• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Missing in Action!

Started by dedgren, March 07, 2007, 12:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Sim City 4 Devotion is not just a typical Sim City Community where you can get lost and be forgotten!!! The staff and the members here do care about each other and we are a family... We welcome everyone with open arms here... When someone is sick we a get behind them to support that member till they are better... When a member goes missing we get worried about them and hope that RL is not hitting that member to hard...

This list is by far not to keep track but a hey we miss you and hope you come back!!! If you know of the status of a member on the list let us know or a member that hasn't been seeing either let us know so that way we can account for them... Thanks all for being apart of this wonderful community that we can call home!!!

Here is the table in action so far..

Patrick

[tabular]
[row] [head]Name:[/head] [head]Date MIA:[/head] [head]Gone not Forgotten:[/head] [head]Returned:[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]Grneyes[/data] [data]3/07[/data] [data]Sept 09[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]rw0381c[/data] [data]3/07[/data] [data]Sept 09[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]your_adress_here[/data] [data]3/07[/data] [data]Sept 09[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]KooriSim123[/data] [data]3/07[/data] [data]Sept 09[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Naryanna[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]6/1/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Alek King of SC4[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Heinz[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Pinchman[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Asahi[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Archangel[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Enzo[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]8/19/07[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]--[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]--[/data] [data]--[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

FYI i did save the original post for historical sake - pat
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Diggis

Just on Koorisim, he has been AWOL since christmas.  He was an very active member at Pegs too and hasn't been seen there either.  I've got his email address but have had no replies and he doesn't appear to be on line.

Wynney mate, if you see this, please say Hi so we know you are OK.

vab423

Well, David, I could tell you about a couple of 'em, but since they went into the Witness Protection program, I'd have to uh, well, you know...   :P

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

thundercrack83

This is an interesting idea, David. It's this type of camaraderie that makes SC4D so special. So, if you guys are out there, give us a holler and let us know everything's OK!

dedgren

First update, and I'm glad to announce that, at about 10 'til midnight (GMT) today, March 8th, rheal (rw0381c) was spotted lurking.  Great to see a good friend back!

So, our list now looks like this, with one addition:

March 8, 2007

Bluebeard
Grneyes
your_adress_here
KooriSim123

We're leaving that porch light on.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Diggis

Just so you don't add me to your list, I will be AWOL for a couple of months probably, but hope to return.  If I'm not back by june send out the search party.  :P

Fred_Ginger

Diggis, we'll search high and low, nary a bar/pub nor rugby field, nor (did I say bar/pub yet?) will go unvisited!
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

dedgren

Now that sounds mysterious, Diggis.

Several months... ...hope to return... ...somewhere with no internet...

Ahhhh- that last one did it for me!  You're going to my dad's house.

A tip (might keep you alive, my friend)...

...check the "use by" dates on anything perishable in the fridge before consuming.  Dad's been known to keep stuff, shall we say, a bit past its prime.

Hey, try to keep us posted, in any event.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

callagrafx

Quote from: Fred_Ginger on March 09, 2007, 03:05:48 PM
Diggis, we'll search high and low, nary a bar/pub nor rugby field, nor (did I say bar/pub yet?) will go unvisited!

Vicki, I believe he's going to end up here to the UK, so the chances are quite high that he'll be in a pub, probably working behind the bar  :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

Hopefully not Lee.   $%Grinno$%

I'm looking to pick up a job as a landscape architect somewhere so if you here of anyone looking for one let me know.  Hopefully by the time i get to the UK I'll be back here, it's the time in Chch with the tin cans and string for internet thats thie issue.

thundercrack83

Sorry to hear you won't be around for a while, Diggis. Good luck finding a job, though!

Cali

yes diggis, best of luck. :thumbsup:
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Gaston

David this is an excellent idea.   Glad to see any missing member will be ... ummm... missed.

%confuso

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

NikNik

Have any one of them made it to this list yet?

LOL. Nice thread as Gaston put it so nicely: It is nice to see that missing members will be missed.

Nik-Nik

Fred_Ginger

Is Bluebeard AKA Blackbeard?
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

callagrafx

That's him....I'd say he's alive, well and kicking quite hard...You'll never drag that ole pirate away.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

LordTarren

While this does indeed sound like a nice gesture to know that all members are welcome and important here, I'm afraid I must speak up against such an idea in the long term. 

SC4D has very few members right now, and as such appears to be a very close-knit community.  The problems I see with the concept of a list of awol members is how far do we take it?  Keeping tabs on 1000 members can be challenging enough, but what happens with it reaches 2000?  5000?  More?  The higher the member count the less cohesive any place will eventually become, and such a task as this would become downright daunting.

Not only that, it is my humble opinion that this fosters, to me, a sense of "parenting".  Ever member beyond a certain post count that becomes inactive will be documented, looked for, and requested to return with a new post.  What right does anyone have to request anything of any other member besides that which is in the rules?  If I wish to lurk for several months, or even disappear entirely for a while, I shall, and not wish to be listed as "awol".  Each member has their own life outside SC4, and this should be respected. 

I understand that the intent is good-natured, and meant to foster a close community, and I commend you for your efforts.  I simply believe that your idea of good-will is perhaps misplaced in this instance, and unsustainable over the long run with several thousand members to contend with.  We are not here to be watched over and tracked,  but treated as adults in an internet community, free to come and go as we see fit.

Perhaps an alternative method would be like what is done on ST, I believe they have a "leaving/returning" thread that members voluntarily post in at their discretion if they happen to be leaving the site for a long while.  I do believe that leaving this task up to the members themselves, instead of someone else tracking them, would be better in the long run.

/end rant

(I hope I don't offend anyone by mentioning ST, if so, I apologize)

An evil person may have the strengh of one hundred warriors, but possess the spirit of none.  And this is why he will fail.

vab423

Yes, a lot of us are hiding from the law so it's to be expected we'll disappear from time to time, without a word. 

Oh wait, maybe that's just me.   ;)

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

dedgren

No, Lord_T- not taken as a rant at all.  A well thought-through post, IMHO.  I think I disagree with you about a couple of things, though.  I'm going to think about what you've said while I'm out with my sweetie this evening, and I'll return to this space in a few hours.

RL ALERT!:  (3-11-07 1:25 p.m. AST GMT-9)  ...sometime today.  Things have come up, but I haven't forgotten.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

LordTarren: You raise a very interesting point, but like you said, I believe that this idea was conceived as a gesture of friendship in the community, not as an exercise of control or anything like that. The way I look at it is that if a regular contributing member of the community suddenly disappeared without any kind of notice, a lot of people around here would wonder where they were and even worry about them and hope they are safe. In my opinion, this thread serves more as a "we're thinking about you" thread than a "you'd better check in" thread. Just my opinion, please don't think that I'm attacking you or anything like that.