• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

About Picture competition rules

Started by Kergelen, January 24, 2013, 01:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kergelen

I start a new topic to disscus about rules and not saturate the Picture Competition board.

I agree with swordmaster and sunv123 to the request to change the rules. I think the rules should be tailored to each situation, and circumstances are different today than there were when rules were implemented.

8 votes I think is a good number, but in cases that do not get it, could be allowed to place a minimum of 3 or 4 votes for the winner. It could also be extended to 36 hours or even 48, and if you do not get either 3 votes, end the round.

The Picture competition is a defining characteristic of SC4D and we have to keep alive, as far as possible.

Just my two cents.

What do you think?

Links to SC4 websites

art128

I don't think making the competition time longer will help, worse is that I think it'll make the round even longer than they're now, thus making everything freeze.
24 Hours is just about fine for a round, me thinks.

8 Votes is indeed the right number nowadays. It was 10 when I first came to SC4D, but it went down to 8 when the activity started to drop here.

I don't not quite follow you about the 3 4 votes though, can you please explain further?

(Also I read your PM Sunv123, just didn't had time to answer as it is something important to discuss and a fast answer would not be acceptable.)

Anyway, have to move to school now, this the quicky answer.. I'll be watching this topic fore sure.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

M4346

I think the suggestion is that a minimum of three votes must be cast for a winner to be declared even if the 24 hours lapsed.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

art128

hmmm.. then yeah, I understand. though maybe à minimum of 4 votes. (half of all the votes) is a good idea. Also we can maybe find a way to attract more people to vote, bacause I think that is the real issue here.
Adding more lengh to the rounds howeve will not solve the problem but instead will make the rounds last longer without guaranted more votes.

I'll try to get in touch with Robin as soon as possible to discuss about this with him. ;)

Props & Texture Catalog

Kergelen

Quote from: M4346 on January 24, 2013, 02:02:57 AM
I think the suggestion is that a minimum of three votes must be cast for a winner to be declared even if the 24 hours lapsed.

This is what I meant. And if there are less than 4 votes for the winner, extended to 12 or 24 hours more.

Links to SC4 websites

rooker1

I would like to keep the time limit to 24 hours.  It's an easy number for everyone to quickly see and know when the round is over.
On the other hand, I really like the idea of a minimum 4 vote rule to win the round.  I will talk with Arthur today and make the rule change as soon as possible.
If everyone that stops by to check out the pics would vote, I think the entire problem would be solved.  So please vote everyone.
And thanks Kergelen for bringing up this point.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Swordmaster

If it so happens that those members who vote regularly (you know who they are) don't visit in a span of 24 hours or are otherwise busy (making updates), there's much less voting. Any amendment to the rules would safeguard the competition from these situations (which by the way are more rare than regular), not harm it or whittle it down. I agree with Kergelen that the picture competition, and certainly the end-of-year voting, is part and parcel of the SC4D boards and needs to be protected from absurd situations like the one that started this discussion. I share Arthur's and Robin's concern about needlessly drawing it out, but sometimes you need to compromise a little to maintain the expected quality here.

So I would say, the 24 hour rule stands, with exception if there have been fewer than 4 votes cast. The round would then end the moment the fourth vote has been cast (absent a tie). How about that?

Cheers
Willy

art128

I have updated the rules following what you guys have been discussing about. As Robin and I think this is the best for the competition:

Quote-To win a round, a picture must have a minimum of four (4) votes. If after 24 Hours passed and neither of the pictures has reached 4 votes, the round will continue until one of the pictures gets 4 votes, then the next challenger can compete and the next round can start.

Thanks again for the input about the rules. I think this decision is the best for the sake of the competition.
Now hopping to see more people vote...!

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Thank you Arthur for taking care of that.  Hopefully this will help.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

sim_link

I know the rule has already been implemented, but I'd like to add in that I support this rule. It's suckey to be on the losing end of a 1-0 vote, but at the same time it is probably not all that satisfying to win 1-0 either. So keeping the 24 hour rule, so long as the minimum 4 votes to win is there is a very good idea. :)

-sl

Simcoug

^ I agree  ;D

I think the picture competition gets buried sometimes and unless somebody goes digging for it, it has a tendency to get lost for a while.   :(

rooker1

Quote from: Simcoug on January 24, 2013, 10:02:01 AM
^ I agree  ;D

I think the picture competition gets buried sometimes and unless somebody goes digging for it, it has a tendency to get lost for a while.   :(

I would encourage everyone to vote than.
Robin ;)
Call me Robin, please.

nbvc

Another suggestion for the picture competition. Maybe the pictures can be a bit taller? Some small mosaics? 1024x2048? Or at least square format pictures 1024x1024?

rooker1

The width must stay at 1024 or less, but I have nothing against a longer length....2048 or less sounds good to me.  I will talk it over with the staff and post here later on this.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.