrade ot build another one - but that's not it: what vexes & puzzles me is that dilapidation sets in when the airport is at about 75% of capacity and the "manager" always seems to wait until about 95% capacity is reached before calling for an upgrade.

Thus: is there any form of intervention a mayor can take to force an airport to upgrade? Or is the simulator at fault?

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 23, 2008, 04:01:24 PM
Thus: is there any form of intervention a mayor can take to force an airport to upgrade? Or is the simulator at fault?

Those are pretty exact and correct numbers! :thumbsup:

There is a propery in every airport's developer exemplar telling that it will start looking dilapidated when the capacity exceeds 75%.
However, the airport won't upgrade (neither automatically nor by getting the question) until the capacity has reached 95%, and that figure cannot be changed.

The dilapidation threshold can be changed though, and I would suggest doing so in this thread:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4662.0

Since those airports are still not public, we would appreciate suggestions and requests in reference to them... ::)

HandsOn

Quote from: RippleJet on May 23, 2008, 04:16:14 PM
Those are pretty exact and correct numbers! :thumbsup:

There is a propery in every airport's developer exemplar telling that it will start looking dilapidated when the capacity exceeds 75%.
However, the airport won't upgrade (neither automatically nor by getting the question) until the capacity has reached 95%, and that figure cannot be changed.

The dilapidation threshold can be changed though, and I would suggest doing so in this thread:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4662.0

Since those airports are still not public, we would appreciate suggestions and requests in reference to them... ::)
I'm learning to be accurate with you, RJ.  ::)
I noticed that there are some other airports out there, Edit: but I don't believe any of them are actually functional, are they (I mean without the nefarious "airport tram"). Edit 2: I'll be downloading the stuff in your link as soon as the ink is dry in this message..  I should have read before I clicked..nothing to download yet  :'(

And while we're discussing the figures you love and cherish: I noticed an oddity with the simulator: Comparing a given city's population with its workforce (where are no commutes involved, or commuter figures are negligible) and I found - consistently - that nearly 80% of the population is at work. That's worse than even NYC stats! Is SC4 including child labour? Or are there simply too many singles?  $%Grinno$%

Edit 3: WHAT is SWAP??? And where is it.??

Edit 4 (final!!!): The thred you quote is about up and coming development - I could not find anything about changing the threshold in it..  ()what()

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 23, 2008, 04:30:32 PM
And while we're discussing the figures you love and cherish: I noticed an oddity with the simulator: Comparing a given city's population with its workforce (where are no commutes involved, or commuter figures are negligible) and I found - consistently - that nearly 80% of the population is at work. That's worse than even NYC stats! Is SC4 including child labour? Or are there simply too many singles?  $%Grinno$%

It shouldn't be as high as 80%... it should be between 40% and 60%.
In the Residential Simulator there's a property called Life Expectancy to Workforce % Curve:

Life Expectancy 50 years -> 40% Workforce
  Life Expectancy 100 years -> 60% Workforce

Between those values it's a straight interpolation.

The Life Expectancy is again set by the property Health Quotient to Life Expectancy Curve:

HQ 000 -> Life Expectancy 50 years
  HQ 200 -> Life Expectancy 100 years

Once again, a straight interpolation between those values.

Edit 3: WHAT is SWAP??? And where is it.??

SimWings Airport Pack, version 2.3 available on the STEX (when they come online again).

Edit 4 (final!!!): The thred you quote is about up and coming development - I could not find anything about changing the threshold in it..  ()what()

I've just noticed that myself...
and have asked the admins to allow others than just admins and mods to post in there... $%Grinno$%

HandsOn

LE in my cities fits your HQ200. I'll finish with the figures tomorrow (got a website to update), and then post the spreadsheet here somewhere - probably in CAM.

And yeah - ST seems to be dying - that's the third time in eight days..but I do wonder: I "see" Swamper77 around here all the time, full of good avice, so how come something as important as that isn't on the LEX???

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 23, 2008, 05:10:13 PM
I "see" Swamper77 around here all the time, full of good avice, so how come something as important as that isn't on the LEX???

That is the reason AC Functional Airports is being made... it is the next installment of SWAP. :thumbsup:

All members of SWAP are today members of the Airport Consortium.
And Swamper77 is a member of the AC Team as well! :)

HandsOn

Quote from: RippleJet on May 23, 2008, 05:14:23 PM
That is the reason AC Functional Airports is being made... it is the next installment of SWAP. :thumbsup:

All members of SWAP are today members of the Airport Consortium.
And Swamper77 is a member of the AC Team as well! :)
Ah, sodeska! Which of course means we can all enjoy the fruit of the team's tireless labours come Monday, right..?  :thumbsup:

RippleJet

Quote from: HandsOn on May 23, 2008, 05:18:55 PM
Ah, sodeska! Which of course means we can all enjoy the fruit of the team's tireless labours come Monday, right..?  :thumbsup:

Hai, soo desu! ::)
Monday sounds good... but I didn't say which Monday :P

HandsOn

Quote from: RippleJet on May 23, 2008, 05:22:24 PM
Hai, soo desu! ::)
Monday sounds good... but I didn't say which Monday :P
Arigato, Tage-san. And thus I shall be gazing out of my Windows OS every Monday, expecting my airship to come in..

Edit: Got SWAP, no cleantiol file, therefore made my own, herewith attached: