• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Construction Layer Protoype - Progress Update

Started by tomkeus, March 28, 2010, 04:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mali

It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved what you're not!

tomkeus

OK. I'm back in business. I got net installed last Wednesday after more than three weeks of waiting but my laptop died the very same day so I had to get new one this weekend. I hope I'll be able to show you some new results soon.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

DanniBee

tomkeus

Hello guys. Reporting again. I'm coding on the weekends only now. I'm rewriting a lot of code to accommodate use of the numpy and scipy packages to simplify code. Too bad I haven't thought of this before. They will also come extremely handy for simulation part.

I also got one idea, I would like to expose here. One problem with 3D city simulators is that you cannot align buildings to each other as they are in densely built parts of the cities so for example, you cannot have row house quarters. I have a way which can be used to procedurally generate such areas. As I have already told many times, transportation network is drawn by sweeping a profile curve along a path curve. Similar approach can be used to generate, for example, row houses: smaller path curve, parallel to zone edges is inscribed into the zone, and then, appropriate profile is swept along in order to generate building meshes. Algorithm can be relatively simply enhanced to use a pack of profiles to obtain a row of different buildings.

Ocram

That is a really nifty idea to procedurally generate your buildings. The idea has been casually tossed around by many people who do not know very much about it (and have tried free trials of those big urban simulator engines). I would be very glad to know that an open source (this used to be called open source s*mc*ty, right?) city simulator would do any sort of procedural generation of buildings (procedural generation of plazas has been done by consumer games and procedural "fetching" of buildings has been done by a game I would rather not mention but have admitted to purchasing and playing...).
If you always do YOUR best you will always be better than the best.

Can't think of anything better for a sig.

tomkeus

Heh, those damned intersection are really pain in the a$$  $%#Ninj2

I'm still wrestling with some bug I got while I was still in Serbia in June. Damned thing just won't go.

I may be forced to completely rewrite intersection mesh generator. I don't like that idea, since I have managed to have procedural generation of intersection meshes which is at the same time highly customizable (for example cloverleaf interchanges can be created in game to any shape and size, they don't have to be plopped; user builds every piece of the interchange like it is a regular road; ramps are for example just elevated one way roads). I think no one got this kind of flexibility before, and I really wouldn't like to give up any of it.

townscape

good luck with your bug! And I really like the direction that the intersections are going :)
on the topic of aligning buildings: would it be possible to place buildings as I suggested in this thread? or is it unproductive?

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

tomkeus

Well, your gif in the first post is a very good representation of how the zone subdivision algorithm works. As for the building placement, I currently cannot see why buildings should be placed only on the center of the lot, that is, I see no reason, why not to allow having buildings placed closer or further down from the street.

townscape

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

Nique

We need to add a CSG method underneath the road when it cuts through the surface of the terrain. (the terrain needs to be adjusted when you want to make a slope). Is this something you can do Tomkeus?

CSG = Constructive solid geometry

You know what i mean?
Proudly developer of