• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAMming it up

Started by rivit, June 08, 2010, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivit

Hi all,

For my first ever post, I'd like to introduce my most recent project that of three potential SAM sets based on my old Tarsealed Roads from 2005.

Recently ShultzCity here at Sim Devotion asked me if he could have the source files for my Tarsealed roads (2005) to make up a SAM (Street Addon Mod) set. He also had various suggestions for improvements and as I had been intending for some time to update the set for diagonal streets I agreed to work with him on this.

After working out mechanics, we started building the set but, about two weeks in, we independently found that we were ruining the essential attractions of the original set. So I started again using my original streets and Shultzies road markings. This time I produced the whole set in one go in a week using Photoshop and GoFSH.

Well, actually I produced TWO sets as it quickly became obvious that our design goals could not be met with one set. So there are now two SAM sets - one for Rural settings (no kerbs) and one for Urban Settings (kerbed).

Along the way I also had one of those "Rush of Blood to the Head" incidents where I suddenly decided to make a set of textures for when the Tarseal runs out i.e. gravel roads. These are loosely (sorry) based on NZ gravel roads    - the ultimate experince for a driver. So all up there are three sets.   

Of course it needs to be tested - so I made a quick city to enable me to test the sets - I've overridden SAM2, 4 and 5 in this pic.   

This was made using SC4 + NAM + SAM + a number of other mods - but really just to test streets.

Here all wealth levels are shown in an urban setting.

A slightly upper class area - the kerbs are concrete.

A town in the sticks - no kerbs for both of these sets.

Did someone say tram-tracks? - cars eventually do wear tracks by redistributing the gravel

All three in close proximity at this dingy corner of town

All three at this scenic rural location in simland

All three sets are in an advanced state of preparation - mostly I am now fixing alphas and other optical glitches - and there are a lot in the Urban set to fix. The plan is to release these with a new SAM release if there is enough interest in them, and they make the grade...

Diggis

Hey Rivit, good to see these in action.  Was excited to hear from you originally.  They look great.  My only comment, and this is  personal view, is the tracks in the gravel road are very pronounced. I know you're a long way through, and it's probably too late to change them, but I would suggest making them blend a bit more with the gravel beside them.

I've sent you a PM regarding the SAM.  :thumbsup: