• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Quote... did you play Cities XL? And what is your verdict on that game?

Jesper, you have no idea of the possible consequences of asking the latter question.

Suffice it to say that the answer to the first part is yes and the second part is, in a word, no.  I'm on record elsewhere around the net as to the details.  It would be better for all concerned if I didn't get started on this subject here at 3RR.  You folks, though, are perfectly welcome to discuss CXL here- I would just wind up ranting.

Other than that, how's the weather in Malmo?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CaptCity

David, your last few images (well, maybe not the worms  ;)  ) have sure made me sit up (and almost fall over) and notice... Since I've always been interested in the transit aspect of the game, having the 'correct' road markings appear at the correct times has forever been a dream of mine. Looks like the title of 'dream realizer' can be added to your vast list of monikers...

dedgren

Diags work too.

...fershlugginer T-21s...

All draggable.  Talk about a can of worms, though.  We have to anticipate pretty much every possibility- and there's some pretty weird possibilities.

'Nite.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

MandelSoft

That's awesome! Seems you've mastered the RUL2. Great work, David!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

catty

Quote from: ldvger on January 09, 2011, 01:47:42 PM
David-

Excellent work on the RR Crossing!  I just LOVE realism in game, the more the better, can't get enough.  But what about speed limits on the roads?  I mean, it seems to me that the higher the speed limit on the road, the further away from the RR crossing the warning would appear, right?  Would there be a way to assign distances for the warning from the crossing based on road size?  In SC4, we have streets, roads, avenues, and highways, each with an assumed speed limit (I guess...I never checked to see if the vehicles moving along the traffic networks move at different speeds on different roads).

EDITLora, I know that the speed limit issue has been looked at by others, and that the automata move at a uniform rate that is determined by the transit type (i.e.: highway, road, street) involved.  It would be great if vehicles would slow down around sharp road curves , up a long hill, or through a rail level crossing.  That one, though,, may well be beyond our power to MOD the simulator. -DE

The traffic simulator has a Intersection and Turn Capacity Effect which and this is a quote from the "A Guide to the Operation of the Traffic Simulator" by Z

QuoteIntersection and Turn Capacity Effect
This property consists of three values that affect the capacity of networks as they approach intersections. (Not all networks are affected; this property is generally intended for road networks.) The values are multipliers that are applied to squares surrounding an intersection. The first value is applied to the capacity of the intersection itself, the second value is applied to the square directly adjacent to the intersection containing traffic approaching it, and the third value is applied to the square one square beyond the second square.

this gives the effect of the traffic slowing down at intersections, I don't know how you could use it, but a further quote from the NAM Readme

QuoteIn addition, as per a discovery made by myself and jplumbley in September 2008, network tiles with paths in 3 or more directions are technically considered "Intersections" by the game, and thus, the Intersection and Turn Capacity Effect modifies the capacity of those tiles.

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Battlecat

Looks great! 

In response to anticipating every possibility, that might not actually be necessary.  Those RR Crossing marks are not inevitable or absolutely required by law. 

Two cases that come to mind where those markings wouldn't be used is if there is a signalized intersection immediately beside the railway track and strangely enough, if there is a blind corner.  In the case of the blind corner, I suspect a large number of warning lights and signs would be used instead. 

Whatever you decide to do, I'm looking forward to seeing what else you've got up your sleeve!

Girafe

Looks better and better David  :satisfied:

even if I don't know american textures, I really appreciate the quality of them  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Ryan B.

Quote from: dedgren on January 09, 2011, 02:00:43 AM
Well, I dunno ... is it?

David

&apls

That's astounding, David.  I may have been reading for a few years now, but sometimes I forget to "never say never".  This is just one example of that.  I'll let you know if I have any more "ideas" that might make their way into my brain.  ;)

:thumbsup:

art128

Nice to see it working on diagonals, David !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

Actually, the game has a dedicated slowdown factor for curves and hills.  It's not located in the Traffic Simulator, however, but rather, the Automata Tuning Exemplar, which is contained in the NAM Automata Plugins.  The property affecting curves is the "Curve Speed Multiplier" (which in the Radical 24hr version of the NAM Automata Plugin is set to 0.7), while Grade Max Slope (set to 45 degrees right now) and Grade Speed Multiplier (set to 0.2 right now) relate to slopes.  Unlike the Traffic Simulator, the Automata Tuning Exemplar is a bit of a "land of the lost" that isn't particularly well charted nowadays.  When the NAM Team last seriously touched it, the7trumpets was still around--6 to 7 years ago.  mott played around with it a little bit in 2007 before inexplicably disappearing, and there's been a couple folks over at ST who have sporadically experimented with it in the past couple years, but that's about it.

Quote from: dedgren on January 09, 2011, 11:42:15 PM
Talk about a can of worms, though.  We have to anticipate pretty much every possibility- and there's some pretty weird possibilities.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who's been playing around with RUL 0x10000002 for 4 years now, I can personally vouch for that statement.  Wait until you have a need to override another override . . . that can get really . . . interesting . . . really quick. :D

-Alex

io_bg

Fantastic work, my friend! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ldvger

David, I'm really liking all I see, but what about RR crossings that do not intersect roads at 90 degree angles?  You know, the ones with the signs warning motorcyclists? 

And, I gotta agree with Battlecat, signs and warnings wouldn't always be needed.  And the chat about speed limits is very interesting, too, if a bit over my head.  My original comments, which kinda kicked off the speed limit discussion, had more to do with the idea of locating the road and sign warnings further away from the crossing on higher speed limit vehicular paths, for example: two cells back from the crossing for streets, 3 cells for raods, and maybe 5 cells for avenues.  I can't think of any instance where a RR would cross a highway...usually the highway goes over a ground RR or vice versa.

My new SC4 disk arrived Saturday and I'm happy to report I am once again able to load my game without any problems.  My new region is now rendered and I am collecting material for a new MD, so keep an eye out...

Lora/LD

Jespernilsson

Quote from: dedgren on January 09, 2011, 03:33:11 PM

Other than that, how's the weather in Malmo?

David

We are just recovering from what could have been the worst snowfall in a decade. We're not used to a lot of snow here down south, ask that other swede who resides here (can't remember the name now sorry!) whom I think lives up north. He can probably tell you more about snow than me!

That curvy road is just awesome.

Edit: Just remembered that you are from Alaska, so I guess you will win in knowledge of snow :)

riiga

Quote from: Jespernilsson on January 11, 2011, 07:15:28 AM
We are just recovering from what could have been the worst snowfall in a decade. We're not used to a lot of snow here down south, ask that other swede who resides here (can't remember the name now sorry!) whom I think lives up north. He can probably tell you more about snow than me!

That curvy road is just awesome.

Edit: Just remembered that you are from Alaska, so I guess you will win in knowledge of snow :)
I think you are referring to metasmurf, as he resides in Umeå. I'm yet another Swede and I live in Linköping, about 400 km northeast of Malmö. We've had lots of snow here, and currently it's fluctuating between -5°C and +2°C, so we're having a hard time here due to all the slippery ice which conviniently shows up as soon as it gets above 0°C, and then of course the ice decides to stay, causing traffic accidents, people slipping and public transit running late...  &mmm So yes, I'd say this is the worst winter that I've experienced so far.

Jespernilsson

Quote from: riiga on January 11, 2011, 08:45:51 AM
I think you are referring to metasmurf, as he resides in Umeå. I'm yet another Swede and I live in Linköping, about 400 km northeast of Malmö. We've had lots of snow here, and currently it's fluctuating between -5°C and +2°C, so we're having a hard time here due to all the slippery ice which conviniently shows up as soon as it gets above 0°C, and then of course the ice decides to stay, causing traffic accidents, people slipping and public transit running late...  &mmm So yes, I'd say this is the worst winter that I've experienced so far.

That's the bad thing about Malmö aswell. It snows like hell, melts and gets all gooey, then it freezes again due to temperatures not being very stable here. So instead of layers of snow on our streets we get layers of ice. Not so good :P

marsh

So... I think this is the first time I've ever commented here.... yup. It is...  :-[ And I honestly don't know why. There is so much amazing stuff being done here. Not only visually, but for the game itself.
AANNdddd... now I don't know what else to say...  /wrrd%&

Just, fantastic work here. I just wanted to try and show my appreciation.

,marsh :)

JoeST

You know what I've missed? 3RR.....FAN-FRICKEN-TASTIC! <3

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Nardo69

Looks as great as North-American - never seen such road paintings neither in Good Ol'Europe nor in Turkey.

BTW: You know what I really do miss concerning level crossing? Puzzlepieces - or draggables - for crossing more than 1 tile of railway ... with only one RR crossing sign at the edges and none of them in the middle pieces ...

If I had them I might not put out my big'n'mighty "Don't do Level crossing" - club ... ;)  :D

Tale care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

metarvo

Since I don't always bow down to the grid, the addition of diagonals is welcome.  I can't wait to see what you do with STR.  ()stsfd()  Oh, and I never noticed before, but it looks like the crossing gate has one of those "2 tracks" signs below the crossbuck sign.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

kalanc69

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a great New Year! I'm just checking in after being gone for awhile due to medical problems and surgeries, and needless to say I am quite happy that 3RR is still thriving and quite active! I've been following 3RR quietly for many, many years and I've ALWAYS been inspired and impressed by the dedication and hard work that has gone on here. I'm hoping to get back in to the game again and see if I can get my creative juices flowing after a long reprieve from the game..Once again, I'm excited to be back and can't wait to see what you all have to post!!

Kalanc69