• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR-in-Avenue query

Started by Ikarius, December 02, 2008, 09:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikarius

Hi folks.  I recently took up simcity 4 again after a long absence, and quickly discovered NAM- and man, does it rock!

I am highly enamoured with the concept (not quite so much the implementation) of GLR-in-avenues.  I also like roundabouts as major city center hubs, but there is a big dearth of options for roundabouts with GLR-in-avenues.

Is there any chance of seeing more GLR-in-avenue roundabouts with different connection configurations like we have in the GLR intersection puzzle pieces?

Cheers
   Ikarius

Jonathan

Hi Ikarius,

Welcome to SC4D, and I'm glad you like the NAM,
Is this what your looking for? Currently it isn't released but if everything goes to plan it should be in the next NAM.

Jonathan

Ikarius

Hell yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for!  &apls

Is there a way I could get a pre-release of it, or do you have any guesstimate of when we might it go to release?   Also, one more that I don't see in there which could be useful (it could be done with the 4-way tram-ave roundabout, but less elegant to my taste) would be a dual-corner tram roundabout; two of the 90 degree tram track turns in a single roundabout.

Cheers
   Ikarius

Jonathan

You won't be able to get a pre-release copy of it, sorry but it would add complications to the true release and also there would be conflicts and problems with the game.

I personally would say somewhere before the end of the 1st half of 2009 at the latest. This is not an official date though, but the NAM has a kind of slogan "It will be released when it's released" and not even we (NAM Team) know when the release date will be.

So just sit tight, look for development and try find work arounds in game. :)

Jonathan

Ikarius

Boo, hiss!  ;)

Patience isn't my strongest suit, but it doesn't sound like I have much of a choice in the matter  :P

I'm extending this to ask about the viability of my evil plan for city transit.  I'm working on a large city on a large map.

I'm looking at bussing in from the exurbs, to GLR from the suburbs into the main city, using GLR-in-avenue for the main city arteries, using the in-avenue GLR stations, with maxis bus-stops near the in-avenue GLR stations, and RTMT bus stops on the city streets (i.e. off of the main avenues near destinations). 

I've read some of the discussions about TE entry-point costs, station capacities, compute-time, pathfinding, etc, and I'm wondering if this strategy is remotely feasible, or if it will a) completely die due to pathfinding limitations, or b) crush my computer with pathfinding calculations.

Any guesses about the feasibility?  I'm running a reasonable rig, 2.4ghz core-2 duo with plenty of memory.

Cheers
   Ikarius

choco

i can run like that with a 1.4Ghz Celeron M....doesn't lag too bad.  you should be fine. 

sounds like you read the thread on TE lots, just so you understand the problems with the simulator that may arise.