• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

He discovered that by bulldozing one side of the starter piece you can split an NWM network.  ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

smileymk

Quote from: Rady on June 09, 2010, 05:54:08 AM
AHa ... and what exactly would that be? What are we supposed to discover here ..?  ()what() ()what() ()what()

Multi-NWM. Yes, you heard me correctly. You can apply the 'half-highway' concept to NWM. That's the discovery (and I do not know of anyone who is already aware of this.)

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 09, 2010, 06:43:22 AM
He discovered that by bulldozing one side of the starter piece you can split an NWM network.  ;)

Err, not exactly. It essentially involved bulldozing the entire starter piece, dragging road back to fill in the gap, dragging an el-rail through one side of the road, then demolishing the el-rail.

Realistic Cities for Dummies
Step-by-step tutorials on every single aspect of realistic city-building.

FacebookYouTube

deathtopumpkins

I'm gonna have to try that out in-game... not sure how it would work, as how can the override be initiated at all without the starter piece?

Simply bulldozing one side of the starter piece is much simpler anyway.

Dexter

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on June 17, 2008, 08:49:46 AM

I'm such a tease, aren't I?  ::)

There is also a MAVE-6, but I'm dealing with the MAVE-4 first. It should theoretically be possible to combine a MAVE-6 and MAVE-4 to provide a MAVE-5... it just means a single-sided override drag.

I was wondering what happened to these slip lanes that were posted a while back - the impossible left turn on the diagonal road/ave intersection has always bugged me.

Also, is anyone still working on euro textures for the NWM networks?
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

j-dub

@DTP: Did he just mean, after you demolish the starter piece in any event? Because the stub stay theres, and you can still build the network.
As for NWM, I know Shadow Assassin had built his roads where he had 2 straight lanes one side, and 3 lanes the other where they had to be built by splitting up.
However, as we keep on progressing, it looks like RHW and NWM are almost the same. In Smiley's case, that intersection picture is a prime example Even though I know its just NWM, it reminds me and looks like the old days of RHW.

As for diagonal slip lanes to straight-aways, IDK what happened to that.

metarvo

This discovery provides yet another way to create a divided four-lane road.  2 parallel OWR-2's dragged in opposite directions with a one tile median could be used, although the multi-Avenue technique could also be used to achieve a similar effect with a slightly different style.  The RHW-4 can be used for this purpose as well, at the expense of RCI support.  Finally, two parallel MAVE-4 halves can be dragged to form yet another type of divided four-lane road.  When the different types of T21s, sidewalks, and other features are taken into consideration, the use of each of the above types of four-lane networks can add a significant degree of flavor to a city IMHO.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Quote from: Dexter on June 09, 2010, 09:31:57 AM
I was wondering what happened to these slip lanes that were posted a while back - the impossible left turn on the diagonal road/ave intersection has always bugged me.

Also, is anyone still working on euro textures for the NWM networks?

The files for those slip lanes still exist, so it may be an eventual possibility.

As far as Euro NWM textures, from what I know, there isn't really anyone working on any right now.  To the best of my knowledge, Daniel's primarily focused on his RHW set and isn't planning on doing Euro NWM stuff for the foreseeable future.  There have been a couple prototypes floating around behind closed doors, but they were very preliminary and haven't gone any farther that I'm aware.

Quote from: Bartol on June 08, 2010, 08:03:03 AM
Welcome, I have one little question: It's possible to completly reduced one way arrow on One-Way Roads?

Are you talking about getting rid of OWR arrows on the NWM One-Way networks?  Tropod's old OWR Arrow Removal plugin on the STEX, which can be found here should do the trick.  Make sure it's loading after the NWM and NAM, though.

-Alex

SC4BOY

As I recall the demolish half highway gives you no way to deviate in any ways from perfectly straight, so curves would have to be addressed other ways.

zdog720

Is it possible to change the new NWM Avenues stoplights from this:
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3474/vn1.png

To These stoplights:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1760/img0019xs5.jpg

or like this:

http://yfrog.com/mostoplightj

smileymk

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 09, 2010, 07:51:10 AM
I'm gonna have to try that out in-game... not sure how it would work, as how can the override be initiated at all without the starter piece?

Simply bulldozing one side of the starter piece is much simpler anyway.

Like j-dub said, you can delete the starter piece entirely after plopping and dragging and it won't delete the network. This works for any starter piece network, not just NWM.

Quote from: j-dub on June 09, 2010, 09:37:15 AM
However, as we keep on progressing, it looks like RHW and NWM are almost the same. In Smiley's case, that intersection picture is a prime example Even though I know its just NWM, it reminds me and looks like the old days of RHW.

I guess it does, only the NWM is an all-purpose road, so you can put buildings and RCI on it - so in that respect it's more flexible than RHW.

Quote from: metarvo on June 09, 2010, 12:00:44 PM
This discovery provides yet another way to create a divided four-lane road.  2 parallel OWR-2's dragged in opposite directions with a one tile median could be used, although the multi-Avenue technique could also be used to achieve a similar effect with a slightly different style.  The RHW-4 can be used for this purpose as well, at the expense of RCI support.  Finally, two parallel MAVE-4 halves can be dragged to form yet another type of divided four-lane road.  When the different types of T21s, sidewalks, and other features are taken into consideration, the use of each of the above types of four-lane networks can add a significant degree of flavor to a city IMHO.

Absolutely right. There's always the possibility of mixing networks as well... like MAVE-4 outside with RHW-6C inside... And BTW, what does IMHO mean? I'm not great with these slang acronyms...

Quote from: SC4BOY on June 09, 2010, 05:17:43 PM
As I recall the demolish half highway gives you no way to deviate in any ways from perfectly straight, so curves would have to be addressed other ways.

Yes, that is a problem, at least until the NWM people make MAVE go diagonal (hint!)

FacebookYouTube

Blue Lightning

Quote from: zdog720 on June 10, 2010, 11:40:37 PM
Is it possible to change the new NWM Avenues stoplights from this:
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3474/vn1.png

To These stoplights:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1760/img0019xs5.jpg

or like this:

http://yfrog.com/mostoplightj

Do these work? (They replace the ones on the NWM as well)

Though if you want those DC/CA-styled lights, there needs to be someone willing to do all the T21's.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

jdenm8

Just to hammer the point home...

That's just a simple matter of only dragging out on one side, demolishing the starter piece, placing the other starter piece, and then dragging the other side.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: smileymk on June 11, 2010, 03:48:04 AM
Like j-dub said, you can delete the starter piece entirely after plopping and dragging and it won't delete the network. This works for any starter piece network, not just NWM.

Yes, but only if you drag it at least 6 tiles from the starter piece first.

jdenm8: Nice! Glad someone finally tried an asymmetrical one. The NWM was designed with that capability in mind.

smileymk

@ DTP: You can get rid of the excess afterwards.

@ jdenm8: That's one way to do it. My way was simply another method. That asymmetrical avenue is pretty good! I'll have to try it out.

FacebookYouTube

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: smileymk on June 11, 2010, 07:44:33 AM
@ DTP: You can get rid of the excess afterwards.

Yes of course you can. I do know what I am talking about...

Dexist

are there coming turning lanes for this mave-6 intersection? that would be pure awesome  ;D

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 11, 2010, 07:21:51 AM
Just to hammer the point home...

That's just a simple matter of only dragging out on one side, demolishing the starter piece, placing the other starter piece, and then dragging the other side.

Awesome. It's about time someone tried that.

I think it'd be called an ARD 5. I tried that once and that's what came to mind.

I once created an ARD 5 but never used it in a city...

Compared with the ARD 3,...

Just don't create a street intersection with it; It won't look good... Believe me, I tried...

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

j-dub

QuoteThough if you want those DC/CA-styled lights, there needs to be someone willing to do all the T21's.

The California traffic lights style already is public for this game, because I have those new animated 3D signals mounted onto a version of those California poles from that picture of Heblem's fake avenue crossroad. The scale is not exactly the same as the picture, but the nice curved poles alone were T21'ed for the game, and do not mess around with the signals. I don't have the link though, but occasionally you may have seen me or others with pictures of them, because they are out there, but they may not be named California.

itfitzme

What I want is the widest possible avenue with cross street interface to all other network types, end transitions to other road and avenue types, and curves.  The MAVE-6 has the largest capacity, I suppose, but doesn't support curves.  That led me to utilizing the OWR-3 with both directions in parallel.  This almost functions as I can get the end to transition to an AVE-4, the standard SC4 avenue.  And, I get full cross street functionality to other standard and addon streets.  Additionally,the OWR-3 does support curves to the clockwise diagonal.

The single issue I have is getting the OWR-3 to transistion from the diagonal, counter-clockwise, to the orthogonal direction. 

I played around with the diagonal pieces to see if they would provide some help and ran into a second issue.  (I'm not ready to post pictures yet)    With the OWR-3 and other one way roads and avenues, the starter piece drags in the direction of the arrow.  With the diagonal pieces for the OWR-3 drag in the direction opposite to the arrow.  Hmmm.  Why is that?

I haven't documented the outcome of all combinations of road types, it is quite a few, but so far...with what I've played with, it seems that there are more ways things don't connect than there are ways that they do.  I know, from what I've read, that the mod technology has peculiar limitations that have to be dealt with.   So, given the choice, I'd rather fewer road and avenue options with maximum inter-connectivity than have alot of road and ave options with limited inter-connectivity.  It just got all so frustrating going through all the methods of placement and combinations of transitions to get from an AVE-4 up to a six lane curvilinear avenue then transition to a MAVE-6 so I could get connected to the neighbor.  Wow, like hours.

zdog720

Yeah that's what I mean is it possible to use these stoplights with the Avenue only Intersections within the new NWM?  Because the mod u released does replace the in-game maxis stoplights, but they don't replace the new modded Avenue intersections stoplights(with the long-arm poles on the right side of the street): for example
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3474/vn1.png

Can they be placed on these stoplights?:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8724/huntersstraight29sep497.png