• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplaya1234

hi guys, I have a question and will there be an update for additional RHW puzzle pieces. Like pieces for RHW intersections, tunnels, RHW 8-lane?

Tarkus

Quote from: simplaya1234 on January 14, 2008, 08:19:33 PM
hi guys, I have a question and will there be an update for additional RHW puzzle pieces. Like pieces for RHW intersections, tunnels, RHW 8-lane?

Well, what's this thread about? :D  The answer there is a no-brainer . . . we're still going full-speed ahead to further expand the system.  In fact, if you look back at Page 76, you'll see work on the RHW-8. ;) 

Glazert, to answer your question about the RHW-6, it kind of falls into uncharted territory.  Theoretically, the game calculates capacity on a per-tile basis, and the lanes are all on a single tile, it's unfortunately the capacity improvement over the RHW-4 is negligible from that perspective.  The RHW-6 was mainly intended as eyecandy, to improve the transition to the RHW-8 (when it arrives) and to allow for merge/acceleration lanes on MIS Ramp Interfaces (which was a heavily-requested feature when the initial MIS Prototype pics were unveiled).  The RHW-8 and 10 will, however, have a noticeable impact on capacity.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks to everyone for your continued feedback, and for the congratulations on 45,000 views--of course, I can't take sole credit for that. ;)

Back with more later.

-Alex (Tarkus)

blahdy

Quote from: simplaya1234 on January 14, 2008, 08:19:33 PM

I can only speak on part of tunnel section.

- RHW-4 tunnel entrance portal is already completed.
- RHW-8 tunnel portal is 90% completed, it is made for Charles River Crossing Project but designed to be separated into a separate dedicated tunnel portal for RHW-8 elevated highway connection.
- RHW-4 exit portal is under preliminary design (pending review) before modelling work can commence.
- RHW-6 entrance portal's preliminary design is completed, ready to move to next step.  Modelling work will commence in the future (probably Summer '08) and will be a replica of real-world application, based on Boston's massive Southbay Interchange.

Right now, we're trying to figure out how to integrate big dig tunnel system with the RHWMIS in terms of game mechanics.  Warrior and jplumbley are conducting experiments on techniques of running underground highway network without using subways.   In the mean time, right now, most people chain RHW into other networks (i.e. one-way road) then feed into a big dig tunnel ramp.  But once the game engineering details are worked out regarding how to handle the tunnels, we will be able to produce tunnel portals that can have a direct right-of-way connection into RHW network. 

Either way, much of updates on tunnel sections can be tracked at the central artery/tunnel project thread.

Glazert

Quote from: Tarkus on January 14, 2008, 09:22:36 PM
Glazert, to answer your question about the RHW-6, it kind of falls into uncharted territory.  Theoretically, the game calculates capacity on a per-tile basis, and the lanes are all on a single tile, it's unfortunately the capacity improvement over the RHW-4 is negligible from that perspective.  The RHW-6 was mainly intended as eyecandy, to improve the transition to the RHW-8 (when it arrives) and to allow for merge/acceleration lanes on MIS Ramp Interfaces (which was a heavily-requested feature when the initial MIS Prototype pics were unveiled).  The RHW-8 and 10 will, however, have a noticeable impact on capacity.

Thanks for answering my question. I guess your answer will make me look forward all the more to RHW-8 and 10.

blunderclod

In the future, are there planned diagonal interchange pieces as well as diagonal 6C with curves?
I never noticed how curvy my freeways are until I started building the new interchanges. It's definitely more fun with the new module system to build a freeway through mountains.

Shadow Assassin

Yes, we'll have diagonal interchange pieces, diagonal 6C. My guess is that they might be included in the next release of RHW, depending on how the modding is going for these pieces.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

kassarc16

The future is looking bright guys!

Another quick query from me. Is a direct transition to Maxis Highways functional, or do we need to turn it into Ave first? In past builds it apparently didn't function correctly, or so I heard.

Tarkus

kassarc16, to answer your question, the Maxis Ground Highway/RHW-4 transition has been fixed for RHW v20.  The issue that was causing that piece to not function in past versions was that the exemplar referencing the model was set to the wrong Group ID (Avenue instead of Maxis Ground Highway), making the paths invalid.  So you should be able to connect them up directly without a workaround now. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Palpatine001

Quote from: Tarkus on January 15, 2008, 07:44:57 PM
kassarc16, to answer your question, the Maxis Ground Highway/RHW-4 transition has been fixed for RHW v20.  The issue that was causing that piece to not function in past versions was that the exemplar referencing the model was set to the wrong Group ID (Avenue instead of Maxis Ground Highway), making the paths invalid.  So you should be able to connect them up directly without a workaround now. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)
"$Deal"$

[Goes and fixes up the Auckland Bypass]

Thanks Alex  :P :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

sc4melbourne

Firstly, because I haven't posted on this thread before, I'd like to say a huge thankyou to everyone on the RWHMIS team for delivering this amazing project - it was a great New Year treat. You're also very dedicated to get back working on the RWH-8C so soon afterwards.

I also have a few questions regarding blahdy's post:
Quote from: blahdy on January 14, 2008, 09:37:32 PM
- RHW-4 tunnel entrance portal is already completed.
- RHW-8 tunnel portal is 90% completed, it is made for Charles River Crossing Project but designed to be separated into a separate dedicated tunnel portal for RHW-8 elevated highway connection.
- RHW-4 exit portal is under preliminary design (pending review) before modelling work can commence.
- RHW-6 entrance portal's preliminary design is completed, ready to move to next step.  Modelling work will commence in the future (probably Summer '08) and will be a replica of real-world application, based on Boston's massive Southbay Interchange.

So, this will involve a subway transition like the Big Dig project?

Quote from: blahdy on January 14, 2008, 09:37:32 PM
Right now, we're trying to figure out how to integrate big dig tunnel system with the RHWMIS in terms of game mechanics.  Warrior and jplumbley are conducting experiments on techniques of running underground highway network without using subways.

Do you mean developing a standard Maxis-style tunnel or an actual customisable underground highway network? I can only drool at the thought.  :D

Jonathan

If completed the tunnels JPlumbley and I are working on will essentially be User-controlled tunnels.
For example the El-rail over road puzzle pieces in the NAM are two networks on the same tile.
The subway will allow subway traffic and road traffic to travel along it at the same time. Unforunately the actual visible tunnels will not look any different unless the neccessary discoverys are made.

Eventually it may be possible to make an override when subway is drawn side by side (like the old RHW draw method) it will convert into a proper under ground highway. But as I have said before it is still in the early experimental stages.

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

JoeST

you guys are the greatest...

now for the request:

would it be possible to split the puzzle pieces up into a total of 4 groups... Curves, Starters&Converters, x-over-RHW, RHW-over-x

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

bwatterud

The way I understand it is that it could be done, but there only a limited number of available puzzle piece tab rings, and they want to keep as many as possible open for any future development (something like the RAM). 

Haljackey

Quote from: bwatterud on January 18, 2008, 05:12:28 PM
(something like the RAM). 

What does the RAM stand for?  (or is it just another name you made up?)

Oh, and I support having at least a separate tab for overpasses, ramps, etc.  The RHW tab is too cluttered for my liking, but I can live with it...

Tarkus

That's a good point, Joe.  It's not terribly difficult to add new TAB Loops, either.  It requires a minor re-structuring of RUL 0x10000000 (much of which can be done rather quickly with Find/Replace in Notepad), and a new icon/icon exemplar to reference the new TAB Loops. 

The number of puzzle pieces is going to grow exponentially in the next few releases, with the addition of the Wider RHWs, Elevated RHWs (note the plural ;)), and the various new MIS interface pieces, so I think it will be necessary at some point (probably with v21) to separate things out a bit.  I think your proposed scheme actually makes a lot of sense.  I might add a 5th category, specifically for MIS ramp interfaces/splitters, but I'm not sure.

But, yes, it would be possible, and I'm all for it. :)

Haljackey, to answer your question about "RAM", it is the proposed "Rail Addon Mod".

I'll be back with a little more development later.  I've been busy creating prototype textures for some new transition and MIS interface pieces, which I still need to get in game. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Haljackey

Rail Addon mod?  Really?  Wow...

Whats the next 'AM?  HAM? (Highway Addon Mod), TAM (Terrain Addon Mod), AAM (Airport Addon Mod), etc?  Eventually, we will run out of the 'AMs LOL!

Oh and Tarkus, V.21 sounds very cool!  Variable width elevated RHWs?  Great.  Now I need to prepare my Elevated highways for a complete overhaul  :P (like I did to my ground highways for V. 20)

Best,
-Haljackey

JoeST

Yeah, and then maybe another 1 or 2 rings for ERWH-s LOL, etc........

Thanks for the quick answer btw

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RSC18

Congradulations on the release of V13 &apls ;D &apls and happy new year (this is the first time I have appeared since 2007, I have been following development, but have not had enough time to talk). Also, Thank you to the team (I cant remember who exactly) for replying to my questions all the waaay back in October/November 2007.

In V21 of the RHW, is the expanded MIS going to contain multi level ramps, to allow 3 and 4 level stacks to be built (they might be complex to program though, maybe, if anyone wants to develop them, they should just be puzzle pieces (stack interchanges)).

EDIT: release of V13 Opps! Sorry about that. I ment the Beta version 20 (V20) that was released this year.

Please use the modify button in the top right corner of your post instead of double posting thanks - JPlumbley

dragonshardz

i don't think v20 is a 'beta' version anymore...