• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rob's ghetto!!!

Started by tragicomicus1, October 27, 2008, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tragicomicus1

Lee-I know how to export as a 3ds. I guess I should have been more specific. I can't figure out how to do nitelites and export as a sc4model file. I've read SImFox's tutorial but something is awry in my BAT4MAX installation. I can preview. Is there a way to keep my textures if I just go export as a 3ds and import into gmax? I understand that there will be no bump maps in gmax and you won't see them in game anyway but I hate the fact that when I import something into gmax the textures are gone  >:( 
Any help is appreciated
-Rob

callagrafx

The .3ds format only supports 8 character filenames (a throwback to the old DOS days).....try renaming texture files with 8 characters (plus extension) and save them in a specific location (again, 8 characters with no spaces, such as c:\textures).  Use these textures and then export.  Hopefully GMAX should retain the textures.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

tragicomicus1

wouanagaine

8 MAXIMUM ( excluding the extension which should be 3 MAX )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

callagrafx

yep, something like brick.jpg or redbrick.jpg
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

tragicomicus1

So not to sound like a total noob but would it be easier to create sub-folders in your textures folder to keep maps for specific scenes i.e. Sceneassets/Images/Lakehouse  ? makes sense to me I think.
-Rob

wouanagaine

YEs, but sceneassets is too long :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

squidi

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on December 05, 2008, 12:05:49 AM
So not to sound like a total noob but would it be easier to create sub-folders in your textures folder to keep maps for specific scenes i.e. Sceneassets/Images/Lakehouse  ? makes sense to me I think.
-Rob

i think if it makes sense or not is only your decision. depends on what is easier to handle for you.
i for my self have also subfolder in the scenes. i can find quicker the texture i want to change or to add in the scene if i dont have to put it out of a long list.

another thing:
what exactly is your problem with bat4max? is it just expoting the nightscene or also the day render?
maybe someone can help you with that what in my opinion would be a better solution than exporting it to gmax.

paul

tragicomicus1

Hey Paul,
Thanks for getting back with me. Uh, I haven't attempted a day render yet. I tried doing the part of the tutorial about saving your scene, then starting a new scene and merging your original geometry. Then light it. After that I am not sure what to do. But before you reply with a long set of instructions let me go bace through the tutorial and make sure I didn't miss something simple.
Thanks
-Rob

squidi

feel free to ask if you will get any problems with it.
it took me some time too to get everything to work well but i finaly got it :thumbsup:

tragicomicus1

Hey Squiddi,
Thanks for the help. Still kinda struggling with it but it's not a big deal. I am just basically practicing at this point. I have been reading tutorials on modeling and texturing. I want to get better at that aspect of MAX before I start trying to get anything "in-game". I think I have more fun playing around with 3dsMax than I do playing sc4. It's just incredible the things you can do.
I started playing around with a little water treatment plant just to see what I could do with some water textures using raytraced reflections. I think the water textures turned out pretty cool looking. I also used SimFox's technique from his modeling tutorial (connect, chamfer, bridge etc..) to make the openings for the windows and doors.

If you haven't read his tutorial I highly recommend it. I think in most cases it's a better method than extruding splines or using booleans (No offense Lee... :)  ). I have basically had to relearn the way I do things in BAT/MAX but it is for the better. Someday soon some of these projects might see the light of day.

Til next time
Rob
(still technically an NDEX'er)

RippleJet

Quite obvious where the clean water is! I like those textures and reflections. :thumbsup:

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on December 21, 2008, 01:07:27 AM
I think I have more fun playing around with 3dsMax than I do playing sc4.

Why does that sound familiar? ::)
Replace 3dsMax with iLive's Reader, and that's me... :D

tragicomicus1

Here's a little progress on the water treatment plant....

I scrapped the building. Didn't like it. I may build another one or maybe I'll use someting from Jess or GC as a prop.