• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Calidores

Started by 11241036, January 22, 2015, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizoria

The MMPs are pleasing to the eye as is that meandering river, but I think the river banks are a bit too thick and rocky. To be fair though making the river banks merge into the terrain is very tricky. All in all it looks good.

Responsa

vortext: Thank you very much for your explanation, but unfortunately I don't have Photoshop. Unless I'll be able to find another way to add fog to my pictures, I guess there'll be no foggy screenshots by me. BTW, for your efforts in providing me with a long link list in your MD, you have already been reserved a Via named after you in one of my cities - as soon as I can find an appropriate place, I'll show it in my MD :thumbsup:
Dantes: Thank you for your interest, however, I couldn't understand your comment. What do you mean with water line, and why should it be inefficient to place the wind turbines close to it?
kbieniu7: Thank you very much! I actually already thought that I could this time use other MMP's than only rocks and gravel for my shoreline, but I had no idea how to do it exactly until then. Meanwhile, one of the next updates will be about the same, namely, designing a shore in swampy terrain (no more details), and I guess I'll just try around a little.
romualdillo, Nanami, art128, manga rivotra, Alafel, Bipin, Vizoria: Wow, thank you all for your nice comments and your interest.

Provisio

(Preview)
Unfortunately, no update this time, as my work isn't really in a state that I'd like to show it off. However, since the more busy days will be returning tomorrow, I wanted to share some pictures with you, one that I somehow forgot to put into another update, and a preview about what I might do next.

As for the first topic: I've modified the Historic Harbor props a little bit to make a boardwalk placeable on land and allow MMP's beneath it. The main reason for this was to create a wooden boardwalk in Tyrsalis (one of the settlements on city tile B3, Vella, the city that was on display during my OSITM last year) instead of a concrete seawall. Warning: Very large picture!

Click to enlarge

As for the second topic: There are some ruins, coincidentally in the same city tile, close to the river delta in Mithrax. For quite a while, no one cared about them and scientists just assumed that they have been built in a pre-Calidorian era, however, according to more recent research, they might have been a result of very early Calidorian settlers presumably wanting to build a village or town here that had to abandon this place for some reason, most likely due to a massive flood.
I've been experimenting a bit with various rock and sand MMP's and Girafe's feather grass, however, I might have overdone it a bit with the sand. It was tricky to do it because I didn't want to let the base terrain show through; however, with this much sand, the area at the ruins looks somehow grotesque and you nearly can't see the feather grass. Therefore, it is likely that this particular place will be changed in the future.

Click to enlarge

And that's already all for now. Hope you liked it.

Edit: Improved grammar.

Gugu3

kbieniu7

Nice x2 ;)

Those wooden "seawalls" looks good, especially with rocks beneath it  :) The second picture as well. I don't think it's looking grotesque, for me it's done well  :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

kelis

I like both pics, but the one with the beach is really cool !! Great job with the seawall.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Vizoria

You are definitely on to something with that second picture, those ruins look great. Well done!

Nanami

Both looks nice! :) the ruin is just to precious to be replaced by something else....

Themistokles

Nice ruin! And I don't think the grass looks at all grotesque, that's how a sand and grass area looks like, isn't it?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Responsa

Gugu3, kbieniu7, kelis, Vizoria, Nanami, Themistokles: Thank you very much for your interest and your nice comments! Since most of you like the ruins the way they are, they won't change much :) More about that, however, in a futural update.

Progressio

Unfortunately, the title "progress" is a bit of an exaggeration, as I had no time to really do great and much work. However, there's one fact that means I had to write an update today: As per January 22nd, Calidores celebrated its first birthday. As if my bad luck had known it, I've been sick over the weekend :angrymore: which prevented me from writing an update; it's actually rather unpleasant to sit in front of the PC while your body is shivering due to having chills.
So, there are only a few pictures. I've been considering for months now what to do with that river delta in city tile B3, Vella (the city seen during my OSITM last year). Well, now I just thought, "What the hey, just try around a little, perhaps you might get a good idea while working on it"; so I finally got to it - at least with the very beginning.
The subsequent three pictures show the development step by step. I've only got the river and the shoreline so far, the vegetation will have to wait. I've decided to stick with a rather rocky shoreline at the outer river arms, which are carrying most of the water, while I'll make the shoreline of the inner arms with sand, dirt, and very few rocks (and later some plants, whenever I'm getting to it).
As for the vegetation: I'm actually planning to fill some of the islands with flooded forests, the rest will just be standard forests and perhaps a little mud/swamp like the one in Update 24.

1st picture: Just the water
2nd picture: With Rocks
3rd picture: With sandy shoreline

25.01; Click to enlarge

25.02; Click to enlarge

25.03; Click to enlarge

Aaaaaaand... since it is my MD's first birthday, I thought I'll send you a postcard from every settlement I've made so far (this was the most meaningful way to do something special, since I've already shared several overview pictures, and most of Calidores' provinces are either finished or not developed at all). This is, by the way, a map illustrating all locations of the provinces, with their respective flag:

And now the postcards:

Click to enlarge
Small writing: names of the settlements
Bold: cities
Underlined: capitals

Top row, from left to right: Portalensis, Mistra, Tyrantium
Bottom row: Lemanticum Harbor, Lemanticum City

Left column, from top to bottom: Castrum Iramaris, Castrum Tullae
Large picture: Lexus

Top row, from left to right: Orantria, Valoriae
Bottom row: Haerestria, Inerium

Left column, from top to bottom: Castrum Teragonis Castle, Veralermum
Large picture: Castrum Teragonis City

Left: Tyrsalis
Right: Mithrax

Left column, from top to bottom: Lumbrae, Vindriae, Ardegries
Large picture: Tilurium
Right column, from top to bottom: Talus Alta, Talus Bassa

Left column, from top to bottom: Lithicum, Vallis Moriae
Large picture: Tigris

That's all for today. I hope you liked it, even though the update didn't really show something spectacular.

kbieniu7

Quote from: 11241036 on January 25, 2016, 02:40:42 PM
That's all for today. I hope you liked it, even though the update didn't really show something spectacular.

How it didn't show, when it did show?  ;) That's a really good update, you've presented!

First of all, I would like to congratulate to you of the first anniversary of your region :) Wish another great one! The postcards are great idea, thanks for sharing them with us. That's inspiring. It shows, that Calidores it's not just one city, but a real country ;) Especially, that each of them has its own flag, making it individual! My favourite one is the shot of Lemanticum City in Leptanis, how the old part blends with the forest. I wish I had more time to investigate them really closely. I will come back and take another glance next days :)

The estuary is awesome! You've managed to give it a natural layout, that's one of the things, that are quite hard while imitating nature - to make everything seems organic and... and just natural :)

And, don't worry about your sickness! In fact, don't think about playing a game, if you feel SO bad. We will wait, we would like to hear you have time to cure yourself, nothing in rush. Sit down in an armchair with a cup of tea with raspberry syrup and relax ;)

Take care!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

compdude787

Congratulations on the first anniversary of this MD! Great work so far.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Themistokles

Great exposé! :thumbsup: It's been a wonderful journey over the year and here's to another one! :bnn:
... and I just realised, that Calidores and I share the same birthday :D

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Swordmaster

Looks fantastic! &apls

Cheers
Willy

Gugu3

Responsa

kbieniu7: Thank you very much for your really nice words and your interest. I appreciate it. Fortunately, I had time to recover, and I accepted your suggestion to relax :)
Themistokles: Thank you very much, too. And happy birthday to you as well :)
compdude787, Swordmaster, Gugu3: Thank you all very much, too!

Progressio

In today's update, we will see what happened to those homeless settlers a few years after having arrived in the Calidorian valley. Furthermore, I have started developing a new city tile (however, as of now, only the planning is there), and there are a few experimental pictures that I'd like to share with you.
Note: Unfortunately, I've hit my download limit this week :-[ and my connection has been slowed down, so my own pictures are loading very slowly. This means, in case I can't see one of my own pictures, I have no way to tell if it's because of my slow connection or because I forgot to copy&paste a picture link. If I really forgot, please stay tuned, as I will rectify that problem in a few days when my connection is back to full speed.

15 ACC

ACC: ab Calidorem condita = the amount of years since Calidores has been founded
After arriving in the Calidorian valley, the settlers started building up a new empire. The first step was gathering enough building materials and building a village to improve security and having amenities. And so, after 15 years, a small village, surrounded by a stockade, has formed. Please note that it is partially still a WIP, because I do think that placing just a few houses, without anything like a garden or fences, looks a bit poor. I'm thinking about improving everything by placing MMP's there, but I haven't had any idea so far which ones.
Of course, this village also has a name. Since Suradeis, the old hometown of the Calidorians, actually doesn't exist anymore and the people started missing it, naming this village something like "New Suradeis" sounded quite acceptable. Of course, over the years, due to some changes of the typography rules, the name has now changed to

Suradis Nova

which is known in other languages as (trying to gather my knowledge of a few languages; hope I'm getting an acceptable result, if not, please feel free to tell me. My knowledge of French and Spanish is rather limited, and I don't actually speak Japanese and Greek, but I like the characters, so I tried my hands at a transliteration):

German: Neu-Surad
English: New Surade
French: Nouvelle Sourade
Spanish: Nueva Suradis
Japanese: スラーディス・ノーヴァ
Greek: Νέο Σουραδισ

#26.01; Click to enlarge

And a close-up:

#26.02; Click to enlarge

Of course, most people back in these times lived from farming, animal breeding, and fishing. Therefore, I've tried my hands at a few farm fields, pastures, and a ferry harbor at the river. Since Calidores has neighboring empires like most other empires, trading has already started; however, a ferry harbor sounded more logical than a bridge because in these times, bridges were just too expensive to build whenever a ferry harbor would do the same job.

#26.03; Click to enlarge

#26.04; Click to enlarge

By the way, for providing me with a really long list of plugin links in his MD, without them I wouldn't have been able to create this village, somebody actually deserves a special honor in accordance with the Calidorian policy (I hope you like it, it took me a while to keep my promise, but I couldn't think of any location that would be more suitable):

#26.05; Click to enlarge

Meanwhile, somewhere else...

... and sometime else, Mayor 11241036 has started planning on a new city tile, D1 Melarii Inferiores, to be exact. First, a picture taken with RegionCensus, to illustrate its landscape:

#26.06

It's somehow difficult to develop, especially with the very steep slopes. My plans are to build a medium-sized village at the base of the mountains, and a very small village in the lowered portion of the hills between the two river valleys. As for the first village, I'll try to keep it a little poorer, and mostly living from dirty industry.

Translations:
Gusslov: that's actually the name of a lot by SFBT: Gießerei Gusslov (an iron furnace)
Steinbruch: quarry
I-Gebiet: industrial area
BaH (short for Bauernhof): farm

#26.07; Click to enlarge

As for the second village, I'm planning to place a mine nearby so there's any reason to actually settle somewhere in the mountains. As you can see, the slopes are scary, but actually, I think that this is sort of interesting.

Translations:
Mine: mine
Kirche: church
Quelle: spring (a place where a brook or river emerges)
Wanderwege zu Wasserfall: hiking paths leading to a waterfall (not a literal translation)

#26.08; Click to enlarge

Finally, I've been thinking of how to complete the river delta we've already seen in the previous update. Only the vegetation along the river needs to be done. I've been thinking that it would be a little too easy to just plant a few trees. I wanted to make a type of partially flooded forest. In German, there's a special name for it (Bruchwald) I couldn't find an appropriate English translation. Since the file size of Vella is already very large, along with the loading time, I had to make some experiments in another city tile. I'd like to share three pictures of my experiments with you; please feel free to share your opinion.
My plans are mostly to combine a limited variety of trees (in this case birch trees, since only a few species of trees can tolerate being flooded) with cattails (to simulate a few raised locations with high grass), water and probably a few rocks. There are 5 experimental forests, 3 with Jeronij's ploppable water (I can't think of its actual name), one with Pegasus' Tahoe Water, and one with the RFR Plopwater system. Personally, I prefer Pegasus' water this time, because of its darker color and the fact that Jeronij's water actually drowns the grass.

#26.09a; Click to enlarge

#26.09b; Click to enlarge

#26.09c; Click to enlarge

And that's all for today. Hope you like it.

Themistokles

Ich hoffe es geht gut, dass ich auf Deutsch schreibe! Ich muss doch mal mein Deutsch üben...

Sehr gutes Arbeit mit dem palisaden-umgeschloßenen Dorf! Besonders gefällt mir den Hafen mit den Schiffen und der hölzernen Pier - die passen ja zu der Szene sehr gut. :thumbsup: Der Buchwald sieht echt gut aus und mir gefällt auch peg's Wassertextur am besten. Betreffend der Dorfname weiß ich nicht ob Du einen Schwedisch-sprachigen Nachbarreich hast, ;D aber der Name wäre irgendwie Nya Suradis.

Good work on that palisaded village! I especially like the port with the ships and the wood pier, they fit the scene very well. The Buchwald looks really good, and I agree with you about peg's water textures. About the village name, I don't know if you have a Swedish-speaking neighbouring empire, but anyway it'd be Nya Suradis.

Seaman

Quote from: Themistokles on February 11, 2016, 02:53:34 AM
Ich hoffe es geht gut, dass ich auf Deutsch schreibe! Ich muss doch mal mein Deutsch üben...

only some minor mistakes, but I was able to understand you without hestitation. Gut gemacht.

I love the harbor and village. I immediatly get this Anno 1503 feeling!

Swordmaster

You're taking on quite a difficult subject, but pulling it off quite nicely! Really love that waterstream with the rapids in pic 04.

Cheers
Willy

Responsa

Themistokles: Thank you very much! Also, good German text, with only minor mistakes, as Seaman already noted. I'll include "Nya Suradis" as soon as possible in the first post :thumbsup:
Seaman, Swordmaster: Thank you both very much, too!

Progressio

Since the more busy days will come back soon, I only have time today to write an update.
I've been developing the new city tile I've shown off in its planning state in last update, D1 Melarii Inferiores. It took me quite a while, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to give it a poorer look than the other cities. Since there are some undeveloped corners left, I'll share close-ups when I've got them filled.
There'll only be two villages, first the larger one, located at the base of the mountains there, with the name of Inosetia. Clearly you can see an old village core between the two rivers, large, mostly residential areas south of the river (north is located to the left of the picture) and one of Calidores' more dirty secrets, the metal industry, to the west.

#27.01; Click to enlarge

This time, I wanted to make some kind of second business district, a little outside of the old village core, mostly due to better economical conditions in the last 20 years, as well as the changes in the main route layout of Calidores, meaning that the main route actually isn't located at the village city core anymore, but rather south of it, in the residential quarter.

#27.02; Click to enlarge

And these are the old village parts. I love building on slopes ;D

#27.03; Click to enlarge

And a close-up of the hill with the Stiftskirche (diocese church) on it.

#27.04; Click to enlarge

And another close-up, this time of the small bridge at the top of the picture, but rather because I do again want to say how much I love the terraforming technique McDuell discovered ;D

#27.05; Click to enlarge

Sadly, this is all for today. Further development on this city tile may include
* building another village in the mountains, this time mostly with old buildings
* including a few special landmarks in close proximity to said village, most notably a mine, a castle, and a monastery
* filling everything with forests and mountain vegetation
* designing the river shores, especially at the springs and waterfalls
* filling a few gaps in the MMP design of Inosetia
which means, there's still a lot of work ahead.

Hope you liked it.

Themistokles

Nice work! I especially like the way you've put the church up on the hill above the town :thumbsup:

(Es freut mich auch, dass mein Deutsch verständlich war! Danke Dir und Seaman für das Feedback. :) )