• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamJam

Quote from: metarvo on October 21, 2008, 05:56:23 PM
I'm always having to convert my RHW's to Ave. or OWR for one reason or another.

That reminds me... is there a transition for RHW<-->Maxis highway? As much as I love the look and functionality of the RHW, I still use the Maxis highways around the older sections of my city because it has that "gritty and compact" urban look to it and I tend to reserve the RHW for the 'burbs. Using an avenue to connect them is, well, ugly as sin. LOL

deathtopumpkins

SamJam: There was one in this past version... though it looks about the same as an avenue connection.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

TEG24601

Quote from: SamJam on October 22, 2008, 02:22:25 AM
That reminds me... is there a transition for RHW<-->Maxis highway? As much as I love the look and functionality of the RHW, I still use the Maxis highways around the older sections of my city because it has that "gritty and compact" urban look to it and I tend to reserve the RHW for the 'burbs. Using an avenue to connect them is, well, ugly as sin. LOL

I use the RHW<->Maxis Highway all the time, as I usually use Maxis Highways for the realism of urban centers (plus having compact interchanges) and use the RHW for more rural areas, as then it is more realistic, plus I like to use tunnels, and want to keep up the capacity and velocity of a highway in them, or for special overpasses.

TEG

JGCarter

Yeah, usually my RHWs terminate in the industrial or commercial area as surface roads while I use Maxis highways to weave through the tight areas. Its easier to make smaller interchanges and take a smaller footprint. But outside of my packed areas, you'll only see RHWs.

MandelSoft

I use sometimes RHW-6 to Maxis Highway, but that doesn't look good. I hope that this issue will be fixed in the next version. (I sent Tarkus the model)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

Quote from: mrtnrln on October 22, 2008, 09:29:05 AM
I use sometimes RHW-6 to Maxis Highway, but that doesn't look good.

I agree.  In addition, I tried that myself, and DrawPaths indicated that the transition was not functional.  As a result, I had to transition the RHW-6 to RHW-4 before transitioning to Maxis Highway.

EDIT: Right you are, Maarten.  Something about that transition doesn't seem right.  It's just the best option that I have right now.  At least it does function.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

MandelSoft

Quote from: metarvo on October 23, 2008, 05:37:59 AM
I agree.  In addition, I tried that myself, and DrawPaths indicated that the transition was not functional.  As a result, I had to transition the RHW-6 to RHW-4 before transitioning to Maxis Highway.

Still, I want a better transition. It's unrealistic that a 6-lane highway has a transistion to a 4-lane highway to make a next transition with a 6-lane highway. Get the whole point?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

CasperVg

I've had some fun while using the RHW v21 (alpha) for awhile today, and, with Alex' (Tarkus) permission, here's something I came up with...

I agree that the whole thing is seriously unrealistic, but it shows the possibilities that the RHW v21 will include...

P.S.: Please bear in mind, the whole thing is still fairly rough, so the fact that I show this picture does not, in any way, mean that it will be released very soonly; but you never know...
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

XL2007

Quote from: caspervg on October 23, 2008, 11:05:58 AM
I've had some fun while using the RHW v21 (alpha) for awhile today, and, with Alex' (Tarkus) permission, here's something I came up with...

I agree that the whole thing is seriously unrealistic, but it shows the possibilities that the RHW v21 will include...

P.S.: Please bear in mind, the whole thing is still fairly rough, so the fact that I show this picture does not, in any way, mean that it will be released very soonly; but you never know...

Will I be able to build overpasses over the multiple lanes?

Andreas

Andreas

gn_leugim

JGCarter

Quote from: Andreas on October 23, 2008, 11:27:56 AM

Question, since this is a high speed freeway that is obviously meant to carry large volumes traffic, will there be a divider between the two roadways?

Other than that, this is hot!!! I really liked that local/express setup! I better start widening the medians in my city to accomodate the wider roadways! I'll probaly do a 3-2-2-3 setup and a 4-4-4-4 at the commuter crossing (this strip of land that crosses the river). Looking forward to it coming out, Tarkus...thanks for all your hard work!!!!

EDIT:
Holy cow!!! Is that a RHW 10 I see?!?!?!?! My traffic woes are coming to an end!!! Just for kicks Im going to make a 5-5-5-5 local/express setup!

CasperVg

While Andreas posted a response to that before I did, I thought this picture might still be relevant... As you can see, avenue's overpassing RHWs with every width are  possible and completely functional...

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Andreas

Quote from: JGCarter on October 23, 2008, 11:44:18 AM
Question, since this is a high speed freeway that is obviously meant to carry large volumes traffic, will there be a divider between the two roadways?

There are some median props (jersey barriers) available, but they need to be T21'd properly first. As caspervg said, it's still a bit rough, a few items are missing, and the textures need some refinement here and there. But generally speaking, a lot more will be doable than with RHW v20. :)
Andreas

pagenotfound

I dont know what to say so I'll let my little smiley friends help.

:o :o ;D ;D &apls &apls :thumbsup:

Edit: I smell something coming up on the horizon  :D
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Danthe

It looks fantastic!  &apls &apls &apls

And gentle curves and departure puzzles will be provided for to multi RHW?

Houston_Fan

I seriously can't wait to get my hands on this, since I'm such a roadgeek.  I've made some very impressive interchanges with one-way roads before, and I am so pumped about RHW v21...  Keep up the good work!

j-dub

All I can say is, that the RHW has too much planned. So much stuff, it still has yet to be taken care of. As you can see, its real easy to do 20 lanes, I know the pic below is 16 lanes, but again nothing stops you from changing where those 3 lanes are into 5, you just need the land, and maybe money to build.

Haljackey

Looking awesome everyone!  I agree with JGCarter though, a median at the side would put icing on the cake!  Remember though, this is still in alpha, and you will see more added later.

This may be a bit off topic, but has anyone considered making a ploppable 1x1 median tile for the centre of a RHW?  I have yet to find a decent divider for my networks.

Cya around!

Best,
-Haljackey