• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Marrast Embankment Set... Revisited!

Started by cogeo, September 07, 2010, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogeo

Hi all,

I have just tried Marrast Embankment Set (yes, after so many years), and while it looks really great, I have found some (few) problems and inconsistencies:
- Maintenance cost is not booked in the budget (in other words they are effectively maintenance-FREE).
- Inconsistencies between maintenance cost, lot sizes, park/landmark effect and amenities provided (those two last ones are all the same).
- Hard to read and confusing menu descriptions.

Therefore I have decided to make a modded version, for personal use. The new version will have:
- Simplified and improved menu description.
- Repackaged and reorganized exemplars; now they are grouped into a set of cohorts, with many common properties moved there. This makes maintenance and changes much easier.
- More balanced and consistent park/landmark effect and amenities.
- Fixed budget items. This unfortunately requires changing the building types from seaport to park. I guess this was done to avoid putting the buttons into the crowded Park Menu, but it causes problems. There is some workaround to this, which is make an MML (or DAMN) set. I know, many players don't like MMLs, not only because of the game-month they have to wait for the buttons to become available, but basically because the lots become temporarily unavailable after plopping (requires clicking the button again) so it's not very convenient for plopping lots massively. However, the player can remove the MML completely for plopping the lots (instead of using the construction lot) and install it back again after construction is done (to hide the lots again and thus shorten the Parks Menu). This in turn requires exiting the game and restarting, but I think this should be done anyway, as making a backup copy of the region is needed, for otherwise constructing the waterfront could prove a VERY costly operation. Even if some prefer the old position (in the Seaports Menu), it is now very easy to change things massively (for all lots), as the properties in question have been moved into the cohorts.

I think someone should contact Marrast and ask him if he agrees to release this modded version. Otherwise I could share it with members interested, but privately (there won't be a "release").

I would also welcome suggestions or wishes.

rooker1

I believe that BSC already has permission to host his works on the LEX and modify them if needed, but Barby or Tage would know more.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

Quote from: rooker1 on September 07, 2010, 11:54:38 AM
I believe that BSC already has permission to host his works on the LEX and modify them if needed
Robin

Quite so! :)
Cogeo, I'd recommend that you upload the modded embankments to our private exchange first.
From there it's easy for our scrutineers to have a look at them, and also for Barby or me to update the upload on the LEX.