• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckbeach

Quote from: FrankU on November 13, 2008, 04:56:06 AM

But somehow I get the feeling I missed something....
How is it with the field fences? You were worikg on them quite a while back. Are they available somewhere, or are they not yet finished?

EDITFrank, I've pushed the fencelines forward in the queue of things to be worked on- they are completed but for the final steps to put them properly in the game menu (icons, proper sequencing, LTEXTs) and have been since last summer.  Shame on me, and thanks very much for reminding me.  Watch for a post on the fencelines shortly. -DE

DE, I wasn't aware of your fence project and will also look forward to it, along with patiently waiting for Chrisadams of the Rural Renewal Project to return and make his fences and other plops available again.  Seems he has dropped off the map, his last post was early October.

un1

I was looking at the 3RR atlas and I saw the border of the 3RR region with Minnesota. So that got my question, where on Earth would 3RR be?

-un1

deathtopumpkins

un1: I know at one point David was working on a project to add 3RR into the Google Maps map... though I can't remember if it was ever completed. And I believe it's at the northwestern end of the Great Lakes, thereabouts above Minnesota.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Kitsune

Heres a question, will the STR be able to do neighbour connects?
~ NAM Team Member

Swamper77

Since STR is just an override of the game's rail network, it will be able to make neighbor connections. However, you will need to place a starter piece in the next city to convert the rail coming into that city to STR. By default, the game will assume it is the normal double-track rail and will place a section of that at the neighbor connection.

-Swamper

EDITHeh, Jan!  I knew that.  Thanks for giving me a chance to use Bill Pullman's great line from Ruthless People [linkie]. -DE
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

ben_meissner

metarvo

Although it's not STR-related, I thought I might show you all something that I did that relates to neighbor connections.  I have no idea if this is functional or not, but I have managed to create neighbor connections with the FAR.  If anyone thinks that I am hijacking 3RR, then I will remove the pics if necessary.

First, I have built a normal road neighbor connection. Straight out of the box, Maxis-style.

I bulldoze two road tiles, leaving only the 1-tile connection.

Finally, I hover the FAR straight piece over the connection so that one end is over it, and I place the FAR piece.  There it is, a FAR neighbor connection.  This works with FARR, as well.  I will probably test this to see if it is functional, but it is a visual "yellow arrow" connection, that much I know.

EDITThat, my friend, is too cool!  Posts like this are what 3RR is for- don't ever hesitate, folks, to step in just like this.  Thanks, metarvo, for a great post! -DE
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dedgren

Could I head for bed not having shown you these?

Yes, those are the 45 degree to FAR curve transition, last seen in texture form, now coming soon to a computer near you as a Wide Curve/FAR puzzle piece.  The raw edge will be fixed during retexturing, but other than that, it's ready to go.

Almost 1,500 page views today.  We're going to have to do another "nobody lurks" day soon- maybe on 3RR's second birthday here on SC4D, which is now just a little more than a month away.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

frdrcklim

Wow, really incredible. Looking forward for the next update.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

BigSlark

The FAR/FARR/STR project continues to blow my mind.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Kevin

Toichus Maximus

Same. I can't wait to get to play with it. I've actually stopped playing sim city for the moment because anything I do in any of my tiles will be obsolete once these come out.

metarvo

&apls

The grid continues fade from view, as Sims everywhere are realizing that they don't have to live their lives around it.  Freedom from the grid is not FAR from becoming a reality.  That diagonal-to-FAR curve is looking superb, David.

As for what I'll do... I think I'll just build with what I have now.  When these are released, I will have an excuse to create construction zones.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sim-al2

HACK THE GRID! YEA!    ()flamdev()

Wow... maybe I got a little carried a way there... but the grid will soon face its demise.... ()borg()
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

dedgren

I seem to be in clean-up mode as we head into the weekend.

My access to my upload space has been restored.  It seems that that the Filezilla update didn't actually erase my username and password settings- just some internal settings that were reset to their default value.  Everything works now, and the 3RREX [linkie] will soon have the ploppable telephone poles on it.

Another thing that you will find there is an expanded collection of Matt's (threestooges) ploppable windmills.  There's the old familiar red vane version.

Now, though, there's also a "steel" color vane windmill, if that suits your fancy.

Beyond these two choices, though, there are further enhancements.  Before, the windmill was purely orthogonal in placement.  Now, you have with each color variant the ability to choose between ortho/diagonal and 15/30/60/75 degree placement options.

As shown, clicking the mouse during placement cycles through these options.

I'm working on the fencelines- they may be the next thing to get done.

Or not.  There's other stuff on the way.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

projectadam

Since you called out all of the lurkers on one of your last posts I guess it is time to step out of the shadows for a little bit. Your last pictures with the windmills remind of back home in Nebraska. As always great work with the region and new content.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

Pat

David simply impressive work here my friend wow!!! I am soo stunned at the quality of work you do and the game changing items you whip out!!!! &apls  Make sure you have a great weekend there David!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Glad to hear that you got some problems straightened out, David. I'll be on the lookout for Matt's telephone poles.

And those new FAR pieces look fantastic, too, my friend! Wonderful job!

Dustin

dedgren

How would you...

like to be able...

to select a ploppable seasonal tree...

with a click or two of your mouse?

Well, now you can.

I know not everyone is up for using seasonal tree lots.  These don't change around the year, but you can create whatever season you want with ploppable mayor mode trees.  Whaddaya think about that?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

allan_kuan1992

Although I do like how 3RR has led to many enhancements in the game... I feel that it's somewhat straying from its original purpose... which was to create a multiplayer region.

Yes, all of this is realistic, and I do actually like how these enhancements come along... like FAR, FARR, tree-ploppable road signs and trees and telephone poles... but I haven't heard a word from the multiplayer front. Rather, it appears new ideas of more realism take priority.

In the end, with so many new updates focused on this front, I'm not sure what the purpose of 3RR is now. Maybe the purpose has changed to a sandbox region where SC4 is pushed to the fullest to achieve realism for others. Still good, but a far cry from what I expected many months ago.

I don't intend to be harsh, but this is how I see things headed towards. Because things don't appear to be heading to the intended spot...

One last thing. The tree-plopping technology is revolutionary and it certainly enhances realism... the only problem i might have is if i happen to bulldoze the work and try again... it would take a long time to remake I think... &mmm

- Allan Kuan

EDITAllan- good comment, and thanks for being direct.  I've been thinking about the same thing for a bit.  I'll sleep on a response, but you can count on my next post addressing the issues that you've raised, my friend. -DE

abcvs

QuotePosts like this are what 3RR is for- don't ever hesitate, folks, to step in just like this.
I have made a few quick doodles myself...

...and I am liking what I see.

Edit...  
Sorry can't help myself...  this is my first attempt at using FARR.  Brace yourselves...

The varied angles of the telephone poles allowed me to bring the line down off the embankment.   Nice.

EDITCraig, thanks for posting the great pics.  What rock mod are you using?- I think I'd like to try it.  It has that "north woodsy" look. -DE