• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Adam, I can do one thing at a time pretty well, but you can do 100 things at a time very well.  I'm always awed when I come here.  We need to talk about terrain MODding.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Sciurus

Adam, we must speak together yet! :D
Ok, for the terrain mod, but when it'll be finished, when will you upload this? $%Grinno$%
Your city is fantastic, and Art says, a perfect shoice of your buildings, and I hope it's the same thing for the rest of your city. So, I wish you a enorm luck for the rest ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

bat

Wonderful fourth part of that port there! The random shots are all really nice!
BTW, where do you get the bridge in the first three pictures???

Ennedi

The main intention of this update is to answer as quickly as possible for your lates comments. I am especially satisfied and grateful of your interest in new terrain mods.I will contact with everybody who offered his help and I think we will be able to make something really new together! :thumbsup:

I must prepare my latest work to exchange with you and it will take a few days. The next update will be a continuation of the terrain mods theme.
We will have also two side themes:

1. We will try to check if the water mod can help us with making a good transition between sea and various canals; I have a few ideas about it, maybe we will sove this problem with your help.

2. I have a specific request from FrankU: I want to make a rock mod especially dedicated for urban environments.
What does it mean? ou can read the original idea and its details here. In short words, there are many people who build their cities on flat terrain, and the rock texture appears only on embankments. If we build for example a raised or sunken highway or the rail line on the embankment, we must cover the slope by various walls to hide the rock texture. And it can be easy solved: all we need is to make a rock mod with texture which would look apropriate on such slopes. It can be grass, grass with some stones or anything else. Of course it will look strange as a texture of real mountains - but who knows?
If it is clear for you and you are interested in this theme, please help me a bit. You can suggest me how could look embankments in our cities, RL pictures would be very helpful.

Now some replies:

Quote from: rooker1 on February 19, 2009, 08:35:22 AM
Adam,
:o
Very mouth watering, unspirational update.  You never sieze to amaze me.
I do have a quick question for you.  Where did you get that stair prop in the forth picture in this last update?  Both of them actually, the narrow one and the wide one.
In that very same picture....I love how you placed the building, absolutely brilliant.  &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Robin! I hpe you found Masuda's stairs. As for the building - I like it very much too (it's a version of the famous building from Times Square, I downloaded it from Capital Simcity - it's probably Heblem's creation). But... I will have to modify it slightly  &mmm. It hasn't a road access, so it hasn't nightlights...  :)

Quote from: art128 on February 19, 2009, 08:50:45 AM
Hey Adam, you certainly know what I have to say ?
For a CBD, this is a great CBD my friend, you've choose the perfect buildings to go there my.
As always I can say, amazing work, the perfection is find in this update!
That river looks sooo realistic my friend, and the environment too !
The pier looks very great too, with that tram line going under the sea/river and those big buildings. &apls
You're always a source of inspiration for me (and I think for the other people).

Best regards,
Arthur.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello Arthur, Thanks a lot! It would be a great pleasure to see that my ideas can be an inspiration for somebody and such people like you can make even better creation starting from the point showed in my pictures  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Rayden on February 19, 2009, 09:05:29 AM
Great work Adam, the CBD looks amazing. About the terrain/rock mods, as I said before, if you need some help just let me know. ;)

Hello Silvio, thank you for your offer, I will contact with you soon. Yes, I have some questions  :)

Quote from: Heblem on February 19, 2009, 09:23:46 AM
Adam, hi

First of all i'm sorry for not replaying in your MD since last year  :D, just wanted to tell you that your city looks excellent even with the sea walls and ports, you have a nice talent at that area. Also what I did really enjoyed was your photoshopped pictures of landscapes, seas, and beaches, even I'm thinking to take a picture from your MD for a wallpaper in my desktop, lol  ::)

As for your new terrain mods, you're getting skilled in that area, I love your snowy rock mod, which make looks excellent in snowed capped mountains, thats a great idea in fact.

I would like to offer my help if you wish, in doing some terrain mods, I have some ideas in mind, but i'm not good doing textures, so if you got something don't mind to ask me so I can do easily a terrain mod for you.

Take care.
Eblem

Hola amigo, don't apologize, I know you are very busy! Looking at your last creations I must say you spend your time very effectively!  :thumbsup:
I will contact with you too. If you have good ideas but some problems with making textures, I can help you. And you can help me with completing and adjusting the terrain mod  :)

Quote from: TheTeaCat on February 19, 2009, 10:52:00 AM
Wow
A few teasers he says. Goodness if that's a "teaser" update then what will the proper one look like :o

Stunning CBD, wonderful choice of buildings, fantastic work on the canal I could go on and on and....... you get the picture.

That sim in the wheelchair must be having a pretty hard time negotiating the steps (4th pic in this update) ::)

Btw what is that truck like building in the 10th pic. Very unusual never seen that before $%Grinno$%

And I do look forward to your work on a terrain mod :D

All in all a very enjoyable update :thumbsup:

regards
Derry

Hello Derry, always good to see you here!
I suppose I will not say about "teasers" anymore - I'm not sure if my next pictures will be better  ;D. But My intention was rather to say that my city presentation is not complete yet. Many areas are under development, so it is difficult to make a complete presentation with panoramic shots and such things. So I concentrate on closeups of more interesting places (I hope).
Did you see this man in the wheelchair?  :D I was curious if anybody will see him  ;)
Don't worry about him, he doesn't seem tired, he stayed for a while and he is talking friendly with a man staying to the right

Looking more carefully you can see the wheelchair has only two wheels, not four. It is obvious that it is much more comfortable to move downstairs and even upstairs on two wheels than on four  ;). However it needs some specific skills, so our sim has a group of fans - you can see them here

You don't know what is this truck-like building?! It is clear you don't live in New York. This is Times Square  :D

Does it look like a truck? Of course, everybody knows that Americans Like big trucks  ;D

Quote from: kimcar on February 19, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
&apls &aplsAnother excellent update my friend  &apls &apls Very nice harbour. Just a question , do you think that you gonna release the white rock mod ? because i`m very interesting by . Thanks and keep it up  :thumbsup:

Thank you kimcar! Yes, I'm going to release this rock mod as quick as possible. But it will be more complex than previous ones and it will include some other textures. So "as quick as possible" means "not earlier than in a month"  :). I will inform all of you if I release anything.

Quote from: io_bg on February 19, 2009, 11:19:41 AM
Awesome update!!! This is one of the best CBDs I've ever seen! Great lotting, photoshopping and everything else I've forgot!
P.S. yes, I downloaded these canals and they really fit in small towns!

Hello Ioan, thank you for your visit, I'm glad you find these charming Japan canals useful! They are hidden in the Edo set and not much people have a good place to build ancient Japan buildings (although they are beautiful). But these canals can be used in every rural environment.

Quote from: ElPodol on February 19, 2009, 11:28:50 AM
beautiful city, amazing port  &apls &apls &apls

Thank you very much!

Quote from: pvarcoe on February 19, 2009, 01:43:31 PM
Wow! Adam

I am blown away by your progress on the Terrain Mod.
The progress you have made with the sawteeth texture on snow to rock transition, is excellent.
Those improvements have been a wish of mine since I began terraforming.

I agree that the work that Cycledogg has done both on terrain mods and tree controllers is genius.
The complexity in those files is almost beyond belief. It's great to see him back around here and active.

I know that you have a better grasp of those files than almost anyone,
and certainly would encourage you to continue your work in that area.
If you need someone to beta test terrain stuff, I would be happy to.

Phil

Hello Phil, thanks for nice words! Beta testing is really a nice offer. Knowing your successful attempts with arranging landscapes and forests I suppose you have some excellent places to test new terrain mods. I also appreciate your opinion very much. I suppose there will be something to test in March. I will contact with you.
Silvio, Heblem, Phil... It becomes to look like a really strong group!  :thumbsup: Thank you my friends!

Quote from: dedgren on February 19, 2009, 04:42:52 PM
Adam, I can do one thing at a time pretty well, but you can do 100 things at a time very well.  I'm always awed when I come here.  We need to talk about terrain MODding.

David

David, my friend... It's not a great success to start 100 things, but to finish them all  :D I will try...
As I said in PM, I'm ready to talk about terrain mods. I have some new ideas, and I'm very curious what do you want to say  :)

Quote from: Sciurus on February 20, 2009, 05:11:23 AM
Adam, we must speak together yet! :D
Ok, for the terrain mod, but when it'll be finished, when will you upload this? $%Grinno$%
Your city is fantastic, and Art says, a perfect shoice of your buildings, and I hope it's the same thing for the rest of your city. So, I wish you a enorm luck for the rest ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thank you Sciurus! Good to hear you wish me good luck, I will need it  :D. Some time ago I presented RL pictures from La Spezia and I'm going to recreate at least some parts of it, it will be really difficult.

Quote from: bat on February 21, 2009, 08:47:27 AM
Wonderful fourth part of that port there! The random shots are all really nice!
BTW, where do you get the bridge in the first three pictures???

Thank you very much bat! This bridge you ask is the Norwegian Ulvoybridge (Ulvoybrua) made by Glenni and released in ST. You can find it here. It is only eye-candy, somebody made a "semi-functional" version of it, but I don't know how does it work and I'd like rather to stay with an original Glenni's creation.

The city we visit from a few weeks is called Vera.
About 10 years ago I spent the whole month in winter in Mojacar, a small town located at the East coast of Spain - far to the South, near Cabo de Gata. It is a beautiful place and it deserves a separate talk.
Going to Mojacar I stayed for a while in Vera located at the seaside to the North from Mojacar. Driving a road entering into Vera I saw a huge billboard with a slogan "Vera Natura". I suoppose it can be translated as "Real nature" in some languages. It was really nice slogan, especially knowing that Vera is a huge naturist's center  :D

My Vera is quite different, but you can expect similarly casual and friendly atmosphere here as in the real place  ;). I'm going to build many hotels and clubs, and also to prepare some places where you can enjoy the real nature   :thumbsup:. But my Vera is also very modern big city and a large seaport. Some port faccilities are locared along the river which is an important element of Vera's landscape and its life.
Today we will continue our tour along the river.

A little diggression: I had problems with trams and buses.  Fortunately it was only a small plugins conflict. Now I have trams!

Today only a few shots from the river port, it is not complete yet.

As you see, sea ships movement is not limited to the sea, they move along the river too  :)
Did I modify them in LE? No, I simply raised the sea level for a while, placed ships and removed the water

I raised the sea level only a bit above the terrain level, exactly by 0,4 m. If I would raise it more, you will see my ships on a high foundation  :D

The city life concentrated along the river from a long time. There are many Chinese, Japanese and Korean immigrants in Vera, attracted by friendly atmosphere and low taxes, helping in both big and small business development. Here is an older part of the commercial district, I showed another part of it last time.

A view from the river

The same at night

...And from the opposite side. Looking carefully you can see some seagulls over the backyard, they are always attracted by the garbage  ;D

Now let's look upstream from this place.

The same bridge, but from an opposite side

The Gateshead Millenium Bridge is one of the best BAT's in the SC4 history. Thank you Lee!
It is also one of main symbols of Vera. Let's look at it from another sides, we will see some city at this occasion:

From North

From East

From South

And finally from the West

At the end a few closeups of the beautiful dmscopio creation - Shenzen Children Palace:

That's all for today, I hope you will like this update  :)
Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Nexis4Jersey

Wow , your cities kept impressing me with there true Colorful and Busy , Hustle and bustle of any big Metropolis !  :thumbsup: :)

kimcar

&apls &apls Wow i`m alaways impress by the quality of your MD. The amount of details are incredibile . :o I really like your night shot too. Thanks also for your quick reply and great news as for the release of the white rock mod. Thanks and have fun :thumbsup:

Rayden

Another great update. I like your ports and that raising water level technic...  &apls

But I noticed too, something wrong on your pics 6 and 7. What happen with the water level along the dock walls? Something is not right in there. ()what()

art128

Adam, this update is like the last one, exceptional !
All these such details are just fantastic my friend, your attention to details is enormous. &apls
The CBD is my favorite part of this city, you've choose the good buildings to go here,and they work with harmony. 
You created a really pleasant ambiance in this city, as I would love to buy an apartment in one of these tower, even if it's just a game... $%Grinno$%
As well, the port looks excellent, and I can't wait to see more of it.

Take care,

Arthur.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

io_bg

Another awesome update. I just don't know what else to say ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

CabraBuitre

I really like those green and red boats by the locks.  I don't think I've seen them before.  Did they come with a canal set, or are they part of a different collection?

Looks great!!

Check out Abelfarei!

Pat

Adam wonderful last few updates here wow!!! I cant believe it that I missed some... I am sorry my friend about that...  I liked how you did the harbor there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

That are some wonderful pictures of your harbor! And the city next to it!! Fantastic work, Ennedi!
And thanks for the link...

Sheep49

Adam, I has just been thinking about what MD shall I visit next. I've chosen yours version of Shosaloza, and I have to say that I'm proud that I've done so. The newest update was truly awesome. :thumbsup:

The area along the river is a real treat! I love every single part of it: From the roundabout with GLR sorrounded by billboards in the first picture, through the Japanese/Chinese/Korean area, to 'one of the biggest landmarks' of the city that's called Gateshead Millenium Bridge (that BAT is amazing, isn't it?). Oh, and I love how you got that sea ship on the river. I'm going to try that method some time.

Oh, and one another little thing. Your lots are amazing, but it goes without saying :D

So, all in all, it was a good update! Keep up the great work, Adam :thumbsup:

Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

Scarton

Wow :o :o Your city is actually beautiful. Very colorful too. You did a fabulous job. I really like the night shots :) :thumbsup:.

mightygoose

the apotheosis of city journalling, well met.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

vershner

Hi there, I've just been looking through some of the start of this diary. It's fantastic work. Really inspirational.

I haven't worked my way through the whole topic yet, so apologies if this has been asked before, but how do you make those sloped bridges, as in the pic below:

Battlecat

Amazing work here!  Love the waterfront in your latest update!

mightygoose

Quote from: vershner on March 12, 2009, 10:28:54 AM
Hi there, I've just been looking through some of the start of this diary. It's fantastic work. Really inspirational.

I haven't worked my way through the whole topic yet, so apologies if this has been asked before, but how do you make those sloped bridges, as in the pic below:

those road viaducts are created by maxis, you just need an appropriate slope mod, carefully location choice and abit of luck to make them...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

TheTeaCat

Thats what I call an update  &apls

Excellent work as always Adam. :thumbsup:
I am just blown away by some of the pics  &apls &apls

I'm going back for another look :D :D

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

vershner

Quote from: mightygoose on March 13, 2009, 11:13:54 AM
those road viaducts are created by maxis, you just need an appropriate slope mod, carefully location choice and abit of luck to make them...
After reading this I just fired up the game a tried it out. I can't believe I've been playing this game for 5 years and never seen them before. I feel dumb now.
It's really hard to make them though! Ennedi must have spent ages forcing them to work for that road. Great work!

Thanks for your help.